Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
September 24, 2010, 05:24:42 PM
looking for Allahu Akbar shit, like Birth AD.

September 25, 2010, 02:08:49 PM
How is the Finnish Carnifex?

September 26, 2010, 03:34:17 PM
Disma, Vasaeleth, Dead Congregation, Krypt, Necros Christos, Impetuous Ritual, Ignivomous, Mefitic, Encoffination et al are peaking my interest in death metal again. It's been years since I took new music in metal seriously, but I approach this wave with more optimism than I have any metal since the beginning of the last decade. Everyone appears to have their own "best" or "only good one" out of this new wave of Incantatiomorphs. Even if their isn't a great consensus on this style yet, at least various bands are stimulating interest. I have not digested all the above mentioned bands yet. I'm really not used to having to listen to this many new albums with potential like this. I wonder how much of it is me tiring of shutting out the modern metal world, how much of it is actual quality, and how much of it is just evil, crawly doomy riffs skating a lot farther with metal fans like myself than revisited Carcass, Suffocation, Darkthrone, Burzum or Deicide concepts. I like where some of this stuff is already and where some of it could be going, but I also just wonder if this new charge of Blasphemous-Crawling-Blackened-Doomdeath will ever really get out of Incantation's shadow.

I am rooting for it.

A huge thanks for this list of bands, especially Dead Congregation. Their newest LP is very well constructed.  And although I may be opening myself up to a shitstorm here, I quite enjoy the first four High on Fire albums.  Matt Pike's work in Sleep has been praised here in other threads, but I never see mention of HoF. Is it the connection with hipster metal that earns this band outsider status on this board?

September 28, 2010, 10:29:15 PM
Im interested in knowing what a live performance from Rotting Christ is like these days. I may have an opportunity to see them on their North American tour, but I am not sure the long journey would be worth it if they mostly play newer material.

September 29, 2010, 07:29:14 AM
I saw Rotting Chirst live together with Immolation about half a year ago. They were pretty damn awful. Lots of sing-along songs to clap your hands to. Just about everything the played was from the last decade. Avoid.

September 29, 2010, 08:49:44 AM
You may have saved me a 3 hour trip then, thank you.

What about Immolation for that matter? I will almost certainly be seeing them in October, with Vader.

Ohh yeah, I should add that I am of the opinion that everything after Unholy Cult is penis devouring (although I should probably give Shadows more then a cursory listen...).

September 29, 2010, 12:49:11 PM
Immolation is incredibly powerful live band, even the new material shines (or rather darkens and pounds into dust) with all of the energy in their live set. Recommended. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7opVXj2L2mA

September 29, 2010, 04:02:59 PM

What about Immolation for that matter? I will almost certainly be seeing them in October, with Vader.

Ohh yeah, I should add that I am of the opinion that everything after Unholy Cult is penis devouring (although I should probably give Shadows more then a cursory listen...).

I'm actually going to that tour tomorrow. If you'd like, I'll send you a link to the Examiner live review I will likely be writing. Never seen Vader so I can't comment on them; Immolation though I've seen 4 times (I believe) and each time they were stellar.

September 29, 2010, 05:53:55 PM

I'm actually going to that tour tomorrow. If you'd like, I'll send you a link to the Examiner live review I will likely be writing. Never seen Vader so I can't comment on them; Immolation though I've seen 4 times (I believe) and each time they were stellar.

That would be fantastic, thanks.

I heard a rumour that Vader will be playing De Profundis in it's entirety.

September 29, 2010, 07:26:11 PM

That would be fantastic, thanks.

I heard a rumour that Vader will be playing De Profundis in it's entirety.

Really? That is intriguing. Hopefully that rumor is true!

I'll likely write it some time this weekend, so expect it soon.

September 29, 2010, 08:32:59 PM

You're welcome. Immolation is indeed the exact opposite. I'm not much of a fan of the new material either, although I don't completely hate it, but it sounds a lot more vicious live. They have the good sense to throw in a handful of tracks from older albums as well. Highly recommended.

October 05, 2010, 06:31:39 AM
Wodensthrone's "Loss" is a great album if you're into epic atmospheric folky black metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecYsiGeauc

October 11, 2010, 05:40:08 AM
lord.spam - that Immolation/Vader show got cancelled. I can't write a review for a show I didn't attend.

On topic. I've seen G.I.S.M. mentioned several times on this forum. They're kind of crappy, but in a way that deems appreciation, if that makes any sense. They are pretty sloppy musicians, awful production, Engrish lyrics and all. However, for one interested in foundations of extreme metal, they're a good band to delve into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ud41hOUH3Y&feature=related - interesting how this song contains some black metal-ish guitar technique.

October 12, 2010, 04:24:23 PM
Cephalic Carnage, Gorguts, Obscura, Sons Of Aurelius, Decapitated, Origin, there are quite a few. Purely subjective opinion of course.

October 12, 2010, 04:27:07 PM
Cephalic Carnage, Gorguts, Obscura, Sons Of Aurelius, Decapitated, Origin, there are quite a few. Purely subjective opinion of course.

Are you asking for opinions on those bands? Or just suggesting them to people?