Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
June 04, 2010, 01:05:24 AM
Curious to hear what members think about a project spearheaded by a former Dismember/Carnage member:

http://www.myspace.com/necronaut666

Sounds like Dismember meets Autopsy.  Something to keep an eye on IMO, especially if they go the way of the second track.  Sounds like a cover, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.  Tasteful and spirited in any case.

June 04, 2010, 01:38:14 AM
Oddly enough, I quite liked it.  The second track was definitely better, but I thought they were both above average.

June 04, 2010, 07:03:05 AM
I gave In the Woods' first album a try a while back, and I've never been more bored. So many bands listen to Burzum's droning style on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, and rather than go through the arduous task of figuring out why that album is great, they just assume that repetitive=good and put like three boring riffs end to end for two hours or so. Layer some ambient keyboard over it, and you've got an "avantgarde masterpiece". Personally, I'd go for Graveland's Immortal Pride instead: it's got a similar aesthetic, but it does a lot more with it.

That is a rather accurate summation of the album, although I find enjoyment in it.  However, that album gives a very inaccurate picture of how good this band really is.  Their follow up, "Omnio", is far superior and I would highly recommend giving it a listen.  They dropped the annoying Burzum worship that disrupted the continuity of the first album and trimmed much of the fat from the compositions (although they are still lengthy) resulting in a much more "progressive" sound for lack of a better term.  I like to think of it as what modern Amorphis could have sounded like if they decided to not suck.  They continued this evolution on their follow up, "Strange in Stereo", but it started to wander a little too far for me to claim it is as good as "Omnio".

June 05, 2010, 10:45:20 AM
Yes : I have Close to the edge, Relayer, Tales..., Going for the one and off course Fragile.
They are all decent, but Fragile might be the best from these. Relayer is their most proggy thing, more technical than ever. Really something worth to check out. I enjoy Going for the one probably more than the typical yes fan, but I must admit it's a very catchy release. You can already hear the happyness from Tormato echoing in this one.

Anybody heard the new Blood of kingu (sun in the house of the scorpion) yet?

July 02, 2010, 02:36:13 PM
Endezzma - great MCD recently released on Agonia Recs. Band members of Kvist, Beastcraft etc.

Skog
Malhkebre

July 02, 2010, 10:15:04 PM
I'm also curious about:

Maudlin of the Well
King Crimson (I have In the Court.. and Red. anything else worth it?)
Yes (I have Fragile.)
St. Vitus (anything besides Born too Late?)
Sleep
Watchmaker (this Grindcore band I found in the audiofile section. listened to some of it, sounds fucking awesome so far.)

I agree with deadite on Sleep: basically a dumbed-down version of Cathedral, goes nowhere, but is more competent than 99% of doom bands.

St. Vitus: everything up through the late 1980s is good.

Yes: I like their stuff, but the leftist lyrics get to me after awhile (leftism = decline to third world status). I would recommend Tales from Topographic Oceans or Relayer to start.

Watchmaker: surface treatment, Carbonized is better and less extreme but more musical.

Maudlin of the Well: ditto.

Was wondering about some early Norwegian bands:

Carpathian Forest
In the Woods
Forgotten Woods
Helheim
the other Helheim

All crap.

July 03, 2010, 12:09:17 AM
Was wondering about some early Norwegian bands:

Carpathian Forest
In the Woods
Forgotten Woods
Helheim
the other Helheim

All crap.

Yes, they're all crap.

July 06, 2010, 02:51:40 PM
thanks, Conservationist. ive never really listened to/read any of Yes' lyrics and now im definately not going to bother.

Anyone know if anything Mesrine did other than that 3-way split reviewed on the DLA is worth a damn?
any Thorns other than Grymyrk?
how about Isengard?

July 06, 2010, 03:18:10 PM
Thorns' self titled 2001 album is pretty good. A bit sterile cause of the production, but composition is as good as ever.

July 24, 2010, 09:34:14 PM
Goreaphobia. And if it's worth hearing, what releases?

July 26, 2010, 02:28:29 PM
Isengard "Hostmorke" is really good but it falls apart half way through. Throns is good but unfinished sounding so it's hard to listen to. Goreaphobia has two albums, the first is old stuff and the second is new stuff. Both are good if you like really high energy death metal. I get out my yoga mat and do calisthenics to it.

July 27, 2010, 01:36:50 AM
any Thorns other than Grymyrk?
Trondertun is good, but the post-jail stuff is garbage.

Goreaphobia. And if it's worth hearing, what releases?
Everything they've done is worthy.

August 01, 2010, 04:58:54 PM
What are your thoughts on Autopsy? I don´t see much disscusion on them around this site. Also thought on the new single?

August 01, 2010, 07:16:18 PM
What are your thoughts on Autopsy? I don´t see much disscusion on them around this site. Also thought on the new single?
That is because they are considered one of the indisputable greats; everything that can be said has already been said about them.

August 03, 2010, 08:29:27 PM
I'm wondering what the general consensus on some bands are since I've had them in my digital collection for a while now and used to be into them to a lesser/greater degree, but after throwing a lot of rubbish out and rediscovering the classic/death black, I'd love to know what is worth checking out again. Also, sorry for the length of the list. I would estimate that less than 10 if not less than 5 percent of these bands are actually worth delving into again, so maybe just list what's definitely worth it and perhaps the semi-decent material separately.

Aeon
Alarum
Alchemist
Alice in Chains
Angantyr
Angelcorpse
Anubis Gate
Arcturus
Ares Kingdom
Artillery
Aspid
Assessor