Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Thrash versus Thrash Metal

Thrash versus Thrash Metal
June 03, 2008, 10:35:45 AM
Best Thrash bands:

1. DRI
2. Cryptic Slaughter
3. Dead Horse
4. COC
5. Fearless Iranians From Hell

Best Speed Metal (misnamed "Thrash Metal" by kiddie mags) bands:

1. Metallica
2. Slayer
3. Nuclear Assault
4. Testament
5. Dead Brain Cells

http://www.last.fm/group/Thrash+Metal+Corner/forum/41386/_/418122
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Re: Thrash versus Thrash Metal
June 03, 2008, 12:12:16 PM
why the fuck does everyone love Testament? theyre a limp Metallica imitation at best.

id rather listen to better bands in that genre.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 03, 2008, 05:06:17 PM
I think everyone loves Testament because they didn't ever get hugely popular, and thus can still be considered "underground" by the legions of elitists who don't listen to anything that isn't "underground", keep in mind these people still LIKE "mainstream" music, they just won't ever admit it. Not even to themselves. That's not to say that I personally dislike Testament, but they most definitely aren't my favorite.

June 03, 2008, 05:21:11 PM
I'd have had Slayer above Metallica for sure.

June 03, 2008, 08:48:59 PM
How much more hipster can it get!
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

June 03, 2008, 09:21:21 PM
I am surprised to see Testament ranked above Coroner, Destruction or Forbidden.

June 04, 2008, 12:15:02 AM
I am surprised to see Testament ranked above Coroner, Destruction or Forbidden.

My biggest surprise was, like Verulfr's, seeing Slayer ranked above Metallica. Slayer is the superior of Metallica, and all other such bands for that matter.

June 04, 2008, 02:34:01 AM
No offense to anyone, but my biggest surprise is seeing that people assumed these were ordered listings as opposed to collections.

There is zero reason to suspect that from the post alone.

I'd swap Destruction for Testament, gladly, but Testament nailed that classic "speed metal" sound, just as Metallica did -- but Slayer, Destruction and others are more hybrid death metal acts.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 04, 2008, 03:46:03 AM
i personally wouldve gone for Razor (the Sheepdog years) in place of Testament.

also missing are mentions of Sodom, Kreator, Sepultura, and Sabbat (UK).
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 04, 2008, 09:21:19 AM
i personally wouldve gone for Razor (the Sheepdog years) in place of Testament.

also missing are mentions of Sodom, Kreator, Sepultura, and Sabbat (UK).

You're missing the point. The idea is to give examples of a distinction of which most people are ignorant, hence the misleading term "Thrash Metal".

I bet if this is posted around other metal boards you'll receive a lot of indignant reactions.

June 04, 2008, 11:34:17 AM
I bet if this is posted around other metal boards you'll receive a lot of indignant reactions.

Yep. Like, "fascists", "it doesn't matter", "but everyone sez thrash metal" etc.
One of metal's best "discriminators", because defending "thrash metal" indicates weakness, ignorance, stupidity.

June 04, 2008, 11:37:15 AM
a: a use of language regarded as distinctive of a particular group <accent was&#8230;a shibboleth of social class &#8212; Vivian Ducat> b: a custom or usage regarded as distinguishing one group from others <for most of the well-to-do in the town, dinner was a shibboleth, its hour dividing mankind &#8212; Osbert Sitwell>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shibboleth

"Thrash metal" is a shibboleth for the media-fed, oblivious caste of Hessian. They work the fields.
ASBO

June 04, 2008, 12:06:32 PM
Worth mentioning the old testament tale revolving around the origin of "Shibboleth". As mentioned in the dictionary :
"Etymology: Hebrew shibb&#333;leth stream; from the use of this word in Judg 12:6 as a test to distinguish Gileadites from Ephraimites "

The Ephraimites, as memory serves me, used to pronounce the word as "Sibolet" (which means in hebrew endurance/stamina) instead of the proper "Shibbolet" (which is the word for a stalk of grain). The Gileadites then would determine Ephraimites by their wrong pronounciation of Shibbolet and strike them dead. I can just imagine an Ephraimite outraging : "Maaan, it's just a word! everybody says it that way! who cares?!!" just before a blade came crushing through his skull.

GS

June 04, 2008, 12:47:04 PM
1. There's more evidence that "thrash metal" was employed in reference to the style of punk-influenced metal bands (like some of those mentioned above) and the demographic and behavioral shift occurring at shows in the mid-to-late Eighties (and reasonably so…"thrash" being a common slang term for slam-dancing as well as drumming style) then there is that it was cooked up by magazines for commercial purposes. (Where did the term "speed metal” originate, exactly?)

2.  As a description of a particular scene or style of music, “thrash” was still barely defined by mid-Eighties (and predates Anus favorites like C.O.C and D.R.I.), which is probably why even a traceable, press-created term like “crossover” became roundly accepted at the time.

June 04, 2008, 06:41:22 PM
1. ...(Where did the term "speed metal” originate, exactly?)

Fanzines - in other words, from within the subculture itself, rather than being imposed by the corporate glossies seeking to max out ad revenues.

2.  As a description of a particular scene or style of music, “thrash” was still barely defined by mid-Eighties (and predates Anus favorites like C.O.C and D.R.I.), which is probably why even a traceable, press-created term like “crossover” became roundly accepted at the time.

D.R.I. and Corrosion of Conformity were both well established by 1983/84, when 'thrash' (speed) metal took off, so I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to raise here.

The picture overall is a lot more complex than is typically appreciated, in any event.  There were three or four separate genres emerging from pretty much the same primordial stew of punk, hardcore, and heavy metal.  Apocalyptic Raids and Bathory and Ride the Lightning are pretty much exactly contemporaneous.  Death metal emerged pretty essentially fully formed by the summer of 1985.  The early grind bands hadn't yet managed to get record deals, but grind was certainly already extant and viable by the same time.  In the three years between spanning the summer of 1982 to the summer of 1985, the extreme edge went from Iron Maiden and Discharge to Sepultura, Bathory and Genocide/Repulsion.  That kind of evolutionary pace is impossible for the language to keep up with, except in retrospect.