Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
November 11, 2010, 07:14:02 AM
I've heard much about Zemial (the Greek one), what's a good work of theirs to start out with?
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

November 11, 2010, 06:01:40 PM
My favorite release of theirs is the For the Glory of UR album. It's a bit like a second wave black metal take on Bathory's The Return, so I guess it's like... ifrst and a half wave black metal. It's pretty cool stuff, doesn't really sound like any of the other Greek bands at all.

November 12, 2010, 01:25:28 PM
I've heard much about Zemial (the Greek one), what's a good work of theirs to start out with?
Wait a sec.

Have you heard the Greek band Septic Flesh?

Possibly pushing the title of best Greek band. Period. Massive statement (and against the social order here), but perhaps you should pursue them if you haven't already.

November 12, 2010, 08:09:30 PM
Some bands on my to-do list:

Cain (Ita)
Fides Inversa
Minenwerfer
Mors Vincit Omnia
Ekpyrosis
Otargos
Malfeitor (Ita)
Tumulus Anmatus
Divine Codex
Black Flame
Frangar
Triptykon
Arkhon Infaustus
Adorior
Prosanctus Inferi
Son Of Earth
Witchrist
Vorum

November 13, 2010, 02:02:59 AM
Depressor any good? From what I've heard (limited) it was very good.

peristil

November 13, 2010, 02:50:46 AM
Which depressor are you referring to?
Depressor (aus)  kills.

November 13, 2010, 03:18:07 AM
My apologies. Definitely meant Depressor (USA).

November 21, 2010, 04:06:27 AM
BLACK WITCHERY'S NEW ALBUM    "INFERNO OF SACRED DESTRUCTION"!!!!
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

November 23, 2010, 08:14:29 AM

Zemial is one of the very rare examples of bands which to my ears have simply kept getting better.

"For the Glory of Ur" and the rest of the cult classics had their primitive attraction, but it is the epic metal slab "In Monumentum" which continues to have my undivided, gasping attention still four years after the release. I'd nominate it the Greek album of the decade, yes, even above such pleasures as "Graves of the Archangels" and "The Horned Made Flesh". Envisioned as a tribute to the passing of Quorthon, the pounding sagas explore all the necessary "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" and "Twilight of the Gods" quotes with pride and grace but go even further back to Manowar and expressive FX drenched long guitar leads of 70's progressive hard rock. Try it!

November 23, 2010, 08:30:38 AM
^ I will try to re listen to them, I have only give them a cursory go though and it did not sit well with me. Also thank you for reminding me to find Legion of Doom material...

Inquisition's OMINOUS DOCTRINES OF THE PERPETUAL MYSTIKAL MACROCOSM as the best album I have heard this year. Highly recommended to all, even if one was never a fan of Inquisition other releases, this one MUST be heard!

November 27, 2010, 02:14:32 AM
Are any of the following bands worth listening to?

Marduk
Watain
Ofermod
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Triumphator
Mortuus
Funeral Mist
Sigrblot
Ondskapt

I've given Dark Funeral's "Secrets of the Black Arts" a cursory listen but it sounded generic and norsecorish.

November 27, 2010, 05:02:04 PM

Marduk
Watain
Ofermod
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Triumphator
Mortuus
Funeral Mist
Sigrblot
Ondskapt

I've given Dark Funeral's "Secrets of the Black Arts" a cursory listen but it sounded generic and norsecorish.

Marduk's good for a few songs until you realize they're all exactly the same.
6. Being thus in its nature; unseen it causes harmony; unmoving it transforms; unmoved it perfects.

November 27, 2010, 07:16:57 PM

Marduk
Watain
Ofermod
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Triumphator
Mortuus
Funeral Mist
Sigrblot
Ondskapt

One would think so since they half invented the style of generic norsecore black metal. The rest of these bands (except Dark Tranquility, and I've never heard of Sigrblot so I couldn't say for them) are all norsecore / orthodox black metal as well. Most of them either have a page on the DLA or have been talked about quite a bit here, a quick search would give you a general idea of what the attitude is on them around here.

November 28, 2010, 06:50:34 AM
Funeral Mist's debut is excellent, AVOID the second album like the (black) plague.

November 28, 2010, 11:45:02 AM
One would think so since they half invented the style of generic norsecore black metal. The rest of these bands (except Dark Tranquility, and I've never heard of Sigrblot so I couldn't say for them) are all norsecore / orthodox black metal as well.

An interesting case in fact for exploring the importance of concept and idea versus technique in black metal: the same bunch of people rotate in these bands while "orthodoxically" utilizing the same technique, but miraculously Sigrblot's "Blodsband", an album similar on surface but opened to a wider strain of Faustian/European ideas than mere "satanism" (in other words, actually having something to say) is probably the most artistically successful Swedish black metal album of the decade.

As for the rest of the list, I can agree that Funeral Mist's debut isn't bad as such, but also not a whole lot better than "Secrets of the Black Arts" and other earlier Swedish albums with similar intent but more textural (less fragmented) production style. If you want consistency, check out early Marduk which is satanic death metal, or early Dark Tranquillity which is At the Gates lite.