Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

MOLESTED re-release

MOLESTED re-release
June 09, 2008, 01:28:00 AM
Molested's Blod-draum and Stormvhold, on one CD.

AMR 010: Molested - Blod-draum
Release Date: Unknown
Format: CD; 14 tracks total
Description: Re-release of legendary Norwegian Death Metal featuring Řystein G. Brun of Borknagar fame. The Stormvold ep is being included as a bonus. Cover art by Travis Smith.

http://www.arsmagnarecordings.com/InfoPage.htm

Molested myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/followthegrowls

MorbidInvasion

Re: MOLESTED re-release
June 09, 2008, 01:34:48 AM
Molested is a great band. I've always wondered what could have been in Norway (in terms of death metal) were it not for the black metal movement. Sweden and Finland had their own distinctive sound, I didn't really like the Swedish stuff but I liked the heaviness and atmosphere of the Finnish stuff. Looking at pre-2nd wave bm and post-2nd wave bm Norwegian DM, such as Amputation and Molested, you can see a LOT more aggression in the music than any other Scandinavian movement.

So in short, if there was no 2nd wave BM movement in Norway, they could have had a great 2nd wave DM movement, by the sounds of it, it would have been great and extremely aggressive too.

June 09, 2008, 02:09:56 AM
Two great releases, right there.

Those albums used to be available for cheap on eBay until collecting KVLT metal albums become the cool thing to do.

MorbidInvasion

June 09, 2008, 04:14:33 AM
Two great releases, right there.

Those albums used to be available for cheap on eBay until collecting KVLT metal albums become the cool thing to do.

What do you care how cheap they are? Seeing as you don't like collecting metal albums ;)

June 09, 2008, 04:40:48 AM
There's a difference between collecting and buying.

It's what separates the people who would spend $100 for the KVLT status of owning a Demilich album from the people who aren't likely to spend more than $20-$25 to get what they want out of an album:

i.e., the complete art (words, pictures, etc.)--not just the music.

June 09, 2008, 05:35:01 AM
Molested is a great band. I've always wondered what could have been in Norway (in terms of death metal) were it not for the black metal movement. Sweden and Finland had their own distinctive sound, I didn't really like the Swedish stuff but I liked the heaviness and atmosphere of the Finnish stuff. Looking at pre-2nd wave bm and post-2nd wave bm Norwegian DM, such as Amputation and Molested, you can see a LOT more aggression in the music than any other Scandinavian movement.

On the flip side, Fester and early DarkThrone are among the more atmospheric and contemplative death metal bands, which worked brilliantly for DarkThrone but only intermittently for Fester.  A lot of what the Norwegian bands brought to the table I think was best channeled through the discipline of black metal.  Classic case in point: much of what was great about early Emperor is present in the Thou Shalt Suffer material from several of the same musicians, but a fair amount of potentially excellent material drowns in the riff salad death metal approach.  Emperor definitely benefited from the more rigorous editing of superfluous material that black metal encouraged.

Stick around pal, you might get something out of this if your impulse to be a dick doesn't get the better of you.

MorbidInvasion

June 09, 2008, 06:10:43 AM
I can agree with Darkthrone, and I haven't heard Fester. I just found Amputation, in particular their first demo, as well as Molested's Blod Draum, to be miles above almost all other death metal in terms of aggression. Death Strike, Necrovore, Archenemy and early Insanity (US) come to mind as bands that equal that intensity, but there aren't many others, at all.

Septicemia

June 09, 2008, 11:06:16 AM
I prefer the old cover art. This looks like something Opeth designed.

It's a good sign these are getting re-released. Contrary to ebay culture, and a re-emergence of two of the best death metal releases so far.

June 09, 2008, 02:36:11 PM
It sounds like you'd be more at home with classic era grind - Repulsion, Blood, Cianide and maybe first album Bolt Thrower - than with death metal.  Death Strike/Master were always at least half grind anyway.

June 09, 2008, 07:42:28 PM
It sounds like you'd be more at home with classic era grind - Repulsion, Blood, Cianide and maybe first album Bolt Thrower - than with death metal.  Death Strike/Master were always at least half grind anyway.

I do like a lot of old grind, stuff like Repulsion, Terrorizer, Unseen Terror, Sore Throat, Napalm Death, Anarchus etc.

But I as well as appreciating that particular brand of dm that Amputation, Death Strike etc play, I like stuff like M-A, Obituary, etc. Well instead of listing bands suffice to say I like just about all kinds of old school death metal except for most Swedish stuff

August 11, 2008, 05:44:58 AM
8/4/08:

The Molested reissue is moving along; Oystein is working on the video footage and liner notes. We are still expecting a fall release.

http://www.arsmagnarecordings.com/InfoPage.htm

June 09, 2009, 08:36:38 PM
Anybody else got this yet? I received my copy yesterday and am finishing up listening to the 2nd disc now. Overall thoughts:

- Cover art is OK for what it is. I know some people can't stand it. I would have preferred the original art but this new take on it is decent for digital art.

- The remastered "Blod-Draum" is way more trebly and less murky. It's eye-opening, but ultimately I prefer the original sound, which is kind of nightmarish and subterranean. Luckily the original is included here (on disc 2) and that's the one I'll be listening to for the most part. They also compressed the shit out of the remaster (but not the original version, which is a good 6 db quieter and more dynamic).

- "Stormvald" is also over-compressed, too bad.

- The demos on the 2nd disc have a more reasonable compression level (perhaps so they don't blow your eardrums coming on the heels of the quieter original version of "Blod-Draum") and sound very nice - absolutely kills the shoddy job Necroharmonic did with the Crematory demos. Both demos are thunderously heavy and atmospheric.

- Packaging is decent. Complete lyrics to "Blod-Draum" are included along with a two page bio. There are some pages of pics (looks like all studio photos) and stripped-down credits for the album and demos. Would be nice to see more vintage stuff like the demo covers and old flyers, etc., but overall there's not much to complain about in this department.

June 09, 2009, 09:34:09 PM
Anyone found an online vendor that's stocking this?

A quick Google search returned no results.

I see it listed as a "pre-odrer" on the label's website, though I cannot find any actual way to pre-order it, since the link just goes to Molested's Myspace page.

June 09, 2009, 09:56:25 PM
To do the pre-order, you have to go to the main label page, then go to the catalogue section, then to Me-N section, then finally scroll down to the release and hit the Add to Cart button.