Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
August 26, 2010, 02:10:01 PM
Has anyone heard the Von Goat album?

August 27, 2010, 03:51:03 AM
Has anyone heard the Von Goat album?

No, and I'm not sure if I actually want to.

August 27, 2010, 05:22:17 PM
A few artists I would value an opinion on:

Absentia Lunae
Spite Extreme Wing
Nazxul
Cobalt
Sanctus Nex
Gigan
Battle Dagorath
Janvs
Dead Congregation
Funebrarum
Ehnahre

August 27, 2010, 11:13:17 PM
A few artists I would value an opinion on:

Absentia Lunae
Spite Extreme Wing
Nazxul
Cobalt
Sanctus Nex
Gigan
Battle Dagorath
Janvs
Dead Congregation
Funebrarum
Ehnahre

Dead Congregation has been mentioned several times throughout this thread; look through it.

Funebrarum - good bordering on great death metal. Kind of reminds me of early Finnish bands in the genre like Demigod. Also I'm a sucker for almost everything Daryl Kahan is involved in; the man really knows how to make music with lasting value. Any of this band's works are worth investigating.

Cobalt - shit. hipster garbage. avoid.

Nazxul - Aussie band which is quite eclectic. "Iconoclast" is an orchestral/symphonic endeavor, "Totem" is more avante garde and death metal influenced. Can't really go wrong, solid second tier black metal.

August 31, 2010, 04:15:44 AM
Looking for opinions on a few releases:

Isole - Throne of Void
Isole - Bliss of Solitude
Ereb Altor - By Honour
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part 2
Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace
Solitude Aeternus - Alone
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within
Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

August 31, 2010, 08:26:44 PM
King of the Dead is an absolutely essential album, one of the most extreme pre-death/black metal albums. If you're a fan of Deceased, it's especially worth listening to, if only to see where a lot of King Fowley's melodic ideas came from. Pretty much all of Cirith Ungol's stuff is worth listening to, and King of the Dead is their best album.

Keeper of the Seven Keys II is kinda lame compared to its predecessor, mostly because KotSK I was almost entirely written by Kai Hansen, whereas its sequel was penned mostly by his bandmates, who were a bit more hard rock/mainstream-minded. Personally, I'd just download the album and delete everything except for Eagle Fly Free, March of Time, I Want Out, and the title track.

September 03, 2010, 11:08:05 AM

September 03, 2010, 12:25:46 PM
Can anyone recommend anything akin to Disma? I've already done the obvious and checked into the members' other bands if I hadn't heard them already (Funebrarum, Incantation), and I was wondering if there was anything else that would be essential to listen to from that style.  Thanks.

September 04, 2010, 01:18:32 PM
Can anyone recommend anything akin to Disma? I've already done the obvious and checked into the members' other bands if I hadn't heard them already (Funebrarum, Incantation), and I was wondering if there was anything else that would be essential to listen to from that style.  Thanks.
How about Miasmal or Cruciamentum.  Or even rawer like Teitenblood.  Disma does pretty much rule though.

September 07, 2010, 02:11:20 PM

Vasaeleth

September 08, 2010, 09:02:37 PM
Disma, Vasaeleth, Dead Congregation, Krypt, Necros Christos, Impetuous Ritual, Ignivomous, Mefitic, Encoffination et al are peaking my interest in death metal again. It's been years since I took new music in metal seriously, but I approach this wave with more optimism than I have any metal since the beginning of the last decade. Everyone appears to have their own "best" or "only good one" out of this new wave of Incantatiomorphs. Even if their isn't a great consensus on this style yet, at least various bands are stimulating interest. I have not digested all the above mentioned bands yet. I'm really not used to having to listen to this many new albums with potential like this. I wonder how much of it is me tiring of shutting out the modern metal world, how much of it is actual quality, and how much of it is just evil, crawly doomy riffs skating a lot farther with metal fans like myself than revisited Carcass, Suffocation, Darkthrone, Burzum or Deicide concepts. I like where some of this stuff is already and where some of it could be going, but I also just wonder if this new charge of Blasphemous-Crawling-Blackened-Doomdeath will ever really get out of Incantation's shadow.

I am rooting for it.

September 08, 2010, 11:12:23 PM
Also - what would this genre of Incantatiomorphs be rightfully called? It seems to stretch all the way over to blasphemous over the top black metal based stuff like Teitanblood if you gauged the sub sub sub genre by the bands commonly being grouped together.

The most hilarious term I saw in a thread on here was "cave metal".

September 20, 2010, 05:43:03 PM
Truppensturm - Salute to the iron emperors.  BLACK WAR METAL.

September 21, 2010, 12:54:57 AM
The new Autopsy EP. Trust me.

September 24, 2010, 04:07:50 AM
Truppensturm