Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Classical music for metalheads

Re: Classical music for metalheads
July 16, 2008, 09:56:48 AM
Gustav Holst - "The Planets"

-- The first  movement, "Mars, Bringer of War," is more "metal" than the majority of albums that get put by metal labels out these days. The other "serious" (i.e., not "light-hearted" or "whimsical")  movements have enough darkness and mysticism to satisfy the average metal fan. Direct references to this work are found all throughout metal, including bands such as Diamond Head, Overkill, Bathory, et al. References also appear in major films such as Star Wars, Alien, etc.

Igor Stravinsky - "The Rite of Spring"

-- Parts of this will already be familiar to anyone who grew up watching Disney movies (see: Fantasia), and the piece has enough dissonance, violence, and heaviness to match just about any metal album to date. This is a tremendously influential work on all types of dissonant music, not just metal. The 1913 premier of the ballet resulted in an almost-instant riot amongst the crowd.

chb

July 16, 2008, 08:15:19 PM
The point was to create a STARTER LIST, not a participatory "I like teh classical twoo" thread.

In that case, I'd lose Anton Bruckner. Lovely music, but it can be a bit difficult for people who are new to classical. You should at least hear Beethoven's symphonies before you listen to Bruckner so you get an understanding how symphonic structures work. Then again, anyone who can sit through Obscura will probably find Bruckner to be easy listening.

My reccomendations for people who are new to classical music:

1. J. S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos; Goldberg Variations; A Musical Offering

Some of his more sensual pieces. Calm and joyful music with substance.

2.  Ludwig van Beethoven: 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th Symphonies

Obvious choice. Symphonies don't get better than this.

3.  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart:: Requiem, Piano Concerto No. 20

The 20th Piano Concerto is surprisingly dark for Mozart and one of my favourites. The Requiem is one of his most popular pieces for a reason.

4.  Johannes Brahms: 4 Symphonies, 1st Piano Concerto, Horn Trio

His first piano concerto is magnificent. The first movement is one of the highlights of romantic music.

Don't ignore his chamber works. The symphonies are great but you miss out on a lot if you only listen to them.

5. Franz Schubert: Die Winterreise, "Death and the Maiden" String Quartet No. 14

Beautiful romantic music. One of the best composers from that era, besides Brahms and Bruckner

More advanced listeners might want to try:

Johann Sebastian Bach: Die Kunst der Fuge

Probably the most complex piece of music ever written. It's still enjoyable if you know nothing about music theory, though (but it helps if you do). I believe this "theoretical" piece actually speaks more of Bach's spirituality than his sacred works.

Anton Bruckner: 8th Symphony

His greatest achievement. It took me a while until I understood it but my patience paid off. A thundering first movement, a scherzo that wouldn't seem out of place on a metal album, a beautiful adagio and a finale with marvelous, powerful themes. What is most admirable about this is his sense of perspective: The coda of the last movement features the main themes of all the four movements combined. That Bruckner was able to do things like this without descending into unlistenable chaos is genius.

Gustav Mahler: 6th Symphony

The instrumentation includes a huge wooden hammer. Need I say more about this?

July 19, 2008, 01:30:54 PM
This thread illustrates the problem of intelligent people who haven't applied themselves: a lot of critique, little unity, and so it went nowhere.

One shot, your foot. Good work!

June 24, 2009, 08:03:23 PM

June 24, 2009, 09:13:05 PM
My recommendation for the more southern European orientated metalhead is Verdi's La Travieta. Very heavy and tends to get macabre at times, and still going through all of it in a very Italian-Dionysian way

June 25, 2009, 12:48:08 AM
Thank you for not forgetting the Southern European tradition.

June 28, 2009, 01:07:11 AM
Southern Europeans contributed quite a bit to classical.

I'll have to check out this Verdi guy.

July 01, 2009, 02:49:31 AM
This of course is one of the most popular known piece he has done, sung by the late Signore Pavarotti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFEk6Y8TmM

July 01, 2009, 04:03:41 AM
Igor Stravinsky - "The Rite of Spring"

I agree on using this as an intro to classical for metal fans.  It may as well be a Slayer album, the way it refuses to let up on the rhythm.