Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Top 2% Project

The Top 2% Project
June 10, 2008, 01:58:47 PM
I think, as people who like metal, we should find the best and play it for everyone. Our lives are important, and we should be spending them on the very best metal possible, because that makes life the most fun.

Many of my friends like black metal, but don't have time to sort through all the new releases. I'd like to make them a CD comp of the best out there.

By the best, I mean the top 2% of so -- the releases that are really excellent and you can listen to for years. Style doesn't matter, nor does nationality, but quality is essential.

They're familiar with everything up until 1998 or so.

Any help appreciated.

Instead of sitting around bemoaning how bad black metal is, we should find that top 2% and celebrate it.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Re: The Top 2% Project
June 10, 2008, 03:10:04 PM
Releases after 1998 right?

Graveland - Creed of Iron
Mutiilation - Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn)
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame

June 10, 2008, 03:17:58 PM
Sorcier des Glaces
Averse Sefira
Summoning
Graveland

Probably between those as far as Black Metal goes. There is some good band out there, but nothing beats those four if we are talking about 2% of the best.

June 13, 2008, 12:29:00 PM
Graveland - Creed of Iron
Mutiilation - Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn)
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
Sorcier des Glaces
Averse Sefira
Mirrorthrone
Hellveto
Craft
Watain
Deathspell Omega
Ondskapt
Clandestine Blaze
Proclamation (Spain)
Nightbringer
Leviathan
Ludicra
Wolves in the Throne Room
Tsjuder
Funeral Mist
Bekhira
Teitanblood
Katharsis
Antaeus
Lj
wodensthrone
Primordial
Lyrinx
Misery's Omen
Portal
Obscure Anachronism
Old Wainds
Ofermod
Drudkh
Austere, Profanum, Pazuzu, Thy Primordial, Ophthalamia, Life Illusion, Averse Sefira, Watain, Dissection, Noctuary, Horna
AVSKY
SATOR MARTE
KOZELJNIK
Lunar Aurora
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

June 13, 2008, 01:14:04 PM
Craft - I'm going to be really offensive but make it still playable on the radio; akin to Satyricon

Deathspell Omega - I'm going to try and make Satanism intelligible. A better listen is Hirilorn

Clandestine Blaze - Another Mikko Aspa money maker

Dissection - Reinkaos is ass

June 13, 2008, 01:22:07 PM
At least 90% of the above list I'd omit.

June 13, 2008, 06:45:40 PM
It is going to be hard to find the best new music, mostly because the truly good stuff is going to be hidden deep under layers of mediocre crap.  Try this band out, nobody's ever heard of them but this promo alone I think is more significant than 99% of other black metal or ambient released today.

DrBob

June 13, 2008, 09:42:34 PM
Necromantia - The Sound of Lucifer Storming Heaven (2007)

This seemed like a rather obvious choice to me.  I can't be the only one who thought this was a great album.

June 14, 2008, 09:16:04 AM

I would too, where'd it even come from? Primordial and Summoning are great, but are they even black metal bands anymore?

I can't think of any top 2% bands, besides those already mentioned.

June 14, 2008, 10:01:02 AM
It is going to be hard to find the best new music, mostly because the truly good stuff is going to be hidden deep under layers of mediocre crap.  Try this band out, nobody's ever heard of them but this promo alone I think is more significant than 99% of other black metal or ambient released today.

Sounds like samples from Filosofem pasted over Klaus Schulze, yet reminds me of Summoning somehow.

July 04, 2008, 04:38:24 PM

What's the 10% worth keeping?
ASBO

July 04, 2008, 06:06:16 PM
How about Paysage D'hiver?
"Make ready for them whatever force and strings of horses you can, to terrify thereby the enemy of God and your enemy, and others besides them that you know not; God knows them.
And whatsoever you exend in the way of God shall be repaid you in full; you wil not be wronged. "  The Quran 8:60

July 04, 2008, 07:22:30 PM
Varg once said that not all people are destined to make music.  If a band does not bring something good or different to the genre, then we should discard it.  The same goes with making the music.  If one just becomes a cliche copycat, then they should stick to listening to the music, not making it.  Sadly most people do not follow this philosophy.

July 05, 2008, 02:44:50 PM

What's the 10% worth keeping?
The first five on the list. (Yeah, that was a bit of a non-reply, wasn't it?) Even then, that's still questionable in some of those instances. Averse isn't even playing black metal anymore, to my ears - it's more like savage classical. Darken should stick with Lord Wind, Mutiilation should've hung up their gauntlets and wheelchairs long ago, Summoning I'm still on the fence over, and Sorcier is really head and shoulders above many pre-96-ish bands.

Then again, I'm just a fag, so don't listen to me. I still think it's a worthwhile venture to go on with such a project, but nothing leaps out at me anymore. Hell, I don't listen to anything post-96 other than Averse's last two albums.

July 06, 2008, 06:24:53 PM
I would also extract Antaeus, Profanum and Thy Primordial from the list as quality bands.  While I wouldn't rank the latter two in the top 2%, Antaeus deserves a spot for "Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan" (and that release alone).
"Love thy neighbour" is a fucking joke, for few are worthy of my love.