Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
July 29, 2013, 05:04:52 PM
Cannibal Ritual sticks in my mind as one of the most shockingly intense and disturbing songs I have ever heard. How do you all feel about this track? and the rest of the album?

You seem to be replying to something else?

If you're talking about the song by Impetigo, it rules; and so does the album haha.

July 30, 2013, 12:59:14 AM
By the way Ulver is super gay and everybody should avoid their music, a 100% total sell in band from the beginning.

I disagree on the grounds that Ulver took a respectable route "out" of metal by admitting to themselves and everyone else that Nattens Madrigal was a joke and went balls-deep into electronica-fied Pink Floydism.

Even the band members themselves have said that their black metal was silly and immature and represented no useful expression.

Blood Inside is one album too check out thoroughly before developing a grounded opinion on Ulver's music. It is quite unlike other electronica albums, so much that it is not useful to call it electronica; it is not standard or easily classifiable music. I agree that it would be better for Ulver to begin life with that kind of openness, but probably they had to begin in a rigid framework in order to realize how far out of it they could expand.

July 30, 2013, 04:10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5TueQOtrO0

Saw this girl open for Swans last week. She puts on a hell of a show. Definitely worth a listen.

July 30, 2013, 06:49:19 PM
Cannibal Ritual sticks in my mind as one of the most shockingly intense and disturbing songs I have ever heard. How do you all feel about this track? and the rest of the album?

If you're talking about the song by Impetigo, it rules; and so does the album haha.

I assume he's talking about the song off O Agios Pethane?

July 31, 2013, 01:30:21 AM

I assume he's talking about the song off O Agios Pethane?

Oh well either way, shit rules. Both great bands and albums. Though I think I'd favor Blood as I'm practically a fucking fanboy for them.

July 31, 2013, 04:06:28 AM
Zealotry. Death Metal from Boston.
Some of the best and most elaborate Death Metal I've heard produced in the last couple of years.

http://zealotry.bandcamp.com/

August 01, 2013, 10:19:37 PM
I was referring to BLOOD.  What visions are painted in your heads when you play that album?

November 09, 2013, 01:52:19 AM
Man, that Manilla Road album , Crystal Logic was a snooze fest.  They totally rip off one of Angel Witch's songs riff for riff.  I will give the next Manilla Road album a listen though to see if things improve.

I hope you listened to the 2000 reissue, which contains Flaming Metal System. Basically the album is a winner with that song up to Crystal Logic and subsequently is an acquired taste. I personally think these songs are brilliant, though the extra one is slightly inferior to the album originals. Beyond that Manilla Road has good ideas sometimes but I find them uninteresting, how did they hold up for you?

November 09, 2013, 02:42:17 AM
Yo trystero, big thanks for that Pathologist rec. At first the one track I heard was OK but the whole album just kills. I like how they are able to drop into 'groovy' riffs that are neither nu-metal nor Brotera related. They also have some just plain weird melodic ideas too, like the riff isn't supposed to make sense but they MAKE it make sense. I've been listening to the album consistently over the past few weeks. While I wouldn't class it in the top tier of grindcore (early Napalm Death, Blood, Assuck, etc), it's definitely an A-grade album.

On the topic of grindcore, I've rec'd these guys before, but I've been listening to a lot of them lately.

Excruciating Terror - "Expression of Pain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-fP1JGiOrQ

That's the full album. Massive Swans/Godflesh inspired intro leads into violently rhythmic grind. Touches of doom-speed tempo are inserted for tension building purposes. I personally hear a lot of Fear of God (Swedish band) and a bit of Blood in their sound as well. I personally like their second album "Divided We Fall" better, but this album I linked is still of good quality.

November 09, 2013, 02:53:11 AM
Well the first song of that didnt make sense until the end, when it came together. Second one opens well, lets see how it goes.

November 09, 2013, 06:23:21 PM
Yo trystero, big thanks for that Pathologist rec. At first the one track I heard was OK but the whole album just kills. I like how they are able to drop into 'groovy' riffs that are neither nu-metal nor Brotera related. They also have some just plain weird melodic ideas too, like the riff isn't supposed to make sense but they MAKE it make sense. I've been listening to the album consistently over the past few weeks. While I wouldn't class it in the top tier of grindcore (early Napalm Death, Blood, Assuck, etc), it's definitely an A-grade album.

You`re very welcome, my man gets it. I deliberately didnt link you something like Uterogestation to Abortion or Infectious Agonizing Parasitism. I dont like to ruin the surprise of these albums, so I generally link the first track. Luckily in this case that track is a winner.

January 14, 2014, 04:55:28 AM
After wasting my time with Obliteration I'd prefer to give Zealotry (thanks Fenrir) and the new Sammath more spins than check out crap.

A few "best of" that I'd like some cents on:
Krypts - Unending Degradation
Beyond - Fatal Power of Death

January 14, 2014, 08:24:28 AM
No problem. I was lucky to find Zealotry myself.
They will probably release a second album by mid 2014 (my guess, don't take my word as a promise).

Here's their bandcamp: http://zealotry.bandcamp.com/music

Bizarro (guitarist and vocalist) has posted a new song demo not so long ago.