Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Grammar and Diction

Grammar and Diction
July 04, 2008, 02:20:56 AM
You look like an idiot when you get it wrong, but only to those who know better. If your friends and social group are retards, they will drag you down to their level and make you look like a retard and limit how far you can rise.

GRAMMAR

Its/it's

It's a fine day for a pelican to flap its wings.

Its = belongs to It
It's = it is, contraction

Their/They're/There

There is a place where men store their fears, and if you spy on it, you will see they're busy heaping sand upon them.

Their = belongs to them (parallel to Its)
They're = they are, contraction
There = a place, over there

SPELLING

rediculous -> ridiculous

DICTION

I actually listened to that CD earlier. -> Actually, I listened to that CD earlier.

Simply place the nuclear detonator inside the mainframe computer -> leave out simply, it's stupid

Suddenly I was failing math. -> Suddenly I realized I was failing math.

Make Metalheads Look Good -- Use Good Diction, Grammar, Spelling and Lubricant

Re: Grammar and Diction
July 04, 2008, 03:55:56 AM
General advice:

Cut the bullshit.

Getting rid of redundant, verbose, or useless crap in sentences is the surest way to improve your written communication AND make you look like less of a pompous dickhead.

July 05, 2008, 09:36:58 AM
I feel that the use of certain words and terms should be frowned upon when used by metalheads to describe their music.

For example, the term "brutal," as in "Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, and Necrophagist are considered 'brutal death metal,'" or perhaps even "George Fisher enjoys brutal buttfuckery."

July 06, 2008, 02:01:18 AM
Grammar and diction have always been very important to me.  I'm meticulous to the point that it irritates people.  What I don't understand is why it bothers people--why is it alright to butcher a language?  It shouldn't be, yet there's this apathetic attitude of "well, people are going to make errors, so what?"

If your friends and social group are retards, they will drag you down to their level and make you look like a retard and limit how far you can rise.

Tell me about it.  In regards to grammar, most of my friends are fine, but a few of them are reprehensible.  Unfortunately, they're the ones who seem most intent on dragging everybody else down to their level of stupidity.