Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
January 08, 2012, 09:37:10 PM
Sol Invictus is pretty good and use to be one of my favorite bands.  Their early music was a kind of martial style of neo-folk with lyrics which spoke in very clear terms against using religion as a tool to rationalize murdering millions of people, whether it be the pagans or modern day politicans doing favors for banks.  The later music is more orchestrated and acoustic and takes on a British identity and touches on some more basic Bristish styles of folk music along with it's classical influence.

Tony Wakeford who heads the band use to be in the NF in the 80s, but for those looking for NS Neo-folk, look elsewhere.  The most militant thing he does is fight for animal rights.

January 10, 2012, 01:48:13 AM
Here's an interesting one geographically at least; Taarma is supposedly from Zhob, Balochistan. Balochistan is a province of Pakistan and is extremely "underdeveloped"; mostly tribal. The people fight the infiltration of the government at every turn. It could be bullshit but is mostly credible. Anyway, here it is, fairly accomplished for a droning band I guess :/

There's lots of other little interesting ones, of varying quality:

-Burzukh
-Myosis: Personally don't care that much for them, but they are interesting.

And one non-metal favorite, highly recommended with the caveat that it has strong rock elements: 1 and 2

Edit: Headhunter D.C. is utterly mediocre, avoid.

January 11, 2012, 02:16:27 AM
Other possible lost gems -- from reliable sources, but sometimes my taste/discernment is based on a different matrix of selection:

DREAM DEATH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByzYczOTQNA

This band isn't bad. Kind of like a doomier Autopsy at parts, at other times like a hardcore punk band, this falls within the same realm as Impetigo or Sadistik Exekution in its sprinkling of various metal genres throughout its sound. Kind of hokey, though.

DEAD BOYS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksJW4B2mIM

Pretty cool early punk band. Not on the same level as Black Flag, Misfits, or The Stooges, but still enjoyable for the style.

TOTAL FUCKING DESTRUCTION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUouGyeTqak
Side project of Rich Hoak, drummer of Brutal Truth. 3 words - Really. Freaking. Annoying.

LARM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5LB4K3tRXI

Dutch hardcore punk band. Like Siege and Cryptic Slaughter, an early example of the genre morphing into grindcore. Incredibly fast and energetic, but can turn incoherent and repetitive. I enjoy them, but casual grind/hardcore/"powerviolence" fans should avoid.

INTEGRITY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHJrg1W7Q0

Along with Rorschach, Human Remains, Neuraxis, Burnt By The Sun, and a few select others, this band is one of the few metalcore bands worth spending any time on. Though composition is simple, primitive even; there is spirit and drive behind the early material. I cannot comment on later material (past the 3rd album) as I've not heard it. Can remind of neanderthalish-type hardcore kids, but those moments are few and far between.

LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4oCDNGtIQ

Probably the extension of extremity within the grindcore genre. They were fantastic live. As for their studio work, the last two albums they produced can barely be called grindcore, as the music is simply a mess of blasting, gurgling, and fuzzy guitar/bass work. The earlier material is in the Carcass/Exhumed/Hemdale vein. For what it is, pretty good all around. Casual grind fans would probably not enjoy this.

BLITZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQhLZH-fnmM

Simple, punchy, vibrant early UK punk. Catchy, great for working out to.

BLUE OYSTER CULT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcPt7NnhwvA
As far as rock music goes, they're in the top 10% of quality. "Agents of Fortune" and "Tyranny and Mutation" each contain about half an album's worth of creative, evocative "space" rock, with progressive and heavy metal influences. They have a penchant for writing a few duds, with halfformed ideas that make little sense. I wouldn't bother with most of the 1980s material.

Hope this helps out some people.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

January 12, 2012, 11:59:52 PM
Thanks for the assessments. I ended up gravitating toward the keyboard and martial industrial bands, which like most industrial seem to me to be cool but then turn into wallpaper music. Still struggling with this. the Triarii track is the foremost offender!

January 14, 2012, 07:37:28 AM
More people need to listen to that Gnome band that was just posted in Audiofile. Really reminds me of HLTO, but also has its own identity.

February 12, 2012, 09:06:46 PM
Saw this in the Demoncy thread.

As we're waiting, let us listen to Blight and Darkness by Sperm of Antichrist, the closest thing to Joined in Darkness that I've ever heard.

