Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

We're not alone.

We're not alone.
July 10, 2008, 04:18:01 AM
Contemporary Western society is tumbling further and further into the abyss of undifferentiated mediocrity.
 Much of the blame is due to the ideology of Diversity, which exploits a nihilistic, anti-rational strain in our culture.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/08/diversity_nihilism_and_the_ant.html

Re: We're not alone.
July 17, 2008, 08:27:07 PM
I think by "nihilism" they mean "lack of all values," where by nihilism this site seems to mean "lack of inherent value, thus a need to create values from a design-based approach."
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

July 18, 2008, 02:15:16 AM
Their definition of nihilism is the overwhelmingly popular one.  In dealing with such people it may be best to avoid using certain words, because whilst their positions may be similar to some on this site, it is easy to become bogged down in arguments that barely extend beyond semantics.
"Philosophy is really only the idle and superfluous attempt to leave reason, thus man's ability to think, deliberate, and reflect, entirely to its own devices for once, just as a child on a lawn occasionally has its leading strings removed and is allowed to try its strength, to see what the result will be." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

July 18, 2008, 11:06:49 PM
Yes, they do use a different definition of nihilism. However, that is irrelevant to what I was trying to show. The author opposes multiculturalism and other massively popular modern ideas that this site is opposed to. I was just showing that our ideologies are supported by other people with completely different backgrounds. There is still hope since people have reached nearly identical ideas as us independently of us. Perhaps we should collaborate with them somehow.

July 19, 2008, 09:50:54 AM
Perhaps we should collaborate with them somehow.

There's no way that they're going to want to work with a bunch of hippie emo faggots.

It's probably better when it seems that people start catching onto this stuff on their own instead of seeing that it's all part of the same few groups, otherwise they'll cry "conformist" or something equally stupid and go back to their game shows. We should instead continue throwing the word out there gradually until the whole movement snowballs into an avalanche.

July 19, 2008, 01:28:54 PM
Their definition of nihilism is the overwhelmingly popular one.  In dealing with such people it may be best to avoid using certain words, because whilst their positions may be similar to some on this site, it is easy to become bogged down in arguments that barely extend beyond semantics.

I completely disagree.

Showing people that something they thought was a demon was not is a good way to put more positivity into the world. Words get re-defined all the time, and there's a power in it.

Nihilism is perhaps the last great taboo: a Zen realism that sees things for what they are, an interconnected network of objects and forces that cannot be visualized in any static form. That scares the shit out of people, so we should show them a path through it.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

July 19, 2008, 01:44:17 PM
Showing people that something they thought was a demon was not is a good way to put more positivity into the world. Words get re-defined all the time, and there's a power in it.

Nihilism is perhaps the last great taboo: a Zen realism that sees things for what they are, an interconnected network of objects and forces that cannot be visualized in any static form. That scares the shit out of people, so we should show them a path through it.
I agree. Whenever relevant discussion arises, I don't hesitate to bring up such points, be it amongst friends, in class, or even with some family.

Obviously revelations like the ones in the article arise independently since there are plenty of smart people with potential in our time, but it can't hurt to talk with those around you and perhaps prompt some to arrive at the same conclusion and truly see reality for what it is, not through some contorted social or moral filter.

July 20, 2008, 05:00:55 PM
I completely disagree.

Well said, but maybe there should be a differentiation between neutral nihilism and the kind espoused here through a slight change in terminology. I think I may have seen the term 'Zen nihilism' thrown around here somewhere, but even if not, I think it works, since we're neither Buddhists nor fatalists.

In a way, it symbolizes a new movement, much like a fresh genre descriptor would for music.

July 24, 2008, 03:52:45 AM
This also goes with a historic view of nihilism in Russia. I learned in school (I'm 16, it was my 08 Spring 19th and 20th Century history class.) that many aristocratic Russians called themselves nihilists. What they thought was that the only way to make Russia better was to wipe out all old values and start fresh. In this, they are not letting anything else get in the way. Its a fresh start. This is what is done at ANUS.

As was my understanding I thought Russian nihilists, while having members of the bourgeois was mostly a lower class movement, similar to the Russian anarchist movement, with whom there was constant source of conflict which brought about the movements destruction.

Your definition of nihilism is the one this site adopts. However I disagree when you state "Its believing in nothing for a temporary amount of time." I think it is more then just a great upheaval of values to nothing, then rebuilding them. I think it is the constant evaluation of morals and constant destruction of ones that no longer serve your goal, which itself is constantly evaluated and if need be, demolished. I believe it is the indefinite belief in nothing, rather then a temporal belief in nothing. The important thing to note is one does not need to believe in anything in order to create a value system other then the systems correctness, which again is constantly analyzed.

To quote Nietzsche "Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in pursuit of the goal." Nihilism is the constant examining of your beliefs, your goal is truth, the pursuit to that goal should be as flexible as water to prevent you worshiping the pat you have chosen.