Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Percussion

Percussion
July 15, 2008, 08:03:42 AM
I was listening to Pure Holocaust recently, and I was struck by something I'd never fully appreciated.  The drums on this one are bad ass in the best sense of the phrase.  Immortal's other classic releases - like most of the better black metal from Bathory on down - used relatively simple, unwavering beats to create an ambient effect. On Pure Holocaust, percussion remains ambient in that songs tend to have long passages where the perceived pulse rate remains unchanged, but this is achieved by layering a variety of rhythms and drum textures at once, giving the ambient space vertical 'depth' as well as 'horizontal' uniformity.  Add in that wonderful engineering that renders the tom sound particularly...cavernous, and you have an almost magically immersive tool. Pure genius.  Listening to this really drives home the artlessness that most metal bands apply to drumming.

Cigno

Re: Percussion
July 16, 2008, 06:15:35 AM
Yes. It's really great how Abbath (I think he is responsible of the drumming in this album) achieved a course between the catalytic pulse and a own phrasing of drums. As well, his openings and conclussions show interdependence.

Drummers should feel the discourse, not just to sew on parts. That's why Luc Lemay suggest to sing drums also, when composing.

July 16, 2008, 10:10:22 AM
The point that drum triggering started to take over studio recordings is the point that metal drumming began to lose most of its life as an artform. Nowadays, it is an absolute rarity to hear a metal album that doesn't at least trigger the toms and bass.

The results:

Drum kits today sound absurdly artificial.

The idea of dynamics all but disappeared.

Speed and being "all over the place" have became valued over simple thing like power and technique.

etc.

Cigno

July 17, 2008, 05:16:12 AM
Drum triggering became "da hook" of current metal, it swept out all the rest into the flatness of pop music.
Sadly, ironically, latter Immortal became an example of this...