Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
April 29, 2010, 03:41:24 AM
Don't bother.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

April 29, 2010, 04:34:22 AM
Agreed. Standard Beherit/Archgoat/Blasphemy worship. Doesn't even do a good job of that.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 30, 2010, 02:42:22 AM
Could I point people in the direction of these guys:

http://www.myspace.com/bakofficial

Something very different to what's being done by most bands at the moment!

May 07, 2010, 10:04:51 AM
Martyrium is uneven and haphazard German ancient occult metal. Good in atmosphere only. Tiamat's first album "Sumerian Cry" is basically their only concise statement - evil death metal in simplistic, primitive structures reminiscent of Grave and Entombed, with a ponderous tempo suggesting catacomb rituals. Psychedelic influences (drugs?) worsened their music disc by disc. I liked Hypocrisy's "Osculum Obscenum" back in the day, but again, if you want the complexity and melodic intricacies of Dismember et al., you will not find it there. In fact, most of the time it's like an even more stupid Deicide. For other Swedish death/black of the time, you could do worse than check out the compilation by Daniel Ekeroth.

May 07, 2010, 06:30:36 PM
Ungod
AWESOME. Circle of the Seven Infernal Pacts is, without exception, *the* single best piece of black metal to come from Germany. If there is one black metal album that can be said to be a forgotten classic, it is their debut. Conquering What Once Was Ours is very good as well.

Martyrium's "LVX Occulta"
Haven't heard it in a long time. When I did, I found it decent. There are better results at the same attempt, though(Anubis' comes to mind, but I haven't heard that in al ong time either).

God Macabre
Excellent. Very close to what you specifically said you were looking for - Swedish death metal with an organic sound and epic mood.

EDIT because I somehow forgot Ungod's first was not self-titled :)

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."

May 08, 2010, 12:28:56 AM

And recomedations for even more great swedish death/black beyond the obvious (Dismember, Therion, Necrophobic, Sacramentum, ect...)?

Preferably with an organic sound and epic mood over the typical filthy punk-rhythmic swed death.
Opus Nocturne by Marduk is not only their only good album, it's also really fucking good.

Dissection's first two and At the Gates' first are also worthy if you haven't heard them already.

May 08, 2010, 07:45:29 PM
Acrostichon - great old-school death from the Netherlands.

May 09, 2010, 05:19:49 AM
Ungod
AWESOME. Their self-titled album is, without exception, *the* single best piece of black metal to come from Germany. If there is one black metal album that can be said to be a forgotten classic, it is their debut. Conquering What Once Was Ours is very good as well.

Nox Intempesta would like a word.

May 09, 2010, 12:27:31 PM
Nox Intempesta can be happy with second-place standing.

May 11, 2010, 01:09:11 PM
Thoughts about Pensees Nocturnes from France - are they worth it?

May 11, 2010, 03:14:55 PM
Thoughts about Pensees Nocturnes from France - are they worth it?

They've been mentioned a few times in this thread.

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,3152.435.html

tl;dr - They're good. Check out "Vacuum".
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

May 16, 2010, 01:12:00 PM
Looking for opinions/information on Himinbjorg's latest release and Hooded Menace's latest
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

May 16, 2010, 03:36:56 PM
Are there any bands that have lyrics similar to Atheist's (specifically on Unquestionable Presence)?

May 22, 2010, 09:04:40 PM
Is the first demo of Midnight Odyssey worth it?
Master of broken english!

May 22, 2010, 11:01:28 PM
me too man i searched through a bunch of Dark Ambient, but most is lame gothy techno.  I dont know if anything is going to come close to EDS.  I had to buy that album on LP as soon as i heard it! 

feck, im craving more of this sound. I cant describe how good EDS is, not even the DLA review does it justice. Everytime I listen to it I just discover more and more how fucking mind exploding/devastating/fucking it is. Pure spiritual envolopement and tribal worship, mystic dark infinity! I have got about the same results as you searching through dark industrial and the like. NEED MOAR.

It's a different flavor, but I think you guys are going to really like Lord Wind.   I will specifically recommend checking out the 2nd album Heralds of Fight for making the jump from EDS/Beherit over to Lord Wind.  After that, I am sure you will want to check out Atlantean Monument.   Lord Wind is also recommended for Graveland aficionados.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion