Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How to reform metal?

Re: How to reform metal?
July 10, 2008, 01:35:11 AM
Holistic Metal

Of your suggestions, I find this to be the most appealing.  Finding value in the whole, as opposed to the individual parts.  The best metal, it seems, is holistic and can be most appreciated by considering the entire song/album.

Esoteric metal.

Another excellent possibility, and it definitely makes sense in regards to the music and its audience.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." - E.A. Poe

July 10, 2008, 07:56:03 AM
Nothing we do insofar as we are commentators on the genre will matter. If a revival is going to happen, it will happen because a group of musicians get inspired and write inspiring work, and it will probably alienate the old crowd as black metal did when death metal became bloated. Metal will reform itself when people are sick of metal as a whole as we are. AIDS is right, the scenes are broken and full of social retardation in every sense of the term with social drive retarding creative impulse and insight. There is too much of a pre-existing sense of what metal should and must be, what it must sound like and look like, and people are hasty to judge what's good and what sucks, what's metal and what's not, and amplifying this wont improve anything as far as genre health is concerned. When a new song is ready to be born, it will rise out of the beer bloated STD ridden carcasses of those who heralded metal's death. We can re-categorize all we like, but it is clear that the reality of the situation is a disgusting corpse. We may as well dance on its grave and let a new song come to us... it is exciting and hilarious that things are so fucked.
You call yourself free? Let me hear your ruling thoughts, and not that you have escaped bondage. Are you one who deserved to escape from it?

July 11, 2008, 10:42:13 AM
In light of that i reckon "Post Metal", or better yet "post black metal" would work. I know that some peope already refer to summoning as this. It implies that it still has a connection with the original genre but also looks forward into developing it into something new.

Only problem would be keeping people from giving retarded bands this label as well, as is the main problem with all of these labels.
In a state of permanent Abyss

July 11, 2008, 02:42:30 PM
In light of that i reckon "Post Metal", or better yet "post black metal" would work.[...] Only problem would be keeping people from giving retarded bands this label as well, as is the main problem with all of these labels.

On the Encyclopedia Metallum the new Mayhem is classified as "Black Metal / Post-Black Metal"... That idea is shot.

July 11, 2008, 03:27:08 PM
In light of that i reckon "Post Metal", or better yet "post black metal" would work. I know that some peope already refer to summoning as this. It implies that it still has a connection with the original genre but also looks forward into developing it into something new.

I don't see how the term suggests "looking forward" to something new. Pretty much the opposite in fact. All "post-" musical genres equate to is: "the same old stuff, but done badly, yet excused by the consumer because it's presented with an ironic smile and a wink". Definitely a term to avoid in my opinion.

July 13, 2008, 08:57:43 AM
Why not Ambient Metal? All the best death metal and black metal has some use of ambient composition whether it be in black metal's cadenced rhythms and melodic development or the shifting textures found in death metal.
://

July 13, 2008, 11:02:54 AM
Future metal sounds alright.

More suggestions:

Integral Metal
Elite Metal
Hessian Metal
Holistic Metal
Total Metal

'Elite metal' is not a good idea, nobody is going to spread that around because most people get angry and indignant as soon as the word is mentioned.
Also, if you want people spreading it around/something catchy, nothing with more than 2 syllables (at the very most) will work and definitely not a word that isn't in the stupidest of people's vocabulary... look at existing genre names: black, death, thrash, doom, power, speed... these are all simple words that were already in just about every English-speaking person's vocabulary (except thrash).

Anyway, the reason that metal is what it is at the moment is because every kid with a microphone and the internet instantly has a home-studio to put out whatever crap demo you want, because its bound to get lapped up by crappy distros who take whatever they can get. Regression and poor musicianship are celebrated, there are plenty of bands out like Revelation of Doom and Throneum that claim they are 'regressive death metal' or 'regressive black metal', and tell everyone that they are proud to be taking the genre nowhere, and that they're basically tribute bands to the old scenes. I suppose this is how an idiot reacts to realising how shit brutal/tech death metal is.

Yep so to wrap it up, you need a short, simple word that everybody knew the meaning of beforehand.

Raise_the_Dead

July 13, 2008, 11:38:45 PM
Gonna have to disagree, MasterEnslaver.  The point is to separate quality art from "look-at me" crap, as you seem to have acknowledged - so who cares if the idiots don't know the meaning of the word 'integral' or 'esoteric?'  The types of metal-heads who cry at the word elite aren't sure of themselves, and probably lack understanding of metal's underlying philosophy.  They are the same types you see on forums who regard ANUS as "pretentious," because there are big scary words on this site, and that makes them feel small.  Great metal was not meant for these types, so why make decisions in regard to their lack of knowledge?  That's akin to the school systems decision to lower standards so that the dumb kids can feel equal.

