Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
December 05, 2010, 01:11:05 AM
Are the later albums of Tartaros, Hades, Gehenna and Dodheimsgard and Manes worth looking into?

December 05, 2010, 01:27:36 AM
Are the later albums of Tartaros, Hades, Gehenna and Dodheimsgard and Manes worth looking into?

NOPE.  let me recommend some other albums ;
Black Witchery - Inferno of sacred destruction ;
Vomitor - Devil's Poison ;
Conqueror - War Cult Supremacy ;
Inquistion - Into the infernal regions of the ancient cult;
Incantation - Mortal throne of nazarene;

He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

December 05, 2010, 10:58:20 PM
NOPE.
WRONG.
Tartaros' full-length release further perfects the demented style of their debut, adding more dissonant Thorns/Voivod-inspired riffs to the mix in order to emphasize the weirdness of their keyboard harmonies. The main flaw with this release is that the guitars are mixed a bit too loud, occasionally making it hard to hear some of the keyboard melodies at times. The full-length Thorns s/t is a good album, particularly the song Shifting Channels, which melds the echoing dissonance of the trademark Thorns black metal riff with a trance-inducing industrial/noise base. Also, Conqueror and Black Witchery suck on their full-lengths. Stick to their split album. Dødheimsgard's second album is about as good as their first, even if it's in a different style. It's a more atmospheric take on Aura Noir's first two albums, which makes sense because their new guitarist was from that band. After Monumental Possession, they took a serious nose-dive in quality, which led to most of the original members leaving the band.

December 05, 2010, 11:16:58 PM
NOPE.
. Also, Conqueror and Black Witchery suck on their full-lengths. Stick to their split album.

You really don't have an idea what your saying do you? The material on that split is basically a mini version of both of their full lengths, even the production is almost unchanged.

Black Witchery however are the definition of a band "selling in". Everything is regurgitated, the riffs are moronically obvious, the subject matter done with paint by numbers precision. This interview says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0saLvPNa4ZA - total monkeys.

Conqueror on the other hand is mandatory Canadian black metal.

December 06, 2010, 03:00:08 AM

Black Witchery however are the definition of a band "selling in". Everything is regurgitated, the riffs are moronically obvious, the subject matter done with paint by numbers precision. This interview says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0saLvPNa4ZA - total monkeys.

I disagree with this statement.  What are you exactly expecting from their music? what style have they sold into?  This band hasnt sold into anything, they have simplified and simplified their sound more and more with each album on purpose.  Unless you are just calling them copycats, their latest reminds me of a more savage version of Bestial Warlust.  This music is meant to crush, its war commands, not epic story telling.

December 06, 2010, 05:16:24 AM
Are any of the following bands worth listening to?

Marduk
Watain
Ofermod
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Triumphator
Mortuus
Funeral Mist
Sigrblot
Ondskapt

I've given Dark Funeral's "Secrets of the Black Arts" a cursory listen but it sounded generic and norsecorish.
Watain's first two albums are good.  Ofermod is excellent.  Mortuus's first EP was good, but the full length was... boring.  Funeral Mist's early stuff is good, "Salvation" is listenable, but a step down, and "Maranatha" is total crap.  Triumphator is good for an occasional listen if you want something fast and energetic, but with little depth- you won't come back to it much, so it's good for an mp3 download, but no purchase. 

Dark Funeral, Dark Tranquility, Sigrblot, and Ondskapt are crap.

December 06, 2010, 05:30:38 AM

I disagree with this statement.  What are you exactly expecting from their music? what style have they sold into?  This band hasnt sold into anything, they have simplified and simplified their sound more and more with each album on purpose.  Unless you are just calling them copycats, their latest reminds me of a more savage version of Bestial Warlust.  This music is meant to crush, its war commands, not epic story telling.

I love the brutal war metal style, and BW is a fucking abysmal example of it. They write shity riffs and organize them in a painfully blockheaded fashion.

Maybe not copy cats, but way too fucking stupid to do anything beyond the most obvious.

"Blasphemy, goats, hatred, desecration, darkness, and uhhh desecration....shit I already said that..."

December 06, 2010, 05:34:51 PM

You really don't have an idea what your saying do you? The material on that split is basically a mini version of both of their full lengths, even the production is almost unchanged.
The production on that split is way better than on either band's full-length, particularly on Conqueror's end.

December 06, 2010, 08:21:21 PM
Maybe one of the Texans here could help me with this. Is Desert of Shattered Hopes by Crucifixion from Houston worthwhile? Released 1993.

Also, what about Detest - Dorval? Thanks.

December 07, 2010, 02:42:38 AM
 Black Witchery is definently leaning more into the raging hate filled black abyss, than it is War Metal.  The thing i value in Black Witchery's music is the relentless battering onslaught they give, and how well they capture a rage induced adrenaline rush.  Next time you get into a fight with someone listen to some Black Witchery afterwards, the repetious simple riffs is exactly what is going on in my brain, and the screams are the rage burning inside.

All this bickering aside, Black Witchery's new album is WORTH a listen

December 07, 2010, 05:18:08 AM

The production on that split is way better than on either band's full-length, particularly on Conqueror's end.

Doesn't matter much. Conqueror's full length just sounds like a complete barrage of noise. It's extremity taken to ridiculous levels. Excellent music for working out, and just really energetic. It's main driving force is its main strength, as well as its weakness. Either way, I never get tired of that album.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

December 07, 2010, 07:05:08 AM
Extremity taken to ridiculous levels??  maybe for you young padawan.

December 07, 2010, 10:06:07 PM
Is Desert of Shattered Hopes by Crucifixion from Houston worthwhile? Released 1993.

Very much so. It's also very cheap to buy, since not many people know about this album yet. I'd describe them as an earlier version of later The Chasm albums, with most of the 80s tendencies replaced with blasting Deicide and Immolation-type stuff. It's dark and occult, but also pretty brutal.

December 08, 2010, 12:56:10 AM
Extremity taken to ridiculous levels??  maybe for you young padawan.

Sorry if you're going to tell me 5 obscure bands that are more extreme but less artistically valid. Not interested.

Within the metal genre, particularly an "extreme" genre such as black metal, Conqueror is among the top tier of pure violent reckless abandon. One can tell just by listening to the recording a few times how intensely hard these musicians are playing. Very demanding material from a technical aspect, but besides that each song exhibits almost completely non cyclical structures, apart from perhaps a few instances where lyrics are repeated. They are not of the first tier of innovation like a Burzum or a Nihilist, but they definitely dragged black metal in another direction that took people a few years to understand. By using a similar technique used in "Transylvanian Hunger" and coupling that with Blasphemy's chaos and some slight grindcore influence, Conqueror succeeds in forging their own sound from which only Blasphemy even came close before them.

I'll admit it all sounded like noise to me the first few listens; it was the pure insanity of it that kept me curious about it. Eventually, as with all great albums, I learned to decipher it and now it is among my favorite black metal albums.

In terms of extremity, it is not the most extreme album, but that's like saying a 95 on a test score is not good because it is not a 98.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.