Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

May 31, 2008, 04:25:37 AM
I saw them mentioned in several interviews with Averse Sefira as well as in a post on their blog. What is the general consensus of this band, and are any of their albums worth purchasing? I haven't heard them yet if it must be known.

Re: 1349
May 31, 2008, 10:12:32 AM
1349 is your basic brutal black metal band, replaying standard Norwegian black metal riffs with a modern death metal styled rhythm section. They're as important as the retro death metal bands that at best go through the motions but without the same context, and thus without the same spirit.

Anyways, the members of Averse Sefira don't exactly have a great taste in metal bands. I remember after their set a year ago, they couldn't stop praising Goatwhore, a band that was playing with them.

May 31, 2008, 10:58:10 AM
1349 have some songs where they really show a potential to shine. their riffing borrows from death metal without affecting their overall sound that much.

on "Hellfire", only about 4-5 songs are of listenable quality. but those songs are well crafted, well written, and generally spirited. what 1349 needs to learn how to do is to evenly distribute their spirit throughout their albums. if you took the best tracks from all 3 albums and their demos/EPs, you would have one of the best albums of the past 5 years.

when i saw Averse Sefira open for 1349, they played right before Goatwhore. while AS were top notch, Goatwhore was and still is one of the lamest excuses of "black metal" i have ever heard. it basically takes black metal and adds in nu-metal passages, thereby making it not black metal anymore.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

May 31, 2008, 11:54:28 AM
on "Hellfire", only about 4-5 songs are of listenable quality. but those songs are well crafted, well written, and generally spirited. what 1349 needs to learn how to do is to evenly distribute their spirit throughout their albums. if you took the best tracks from all 3 albums and their demos/EPs, you would have one of the best albums of the past 5 years.

Not to make work for you, but could you compile these and upload to the audiofile as a custom compilation?

My listening of 1349 was based on a few tracks I've heard over the years, and they sounded like later Emperor: disorganized riffing fit together with rhythm, general melodic emphasis, no discernible direction artistically.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

May 31, 2008, 01:20:08 PM
when i find the time, i will look at what i have of 1349's discography and see if i can pick out songs that i enjoy the most. then i will upload them.

1349's riffing can be disorganized, but for the most part it is linear and has purpose. they also do not incorporate any symphonic or "avante garde" influence as Emperor did.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 01, 2008, 01:48:33 AM
i think music shows potential, but lacks in atmosphere. I will say however that the vocals are poor, and i can't listen to them without it pissing me off. Its not the typical black metal style, but its not unique in a good way; more like half arsed hardcore vocals, which simply do not fit with what this band do.
In a state of permanent Abyss

June 08, 2008, 11:42:53 PM
Anyways, the members of Averse Sefira don't exactly have a great taste in metal bands. I remember after their set a year ago, they couldn't stop praising Goatwhore, a band that was playing with them.

I got the same kind of feedback from them in Albuquerque (the drive sucked, but the tour didn't hit Texas), though it was along the lines of, "great guys, very professional, good to tour with"- notice anything missing from that appraisal?

June 09, 2008, 02:43:22 PM
I had to deal with this as a radio DJ. There's a lot of good people out there, and many of them work hard at what they do, but only a few people can make really excellent results.

And the results are what matters...

So some bands are your friends, but you can't start recommending them on that basis, because then you make your opinion into the same shit every hipster has. Hipsters talk about their social buddies and rarities they own. They don't care about results; about quality.

If you're a touring band, these aren't just your friends, but also your co-workers who are helping you realize your own music. So you may promote them as friends without mentioning the music, and every Hessian is wise to say nothing but nod and smile.