Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
April 02, 2010, 04:48:18 PM
What about

Order From Chaos

Order From Chaos is definitely worth checking out, if nothing else then for historic reasons.

April 02, 2010, 07:24:31 PM
Yeah, Order From Chaos seems to be great discovery. Sounds like Angel Corpse done esoteric and even more chaotic.

What about Negură Bunget?

April 03, 2010, 09:36:17 AM
http://www.deathmetal.org/2010/death-metal-album-of-the-week-order-from-chaos-stillbirth-machine

THIS is the kind of Death Metal that I like.  Are there any modern bands with a similar sound (which are actually good)?

I second the Canadian suggestions above; also, have you explored the Down Under school?

April 04, 2010, 04:37:06 AM
The second album is more speed metal/riff based, probably closer to OFC, but nowhere near as good as the debut.

While I agree with most of the post, I have to disagree with this.  "The Distracting Stone" is quite possibly one of the most ferocious and brilliant albums in the so called "war metal" movement.  "River of Corticone" is great, but falls short of the sonic onslaught of the follow up.  The beautifully controlled chaotic rage is something I have not heard reproduced by any other act, not even Axis of Advance.
"Love thy neighbour" is a fucking joke, for few are worthy of my love.

April 05, 2010, 04:13:02 AM
Nothingnowhere, thanks for the recommendation, i enjoy Aphex Twin. This is very much what I was looking for. Deep music. very deep.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

MLK

April 09, 2010, 02:49:14 PM
nah i dont want to hear something EXACTLY like EDS, i just want another dark ambient dimension to step into like that of  Electric Doom Synthesis!  I dont mind Dark Ages, their stuff is pretty cool, but its not deep, its creepy and thats about it.  I'll try those others that you have mentioned though, Thanks!

Mushin:

http://hiarctow.com/music/mushin/

The first album has an aesthetic and feeling very similar to EDS. Amateurish, but effective. Listening to it you feel like a lone rogue going through the deserted streets of a Judge Dredd-type future city at the time of curfew.

Haven't listened to the most recent release, but I guess it's along the same lines

Same lines, bit more accomplished. has a nice gritty cyberpunk feel.

Xr

April 09, 2010, 07:45:14 PM
For people interested in music broadly being categorized as 'neoclassical', I can recommend Qntal's 'Silver Swan' beside their other offerings of course. Although obviously done with commercial success in mind (and thus at times ripe with cheese), the album is done with competence and might appeal to those who fancy Summoning as well as Dead Can Dance.

Another ambitious project from the same niche is Ophelia's Dream who whose efforts are impressive despite their synthetic approach.

Yet one more recording I enjoyed lately is Vangelis' soundtrack to the movie El Greco. I don't know the film, but the music reflects the contemplation of a sound mind and is gently moving.

For people who appreciate Kraftwerk, Anthony Rother's early album 'Sex With The Machines' and other early works might be worth a try, although these are rather done with the dancefloor in mind; however, they are not without merit.

Some seem to enjoy the overrated Aphex Twin. For a superior listening, try Squarepusher instead. Good start: 'Ultravisitor' or the more recent 'Hello Everything'.

For folkies I can't stress enough my recommendation of In Gowan Ring. Look for 'The Glinting Spade' for a start. A real dark folk album for murky brooding nights is Alethes' 'Aletheia'. Sturmpercht create some genuine German alpine folk music that is pleasantly weird.

(some might disagree with the categorization of these bands as original folk music, but in times of societal uprooting and divergence as ours are, this may be more than valid)

An exhaustive minimal ambient Black Metal journey may be found within Fauna's album 'Rain'.

April 10, 2010, 01:45:06 AM
I had heard "River Of Corticone" about a year ago and had dismissed it for being too random and unfocused. With new ears, I listened to the youtube link's song. I'll give the album another chance, seems sort of like Angel Corpse plus Aurora Borealis.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 10, 2010, 06:14:58 PM
An exhaustive minimal ambient Black Metal journey may be found within Fauna's album 'Rain'.
I feel constrained by a sense of duty to contradict this suggestion.  I would call it instead an exhuasting, bloated mockery of black metal, which is a 'journey' by virtue of length only and 'ambient' insofar as the guitar is either muddied in an indeterminate haze or playing endless arpeggio over drone riffs, both of which halfheartedly attempt to distract the listener from this music's utter lack of meaningful composition.  Like getting Weakling or Drudkh third or fourth hand, or the equivalent of drinking tepid still water.

April 12, 2010, 07:36:03 PM
What about Mithras and Brutality?

April 13, 2010, 12:42:27 AM
What about Mithras and Brutality?

Brutality has been brought up in this thread before, they are worth checking out.
In the olden days one could just smash an impudent peasant in the face with a walking-cane, but now you'll get arrested for assault if you do that.

April 13, 2010, 03:07:31 AM
hideous miscreation
 rib spreader
arkaik
the elaysian fields
obsidian
Mephistopheles
Sotajumala
Cerekloth
sceptic
Empty Grace
dismal lapse
psycofagist
nox

April 13, 2010, 05:43:39 AM
hideous miscreation
 rib spreader
arkaik

Hideous Miscreation - What's pop with extreme deathcore metal?  they've got it!  Avoid.
Rib Spreader - They understand how to clone oldschool!!!!! Whoa!!!!  Check out Older Autopsy or Dismember instead..
Arkaik -  Deeds of Flesh disciple, didn't take the time to listen to fully, I figure it's easier just to listen to the father, similar to most unique leader offerings.

I wouldn't expect much out of any of the bands you listed, granted I'm not going to bother with any more of them.
In the olden days one could just smash an impudent peasant in the face with a walking-cane, but now you'll get arrested for assault if you do that.

April 13, 2010, 05:57:00 AM
Sotajumala is a disappointing take at modernizing the Finnish death metal sound by excising groove in favour of chugging simplicity, and covering the whole thing with a slick, plastic, and stale production.  Not worth the time it takes to listen to.
"Love thy neighbour" is a fucking joke, for few are worthy of my love.

April 13, 2010, 01:29:39 PM
hideous miscreation
 rib spreader
arkaik

Hideous Miscreation - What's pop with extreme deathcore metal?  they've got it!  Avoid.
Rib Spreader - They understand how to clone oldschool!!!!! Whoa!!!!  Check out Older Autopsy or Dismember instead..
Arkaik -  Deeds of Flesh disciple, didn't take the time to listen to fully, I figure it's easier just to listen to the father, similar to most unique leader offerings.

I wouldn't expect much out of any of the bands you listed, granted I'm not going to bother with any more of them.
LMAO  to each his own opinion