Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Top 2% Project

Re: The Top 2% Project
July 09, 2008, 02:13:03 PM
Taake
Gehenna (WW)
Tsjuder
Krypt

all worth wile

July 17, 2008, 08:20:55 PM
Hell, I don't listen to anything post-96 other than Averse's last two albums.

First, let me say: I understand and sympathize

At the same time, I don't want to let this genre go gently into the good night (or get sodomized by wild boars with emo intentions, whichever).

I'd like to find the few that are good and celebrate the hell out of them, ram them down some throats and convert some minds.

July 29, 2008, 04:00:49 PM
Antaeus
Evilfeast (reminds me a lot burzum, yet, still evocative in its own way without cloning)
Averse Sefira (needs no introduction)
Lunar Aurora
The Ruins of Beverast
Nagelfar (Althought the band split, worth to check, and if I remember, Asbo uploaded their albums. The drummer is the mastermind behind The Ruins of Beverast)

Anything done by Dimmu Borgir
Don't jump at me yet, that was simply a joke...

July 29, 2008, 08:41:20 PM
What was released in 96 which makes it the oft-quoted cutoff year? It has to be better than Dol Guldur, which isn't easy.

July 30, 2008, 05:17:55 AM
What was released in 96 which makes it the oft-quoted cutoff year? It has to be better than Dol Guldur, which isn't easy.

Filosofem

July 30, 2008, 08:16:30 AM
It was recorded in 1993 and most of it was written much earlier. Saying that black metal died in 1996 doesn't make much sense if it was due to Filosofem's January 1st release that year.

July 30, 2008, 08:41:41 AM
It was recorded in 1993 and most of it was written much earlier.

What good is the material if only a handful of people had heard it before the release?

Saying that black metal died in 1996 doesn't make much sense if it was due to Filosofem's January 1st release that year.

It makes perfect sense because "Filosofem" is the epitome of Romanticist spirit in metal.

Burzum ended black metal.

...and I think we should respect it. He raised the bar, and took black metal out of the "metal" artform into something new, and then everyone else despairing at getting farther than he had, and collapsed into sheep, so now you get boring music like Grand Belial's Key, Nachtmysticum, Deathspell Omega and the like.

I don't see art in terms of further or more innovative, but degrees of expression. Some cliche that is always true is better than something "unique" which says nothing artistically, even if musically it has some meat to it. Burzum pushed metal aesthetically, but also artistically; he actually took on the challenging and unspoken issues of our time:

- Ferality versus morality.
- Nationalism versus uniculture.
- Peace/profit versus war/competition.
- Individual spirit versus herd-fear of inadequacy.

Burzum killed black metal, and I'm glad: with the exception of a handful of bands (Demoncy, Averse Sefira, Graveland) it has gone nowhere since "Filosofem."

http://www.burzum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

http://www.burzum.com/burzum/meaning/importance/

August 01, 2008, 08:52:16 PM
An album's release date actually doesn't mean much in comparison to the time when critical mass of ownership is reached for influence to occur!

August 02, 2008, 03:13:35 PM

Filosofem

Well, both albums are very different. You can't compare them.

August 02, 2008, 07:48:28 PM
It makes perfect sense because "Filosofem" is the epitome of Romanticist spirit in metal.

Lol, can you prove this?

I'd say 1995 since that was the year most of the second-wave progenitors started backing off Black Metal and either starting out the "avant-garde" route or dumbing down their aesthetics with rock/Heavy Metal.

One fucking album means nothing. Especially one that was written three years before its release.

August 02, 2008, 09:44:20 PM
can you prove this?

*farts at your direction*

I'ts actually a pretty good question. First of all, it should be clear that Nordic death/black metal scenes produced the most romantic metal yet expressed, as they took mythic imagination of metal music to a whole new level. The best of romantic metal:

At the Gates - The Red In The Skies Is Ours
Dismember - Like an Ever-Flowing Stream...
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Bathory - Hammearheart/Twilight of the Gods
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Burzum* - Filosofem

* First four albums have nearly identical vision which gets more introverted and articulate with each succession.

Now, which of these albums is most encapsulating of other's varying moods and aspects?

I think we can safely exclude the death metal masterpieces, since their sheer energy isn't match for black metal's superior expressiveness in mood. "Transilvanian Hunger" and "Pure Holocaust" are too restricted in their aspiration of chilling rationalism. Likewise "Far Away From The Sun" and "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" are constrained by their efforts to reach most warlike and macabre art respectively, which leaves the final decision between Burzum, Bathory and Emperor.

It seems that the crypto-intellectual musings of Emperor and Bathory's apology of ancient living both find a common representation in the third work. Hence, Burzum's Filosofem is the epitome work, summary and ideal, of metal spirit. Subtlety of moods make it really powerful.

Note: this especially isn't saying that Filosofem (or Burzum in general) is the height of metal spirit, although close it may be.

August 03, 2008, 04:58:26 PM
I'd include all of those in a top 2%. The real question is a dividing line between music you can listen to for a decade without getting bored, and transient shit that's trendy for rocker kids.

August 04, 2008, 03:13:28 AM
Longtime ago I did a great find on this site, the band Dies Irae from Norway, and the album circle of leth... It surprised me. I believe this being the epitome of romanticism in metal and not the aforementioned
bands. There's a mystery surrounding this album that and feelings I haven't reach with other albums yet.