Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New Darkthrone Interview(New album)

New Darkthrone Interview(New album)
August 04, 2005, 04:04:31 AM
I understand you are basically finished recording your new album tentatively titled “The Cult is Alive” which seems pretty straightforward for an album title from you guys.  Can you tell us a little about it and how it compares to the rest of your albums?  Also what are some of the song titles?

Yeah, you’re right, we’re almost finished. 2 songs left to record.  The title will of the album will tell you lots more once you’ve heard the album.  The album was supposed to have 11 tracks, but that is now reduced to 10.  The 11th song will appear exclusively for our single alongside a coversong (won’t tell you the name of the band yet).  Those two tracks are only for the single, but it will also contain one song from the album, only slightly different.  Fenriz also does some vocals for the album and single, and, guitar solos are also the new agenda.  Things are for sure happening.  Oh, did I mention a music video?  We’ll make a LOW BUDGET video, no fancy glitter and glamour here.  We must make sure the necro and cold music parade through an otherwise fancy and plastic scene.  All this single and video stuff is only meant for this time only.  We must set our mark. Some titles for the album: “Too Old Too Cold”, “Graveyard Slut” and….hmmm “The Cult of Goliath”.

It seems that with each new album you guys are releasing the expectations are increasing.  I think this has several reasons which include the increased focus and artistic strength of your recent albums setting the bar higher and higher.  What do you think about this observation?

Well, we actually feel some of that as well.  I remember after the recording of “Sardonic Wrath”, we thought “how the hell are we going to top this one?”, and we usually don’t think like that, but fuck yeah, we topped it big time (only our opinion).  So now the big question is raised, “will we top this one?”  My answer is a resounding yes, ‘cause we have lots more to offer, and we will be even better.

You recently made a trip to Japan for the Norwegian Black metal exhibition by photographer Peter Beste.  How did this go?  What was your impression of Japan and Peter Beste?  His popularity seems to have grown quite a bit.

That was a hell of a cool trip.  I’m just fascinated by Japan, the people, the mad modern culture combined with ancient culture and behaviour.  Peter is a very good photographer, and I have known him for quite a while now.  Guess I’ll meet up with him later, maybe in Poland.

Also to go along with the Norwegian Black metal exhibition you also released the Under Beskyt’telse av Morke Boxed set limited to 666 copies(which is one of the best boxed sets I have ever seen).  How did this come about?  I know Makoto said he designed it.  Can you tell us a little more about what it contains and the rehearsal session that is featured in it?

Well, it’s 3 rehearsal songs from Under A Funeral Moon, some postcards and a little figure with Darkthrone logo on it.  Mad stuff, but I really have not seen much of it.  I don’t even own a boxset myself.  Makoto was bragging about sending me two sets when I got home….yeah right.  I heard from Satoshi, but when I was to return my answer, the address did not work.  Great guys, Satoshi looked completely mad with scooter and crash-helmet.

How is Tyrant Syndicate going?  What will be your next release/signing?  Also do you have any words regarding Agressor’s(Aura Noir) injury?  I was thinking you guys should try and steal Audiopain away from Vendlus records.  They seem like a perfect fit.

The syndicate is going fine indeed.  We have just signed OLD from Germany, and you’ll definitely gonna be in awe after they release their debut early next year.  They know what they want, they don’t mess around trying to be great, but they are a fantastic band which we are really looking forward to release.  Abscess is also in talks with us, and it’s no denying we’re huge fans.  And that band has a great story, ever since Reifert drummed his way through “Scream Bloody Gore”, the first Death album.  We’re not able to sign much more for now, lots of work to be done, and since Aura Noir also is up to something these days, it’ll be enough for now.  Aggressor is doing really fine, and we are all very optimistic for him.  He’s a fighter.  I’ve visit as often as I can, and he seems to recover each time I “pop” by.

The full interview is at NocturnalCult.com

Re: New Darkthrone Interview(New album)
August 05, 2005, 12:37:08 PM
A typical interview with Darkthrone. The interview leaves an impression, that these guys do not care about anything.
"Death the ultimate reality death the ultimate reason to live."

August 05, 2005, 10:07:36 PM
I understand you are basically finished recording your new album tentatively titled “The Cult is Alive”

That's a really stupid name for it.

August 06, 2005, 09:11:58 AM
Positive news:

It is to be recorded on a 4 track by the sounds of things.

It is not going to be released on Moonfog.

This quote: "Why doesn’t someone just bomb the Vatican and Mecca altogether?  Beats me, but it tells us that humans are too weak." At least there is some provocation still at large in the Darkthrone camp.

Negatives:

It will probably be as lacklusture as anything post 'Panzer Faust' and ultimately a total waste of time: a bit like this reply.

Wolfbane

August 06, 2005, 11:36:03 PM
It's a educated guess to say that but I still have some hope that fenriz will surprise us.

Annihilaytorr

August 07, 2005, 08:02:26 PM
"Nuke Mecca" could be said by half the Joe Republicans politicians in America with little consequence, and "Nuke the Vatican" is party line rhetoric for any band remotely "Black Metal".

Nuke Israel? Then I might pay attention.

January 20, 2006, 02:21:49 AM
frickin' hell

listening to the new ep right now "TOO HOT TOO COLD". sounds like A Blaze in the Northern Sky mixed with Turbonegro, with disastrious results.

this is kinda depressing. and I actually liked Sardonic Wrath
Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music, music is the BEST.
~ Frank Zappa

January 20, 2006, 05:20:14 AM
Darkthone is, well, darkthrone.

My impression I get is that they simply got bored of intellectual elitistism and as a result, there is a goof ball darkthrone.

Regardless of their change in attitude, Fenriz remains an intellectual that I admire. His quotes about dreams and cosmic idealims in Neptune Towers has had a profound affect on me.  

TC

January 20, 2006, 12:25:20 PM
i like it.  at least, the one song.  i would appreciate it if someone would upload the EP.

of course, i also like Thesyre.

January 20, 2006, 01:47:05 PM
Wow... Darkthrone has officially abandoned all aspects of metal.  They're now entirely hardcore.

I never thought I'd hear solos like that on a Darkthrone release.

TC

January 20, 2006, 01:49:38 PM
having just listened to 'graveyard slut', those were my first thoughts too.  i still say 'too old too cold' was a good song.

TC

January 20, 2006, 02:16:02 PM
wow, that siouxsie & the banshees cover... o.O

January 20, 2006, 02:19:43 PM
I'd say that the phrase "Too Old, Too Cold" describes Darkthrone perfectly at this point.  No spirit left, they should just break up.

January 20, 2006, 02:56:38 PM
I couldn't even put myself to read that interview. I bet you can compare this interview with any they've done in the past five or six years, and you couldn't tell the difference, aside from the album name.

As Fenriz hinted at sometime in the mid 90's, you can't maintain that same Black Metal hate and spirit for so long. You begin to let go a bit. Seems like they're just going with the motions.

February 17, 2006, 07:44:38 PM
the new single is great,the more I listen,the more I like.It really sounds like Venom to me,Venom also had the punk feel going for them,& so does darkthrone.It's not like they sound like later Bathory or Celtic Frost or something.