Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

gateway bands

gateway bands
July 30, 2005, 02:46:00 AM
this recently came up in that cof fans discussion and i thought it would be interesting to see what everyones first metal band was. Mine was iron maiden and megadeth, pretty standard i guess

Re: gateway bands
July 30, 2005, 06:34:47 AM
Metallica. This is probably the most common.

July 30, 2005, 11:46:39 AM
I listened to Death - Human through The Sound Of Perserverance, Sepultura - Arise, Morbid Angel - Covenant and Domination, Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka, and some Carcass (among others) from ages 11 - 13, then picked up Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant around 14 and took it for awesome Black Metal, and around 15 I found Burzum, Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger, Summoning, and so on for Black Metal, and realized what that was all about, and then realized what Death Metal was all about with the discovery of Morbid Angel's first two albums and subsequent exploration into bands like Cryptopsy, At The Gates, Gorguts, Monstrosity, etc. I never cared for more popular stuff like Cradle Of Filth, Slayer, or other Metal bands in either of those fashions. When I was 10 all I listened to was Classical cassettes and felt like the music was a natural progression because of the element of more aggressive passion and similar complexity. Also up until about 13 I still listened to everything on cassette, haha. I wasn't your average kid.

July 30, 2005, 01:18:41 PM
"Also up until about 13 I still listened to everything on cassette, haha. I wasn't your average kid."

I used cassettes all the way through High School. I guess even at that young of an age, I wasn't happy with change. Plus, with cassettes, you didn't have to worry about scratches, and carrying a big cd player around would have been annoying.

July 30, 2005, 05:01:28 PM
Well, this was like, 99 or something. Everyone had CDs and I was making tapes from my neighbour's Metal collection. It's kind of funny looking back on my persistence with the cassettes.

euronymous

July 30, 2005, 07:04:25 PM
My first metal band was Black Sabbath, and few later , Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

The first metal album that obsessed me was Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality.

July 30, 2005, 09:59:54 PM
My first metal band was Black Sabbath, and few later , Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

The first metal album that obsessed me was Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality.

yo! master of reality, same for me. after that, there was judas priest's, iron maiden, manowar, then burzum & darkthrone.

euronymous

July 31, 2005, 06:43:47 AM

yo! master of reality, same for me. after that, there was judas priest's, iron maiden, manowar, then burzum & darkthrone.

BS has always had a distinctive sound, and the sound of MOR concretely was shocking; it's incredible to think it was recorded in 1971 and when I bought it 9 years after its release there was still nothing that sounded that way. Obviously I had to wait a bit more for Darkthrone and Burzum, as Varg for example was 7 years old at that time.

July 31, 2005, 03:07:35 PM
Metallica, Manowar, Primordial. In that order.

Annihilaytorr

July 31, 2005, 05:43:40 PM
Some of the more important bands for me were Metallica, Exodus, Slayer, Nile and Cryptopsy.

July 31, 2005, 07:37:40 PM
Dimmu Borgir!  I used to think EDT was the best thing since canned beer.

July 31, 2005, 08:28:58 PM
Im glad to hear that at least two people admitted to starting out with manowar,

July 31, 2005, 08:43:51 PM
Also up until about 13 I still listened to everything on cassette, haha. I wasn't your average kid.

Still aren't... ;)

July 31, 2005, 08:48:49 PM
Dimmu Borgir!  I used to think EDT was the best thing since canned beer.

July 31, 2005, 08:50:00 PM
And so you can laugh at me:

The Beatles -> AC/DC - > Exploited, Discharge, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Sick of It All -> DRI -> Slayer -> Metallica -> Massacra, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Sarcofago, Sodom

<3