Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

sketchy Norwegian black metal

sketchy Norwegian black metal
July 18, 2008, 05:38:53 AM
ok, since the work of the 'conceptualizers' (notably: Darkthrone, Immortal, Burzum; possibly: Emperor, Enslaved, Gorgoroth) has already been talked to death years ago does anybody have anything to say about the other bands of the period? what about that Norwegian black metal of questionable value which came immediately after the groundwork had been laid out? Specifically, I'm thinking of the first couple of albums from Gehenna, Ancient, and Dimmu Borgir (I could mention Satyricon or Ulver, e.g., but I won't ;)). Personally, I could never get into this stuff entirely but I wouldn't call it second-rate either as this stuff was inspired although never brilliant. I consider these records at least historically important because it really fleshed out the style and so also everyone's idea of what black metal is or should be even if they've mostly been collecting dust for five years or so.

Re: sketchy Norwegian black metal
July 18, 2008, 03:43:40 PM
Ancient's Svartalvheim is excellent. There's an obvious Darkthrone influence but it doesn't take away from the unique and convincing sound the band pulls off. The acoustic and ambient sections are haunting yet whimsical. I often find myself with a riff stuck in my head, then remember it's Ancient and throw on this album.

Gehenna comes off as the kind of band that would be too full of cheese to honestly listen to but under closer inspection they have some excellent material. I'm only familiar with the first 2 spells but they are both great albums.

Dimmu Borgir is shit. They actually showed potential in their first 2 albums but quickly turned into mallcore. Same with Satyricon.

I've never bothered to listen to Ulver, really. I've heard bits and pieces of their later, non-black metal stuff and it sounded like Neil Diamond singing RnB songs, so I passed.

I think Hades deserves a mention as a quality band that followed in the footsteps of the second wave but brought some uniqueness to the table.