July 14, 2008, 02:15:39 AM
I am a strong believer that the quality of a man is defined by his choice of enemies. So let the stripey-socks have metal. It's dead for innovation, and has all but returned to its status of yet another youth tribe, just as it was when Iron Maiden inherited it. Death metal's subversive groundwork has been virtually wiped out by a decade of over-exposure. The badge is not one of honour. So move on, and take what is now deserved. The technical, theoretical bands that base their work on musicality should be called classical. If the classical snobs hate this idea, good! Debating with them instead of internet drama queens makes the stance appear so much more credible. And if it upholds the classical approach to music (which it must, to be considered in this category), then why shouldn't it be labelled correctly? Because of instrumentation alone?

If a band is not technically demonstrative then it should be considered didactic, or cultural music,  for its other merits and social functions. This would be your Burzums, Immortals, Gravelands, Enslaveds, etc. It is essentially folk music and pre-occupied with tales and ideas and fantasies, and with social cohesion - a shared experience.

Of course this tidies up the approach and changes the line of battle somewhat. It would be fair to praise later Emperor for its technicality then, understanding that - like a study as opposed to a complete opera - it is a work of musical technique and performance training, and not an ideological statement.

July 14, 2008, 10:57:23 AM
Genre names are often given retrospectively. Today we call Crimson Massacre or Gorguts simply Death Metal. Maybe they are what DM was always aiming for, or maybe they are something as new to DM as Morbid Angel to Speed Metal (while still having some of its DNA), and someone may trace begining of a new, future genre to some of today's bands. Terms like black and death are great (and vital) because they imply, besides some obvious meaning, something which I dare call philosophy. Compositional Metal/Theoretical are both terms applying more to form than content, much like Thrash/Speed or Brutal. It should be compositional, but that alone is not sufficient. Future Metal sounds fucking contemporary in comparison to Black/Death. Metal should be holistic,elite and esoteric but it's already in its greatest moments. Transcendental Metal sounds good but also pretensional and that term should be reserved to really outstanding acts, not whole genre (it's imposible for everyone to transcend). Also beyond what they should transcend in such genre?

I remember from old interviews, that black metallers, by utilization of different terms describing their music, were trying to create anti-trend to common practice of labeling everything under one name (Death Metal) to simplify orientation for consumers (hence Black Metal, Dark Metal, Holocaust Metal and Viking Metal) and further degeneration of original ideas by imitators.
Classical<------------------Metal----------------->Ambient

July 14, 2008, 12:20:55 PM

I don't see how the term suggests "looking forward" to something new. Pretty much the opposite in fact. All "post-" musical genres equate to is: "the same old stuff, but done badly, yet excused by the consumer because it's presented with an ironic smile and a wink". Definitely a term to avoid in my opinion.

And i suppose post rock bands Mogwai, God speed you black emperor and Sigor Ros are considered nothing more than the same old boring rock music done badly?
In a state of permanent Abyss

July 14, 2008, 02:05:25 PM
I have no opinion on any of  those bands. But as for their development of the musical spectrum, I would say they had as much impact as a small carton of milk.

(Semi-skimmed).

July 14, 2008, 11:06:41 PM
Gonna have to disagree, MasterEnslaver.  The point is to separate quality art from "look-at me" crap, as you seem to have acknowledged - so who cares if the idiots don't know the meaning of the word 'integral' or 'esoteric?'  The types of metal-heads who cry at the word elite aren't sure of themselves, and probably lack understanding of metal's underlying philosophy.  They are the same types you see on forums who regard ANUS as "pretentious," because there are big scary words on this site, and that makes them feel small.  Great metal was not meant for these types, so why make decisions in regard to their lack of knowledge?  That's akin to the school systems decision to lower standards so that the dumb kids can feel equal.

I see what you mean, but if you want this tag to spread, then using a word like 'integral' or 'esoteric' that many people don't know, or a word like 'elite' that most people know, don't understand and hate will not help that cause. On the other hand, I can see the point in calling it whatever we want, and letting those worthy of listening to and understanding it figure it out themselves, which is probably a better approach as it would mean bands aren't going to label themselves whatever our tag is.

July 15, 2008, 11:49:11 PM
'Esoteric metal' or some similar and somewhat unfimiliar term to the general populous could generate a sort of curiosity. I think this new genre will develop its own name though with due time and natural selection.

I think we should use label's like hi.arc.tow as a vehicle. Hunt out and get the quality bands coming up such as Abhorrent, Cosmic Atrophyhttp://www.myspace.com/atrophyhouston, and ANUS member's projects (I'll be attempting to sign my band to hi.arc.tow soon when we get a solid footing). In the future perhaps, start a tour of quality bands getting the word out of this new genre and promoting worthwhile music.
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." - Socrates

July 16, 2008, 06:14:52 AM
I got good ones, shoegaze,folk metal,viking metal, black death metal! Tags mean nothing, they're perfect for marketing though. Calling bands like Summoning "Forest epic elk metal" doesn't change the music at all. Just concentrate on the good "metal" bands,update the DLA(if there's anything worth updating) and stop thinking about spreading metal to the masses. Everything dies even music. The less popular metal is the better.