Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
April 24, 2013, 02:55:34 AM
It would be hard for me to dislike Mentors. A significant amount of their music is considerably more creative/skillful than the output of almost any of the GG Allin's bands. Also, the lyrics/vocals of El Duce are exceptionally hilarious(the most honest man ever..).

----------------------------------------------

During the late eighties and early nineties, the development of death metal was starting to mature, with a lot of artists (more or less)completely separating themselves from speed metal. As a parallel development, certain artists remained to technically perfect the speed/death sound, creating some truly excellent metal: Examples of such artists could be Massacra, Rigor Mortis, Sadus and..

Demolition Hammer: While this artist is a bit more low-brow than the ones mentioned before, it's still very good.

April 24, 2013, 08:40:48 PM
http://avakr.bandcamp.com/

I think Avakr is worth checking out. Same guitarist as Thorr-axe, another band that I really love.

April 25, 2013, 12:57:26 AM

April 25, 2013, 01:31:22 AM
http://avakr.bandcamp.com/

I think Avakr is worth checking out. Same guitarist as Thorr-axe, another band that I really love.

Go whore your band in the commerce section, we can see right through that bullshit here.

April 26, 2013, 06:13:21 PM
NON
God and Beast is incredible.  "Lucifer, Morning Star", "The Law", and "Between Venus and Mars" are some of the best electronic songs ever.  "Total War" is also great, of course, but it pales next to those three.

The rest is good but not essential.  If you want more, your best bets are "Children of the Black Sun" and "Back to Mono".

This. NON is the best "noise artist" around. His stuff is harsh, but it's not the barrage of white noise/static that people like Merzbow make.

July 13, 2013, 11:36:05 PM
I just went through all the pages in this thread, wow , its funny to see what bands i was into even just two years ago.  I got a bit of chuckle out of the Black Witchery defense I attempted to give. Man that band has gotten more boring than ever.  I see they now copy the on-stage fashion of their idols Blasphemy, i guess the robes got a little gay or something. 

I wanted to get some insight on Manilla Road, I've heard some great things about them and apparently all their albums are top notch, but those could be lies and maybe they only have one outstanding album.  Also im a big fan of King Of The Dead, Court In The Act, Angel Witch's S/T and Crimson Glory if anyone has any other recommendations for Heavy Metal albums of that greatness!

July 14, 2013, 01:10:04 AM
Listen to Crystal Logic at least. All their other albums are hit or miss with me. But I have super-high standards for heavy metal.

July 14, 2013, 02:35:45 AM
I've listened to quite a bit of Manilla Road - everything from 1983 to 1990, and everything from 2002 to 2008. While the quality varies, they are consistently capable of producing at least some good content on each album - fans of heavy/power metal will definitely enjoy.

Crystal Logic is what I would call a "good" album - note that it wears its Black Sabbath influence as a badge of honor. I tend to prefer the band's mid-80's output, particularly The Deluge (1986) and Mystification (1987), which both incorporate substantial speed/power influence. The post reformation material is slower paced and has more varied song structures, but is less consistent - Spiral Castle and Voyager have peaks similar to the band's early work.

July 14, 2013, 03:41:46 PM
Crystal Logic is the only really worthwhile Manilla Road release. The next couple of albums are more ambitious conceptually and show an advancement of technique but the content isnt quite as good as Crystal Logic. If you enjoy heavy metal / dont mind power metal they are well above average. Really disagree about post reformation stuff. Spiral Castle was very disappointing, it sounds comparatively detached and phoned-in which is really, really bad for the brand of heavy metal that Manilla Road favours. Missed Voyager so cant comment on that but I would assume the drop in quality is consistent around that period.

July 14, 2013, 04:05:06 PM
thanks for the replies, i loaded up Crystal Logic on my mp3 player so i will give it a listen on this fine sunday morning!

July 16, 2013, 03:25:30 AM
Man, that Manilla Road album , Crystal Logic was a snooze fest.  They totally rip off one of Angel Witch's songs riff for riff.  I will give the next Manilla Road album a listen though to see if things improve.

July 25, 2013, 11:55:45 PM
By the way Ulver is super gay and everybody should avoid their music, a 100% total sell in band from the beginning.

July 26, 2013, 03:36:59 AM
By the way Ulver is super gay and everybody should avoid their music, a 100% total sell in band from the beginning.

I personally like the first album but I never considered it black metal. I listen to it when i'm in a mood for light music. The same goes for the second album (the folk one).

July 27, 2013, 03:25:38 AM
Cannibal Ritual sticks in my mind as one of the most shockingly intense and disturbing songs I have ever heard. How do you all feel about this track? and the rest of the album?

July 27, 2013, 04:14:22 AM
No idea if anybody posted them yet in this thread cuz i'm new, but Chemical Breath fucking slays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQ7KeiMq5o

as does Nox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-DADePF0c