Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

ANUS = faggot emo movement?

DrBob

ANUS = faggot emo movement?
June 08, 2008, 11:30:42 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879440&page=1&pp=20

Apparently ANUS is a group of "nerds" starting a "faggot emo movement."
I used to visit the above site.  Then I found ANUS.  I don't visit that other site much anymore (see if you can figure out why)

Re: ANUS = faggot emo movement?
June 08, 2008, 01:25:57 PM
I confirm that I am both emo, and a faggot. Some might call me an "emo faggot" and it would not be wrong.

I left them some messages describing what ANUS is actually about:

I am sure there's no enmity between ANUS.com and the users here, but ANUS's mission has been (since 1988) to celebrate the best in metal because it is a genre with artistic power and a valuable message for humankind.

Metal is life... so live good metal.

If you listen to shitty metal, people will think you're stupid, insincere, or a hipster... and would they really be wrong?

You're better than spending your time listening to shitty metal == this is the message of ANUS.com.

Most metalheads like low-intensity music like the crap you describe. They like it because they have low self-esteem. Therefore, they need a reason to be different and feel important.

While they praise crap music, they then wonder why metal is in general weaker than it has been in the past. "Why aren't there any GREAT bands?" -- because the fans are busy listening to crap.

They hate ANUS because it points out that they don't have to behave this way, and that they're in fact demeaning themselves and increasing the cycle of low self-confidence which will make them forever slaves to their damaged egos.

Metal is great music, and Hessianism is a great culture. It should put its best foot forward.

Now back to practicing riffs from "Rainbow in the Dark"...

DrBob

June 08, 2008, 02:57:47 PM
I find their reactions incredibly interesting/telling.

It was once explained to me by a Biologist that the natural reaction of people faced with a task they observe to be unachievable, is to laugh.  For example, if you were asked to make a 3-point shot while blindfolded, you would find that humorous.

Clearly these people find the rather simple task of processing anything said on this site as unachievable, so their natural reaction is to assume it is a joke or dismiss it some other way (you're crazy/intolerant/a loser).

June 08, 2008, 03:39:32 PM
"As a forum, we will reccomend [sic] what we like. There are some users in here who will yes, promote strange avant-garde music and there are also some who will promote nothing but old school death metal. Does that really differentiate us from, oh say... society in general?"

That last sentence tells you everything you need to know about them. What a depressive, degenerate little social clique they have.

June 08, 2008, 04:51:13 PM
If your opinion disagrees with theirs, you're being too subjective. Everything they think becomes objective. Forget about competing interpretations and arguing for the best one. How can one so absolutely fail to be self aware? To be so absolutely ungracious to competing interpretations? They refuse to even attempt to engage the DLA interpretation. ANUS absolutely accepts the task of engaging their interpretation, but they can't see that there's a battle going on. No one is trying to claim the DLA is infallible; if they're going to bitch and moan, they should engage with it.

Shit, man... I needed to see this, I forgot how bad it gets out there.

June 08, 2008, 05:17:41 PM
Shit, man... I needed to see this, I forgot how bad it gets out there.

It's kind of like using public transportation.

June 08, 2008, 06:58:21 PM
A note on intellectual dishonesty: those who don't wish to see, won't see, and no rational argument or earnest explanation will change that.

Don't waste your time, folks. People who come to this website have usually already gotten past the kind of moron-slobber bullshit floating around on that forum. Leave those who haven't to their fecal-orgies.

June 08, 2008, 10:33:29 PM
I find their reactions incredibly interesting/telling.

It was once explained to me by a Biologist that the natural reaction of people faced with a task they observe to be unachievable, is to laugh.  For example, if you were asked to make a 3-point shot while blindfolded, you would find that humorous.

Clearly these people find the rather simple task of processing anything said on this site as unachievable, so their natural reaction is to assume it is a joke or dismiss it some other way (you're crazy/intolerant/a loser).

It's kind of like how most people end up having shitty posture because they don't train their bodies/minds. They end up as neurotic hunch-backs.

June 08, 2008, 10:48:19 PM
Do we really want to sit here and insult them? It may all be true, but it's kind of mean and pointless, and makes us look like asshole egotists.

I think my point was this:

If they knew that their low self-confidence made them behave as they did, and could see how destructive that behavior is to the metal genre, they might behave differently.

Especially if the music was better and, because they understood better music, they felt better about themselves.

Or was that faggot emo?

June 08, 2008, 10:52:30 PM
To be so absolutely ungracious to competing interpretations?

Honestly, this sort of goes both ways.

The ANUS views I generally agree with, but after say reading that excerpt about At The Gates it reeks of that college syndrome of "using words for the sake of words" instead of adding content. It's not particularly well written.

I think it's a shame that the ANUS Metal reviews weren't written in the same style as the middle period perspectives on the main site - they are both charismatic and clear, without sacrificing the information value of the piece.

June 08, 2008, 10:58:04 PM
The ANUS views I generally agree with, but after say reading that excerpt about At The Gates it reeks of that college syndrome of "using words for the sake of words" instead of adding content. It's not particularly well written.

I think it's a shame that the ANUS Metal reviews weren't written in the same style as the middle period perspectives on the main site - they are both charismatic and clear, without sacrificing the information value of the piece.

That wasn't from the ANUS metal review. I think it's from the wiki.

I don't agree about the use of language. The higher level vocabulary doesn't bother me; some of the phrasing does, but only a little bit.

June 08, 2008, 11:03:38 PM
Thread closed. Continued here:

Metal today is worse off than in the past.

While bands are technically more proficient, the music they're writing is closer to mainstream rock and hardcore; it has lost direction.

Even worse, it has lost content. There is nothing being said that isn't said in the tantrum of a spoiled teenager.

Is that what we want to represent of ourselves to others? Can't we do better? Of course, and we can, but only a few do, because they get drowned out by others, discouraging musicians with vitality from participating.

Fukk Jesus!

June 08, 2008, 11:41:03 PM

That wasn't from the ANUS metal review. I think it's from the wiki.

I don't agree about the use of language. The higher level vocabulary doesn't bother me; some of the phrasing does, but only a little bit.

No qualms with the vocabulary here either (although, sometimes you get the feeling that words were just thrown in rather than used to make the writing more efficient, descriptive or succinct), but the phrasing is very messy and painful to read!

June 09, 2008, 12:00:45 AM
but the phrasing is very messy and painful to read!

I always thought that was the point -- to mimic death metal phrasing. It's 'painful,' but informative as regards something experiential, whereas the music itself is 'painful' but more directly/abstractly informative. It's not so much laborious to put up with as it is chaotic.

I like them.

June 09, 2008, 01:06:17 AM
You all take it a lot more seriously than I do, obviously.

But do you take anything other than metal seriously?

Like sex and social interaction?

Sex alone I don't take seriously. It's like taking drugs or overeating seriously.

Social interaction: I take being a good friend to good people seriously, and being committed to those I love.

Learning, including guitar, and the organization of my thoughts and my abilities I also take seriously.

Drinking beer, getting laid, taking drugs, not taking life seriously = a cliche, that is actually taking avoiding real life seriously.

In other words, you may take life more seriously than I -- we have picked different lives based on different perceptions of reality.

And clearly you take coming here to talk to us seriously, which is kind of refreshing, actually. But hopefully you didn't think the old "do you nerds take not being nerds seriously" was new, or insightful.