Out of curiosity I looked this band up. Link here.

Honestly, pretty intriguing stuff. I thought I'd share it here. It reminds me of a slower, perhaps doomier Beherit. Mixed in with some Incantation-ish and Demoncy-ish moments. I'll have to see how it holds up to future listens, but initial impression is a B/B+.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 12, 2012, 09:38:11 PM
Sperm of Antichrist recently put out another demo under the name Void Meditation Cult. I recommend it. The demo is a vast improvement over their previous work.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

February 16, 2012, 05:13:41 AM
Sperm of Antichrist recently put out another demo under the name Void Meditation Cult. I recommend it. The demo is a vast improvement over their previous work.

Will look into it, thanks.

Any opinions on Törr? Are they in the same vein as stuff like Root or Master's Hammer?
No.

February 19, 2012, 07:52:46 PM
Okay, I'm to lazy to see if these names have landed on this thread but anyway, I recommend Stutthof albums and Acherontas, both from Greece. They make majestic, captivating, Emperor/Gorgoroth worshiping Mediterranean black metal.

March 07, 2012, 08:19:35 PM
Ulcerate

Furia (from Poland)

August 13, 2012, 11:49:10 PM
Any opinions on Spaceboy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlIEibVqxM

I'm trying to find a decent upload for Audiofile. Making my way through what I can find. Not impressed, but I've never really heard anything like it.

Edit: Band sucks ignore this shit.

August 15, 2012, 09:17:54 PM
Ulcerate

I have to say I appreciate what this band goes for, but it's really not up my alley. It's a bit too disorganized for me. Not bad though.

This band's for fans of grindcore, so I'll just mention that off the bat for those who dislike the genre.

Excruciating Terror

album - Divided We Fall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=8UAqrB2C1AU
(note this video is songs from the album arranged in a haphazard order, don't know why that is)

I've really been listening to these guys a lot lately along with the genre classics (Blood, Napalm Death, Terrorizer, etc), and while it's not on the same level, it comes pretty close to the heyday of the genre in its quality. It's some of the last grindcore to integrate the Discharge/G.B.H. and Swedish punk influences of the genre effectively, it mixes it well with American styled hardcore and a sprinkling of death metal elements. The vocals are the most obvious aesthetically, but some of the riff progressions blend grind riffs in a way that reminds me of an Americanized Blood: by mixing it with death metal-ish phrasing. I say -ish because these aren't your Immolation or Dismember type riffs - remember this is all through a grindcore (punk) filter. The phrases aren't as long - they're more like motifs.

I give 'em an A-. Enjoy.
No.

September 02, 2012, 05:46:24 AM
Some of the more interesting BM I've heard recently:

Void Meditation Cult live
Featuring songs from their latest demo and the Sperm of Antichrist demo. Unsuprisingly, the cover song of the set is Joined In Darkness. :)

Ascension is an anonymous 5-piece that most likely features all the three members of Katharsis. Their music represents the same breed with Aidspell Omega, Katharsis and Watain, but I'd dare to say that this is better than any of those, par Katharsis' 666.

Cultes Des Ghoules deviates from the typical Polish BM sound(of mostly boring Marduk worship) with a more visceral and primitive sound, drawing influence from Hellhammer and early Mütiilation.

Aosoth's latest features more DMDS-influenced sound than Antaeus/Aosoth has ever had before, this could be a good direction.

Nyogthaeblisz is pretty noisy even by war metal standards, sounding like earliest Beherit and VON observed through the lense of Last Days of Humanity. It's messy and over-the-top, but in a long time, I haven't heard metal that would scream so hard for POSER HOLOCAUST. :)

September 02, 2012, 06:52:25 PM
Are the later albums of Tartaros, Hades, Gehenna and Dodheimsgard and Manes worth looking into?

Gehenna - Both Murder and WW are quality records. Tight and Focused! Murder is absolutely vicious although structurally simple. WW explores (re-explores) a more explicit melodic sound. Stay clear of Admiron Black, it has some high points but it is a transition record and sounds rushed and confused at times.

I have never understood the lack of attention Gehenna recieves.......
"  Jesus Christ Submitted To The Roman Emperor At His Birth And At His Death: Jesus Christ Never Submitted to Man-Made Modern Democracy! "

September 15, 2012, 04:05:56 PM
What does everyone think of Lunar Aurora - Andacht?