Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Speed/Thrash metal

Speed/Thrash metal
August 14, 2005, 01:31:04 AM
I dont know much from this subgenre, so i was wondering if anyone could suggest some good speed or thrash metal bands.

Re: Speed/Thrash metal
August 14, 2005, 02:30:55 AM
I don't know much about them, but Sodom would be a good place to start.

August 14, 2005, 01:22:56 PM
Instead of asking about all the different subgenres metal has to offer, take a look at this part of the site before you ask any more questions: http://www.anus.com/metal/about/styles/

August 14, 2005, 06:06:01 PM
yeah i already did go their, but it only lists seven bands of which five Im already familiar with.

August 14, 2005, 08:51:43 PM
Therein, the Speed Metal, Speed/Death, and Black/Thrash bands should be of interest. All contain use of speed metal elements to some degree.

August 16, 2005, 03:14:59 AM
thats true actualy thanks for the heads up

August 16, 2005, 12:48:26 PM
EXHORDER...

August 17, 2005, 09:33:57 PM
I dont know much from this subgenre, so i was wondering if anyone could suggest some good speed or thrash metal bands.
Kreator, Sodom, Testament, Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, Metallica....

Ya know, the usual.

August 19, 2005, 04:06:15 PM
im also curious about the german thrash bands, I've heard Kreator, but what are the other ones?

August 19, 2005, 05:12:39 PM
Hobbs Angel of Death s/t
Possessed 'Beyond the Gates'
Voi Vod 'War and Pain'
Slayer 'Hell Awaits'
Kreator 'Pleasure to Kill'
Metallica 'Ride the Lightning'
Anthrax 'Among the Living'
Sepultura 'Schizophrenia'
Exodus 'Bonded by Blood'
Stormtroopers of Death 'Speak English or Die' (arguably a Hardcore or  Thrash record. Fucking classic no matter what)
Dark Angel 'Darknes Descends'
Destruction 'Infernal Overkill' (Ger)
Assassin 'The Upcoming Terror' (Ger)

Avoid Testament and Death Angel.

German bands I recall as a youth were Vectom, Angel Dust, Mekong Delta, Tankard and Holy Moses. Keep meaning to get some Holy Moses, Angel Dust and Mekong Delta but I recall the other 2 were fairly mediocre (although I am speaking on memories from 1986/ 87, so who knows?) Sodom, of course, were a great German band from back in the day.

August 24, 2005, 01:51:10 AM
PRONG

I hate it when people call them "thrash." It's like calling the English heterosexual.

October 01, 2006, 11:24:06 PM
some good ones for you

TANKARD (ger)
IRON ANGEL (ger)
CYCLONE (U.K)
SACRILEGE (U.K)
CORONER (SWITZ)
ONSLAUGHT (U.K)
ARTILLERY (Denmark)
INFERNAL MAJESTY (CAN)
RAZOR (CAN)
SACRIFICE (CAN)
ZNOWHITE (U.S)
DESTRUCTOR (U.S)
ZOETHROPE (U.S)
BULLDOZER (Italy)

note these are all 80's "old school" bands top notch. I could go on forever but the above mentioned should suite your needs for a while.

October 02, 2006, 02:23:42 AM
Here`s my take;

GOOD;
Slayer (RIB is the best thrash album of all time, HTC is the best metal EP ever), Metallica (RTL not far behind), Exorcist(US), Blessed Death, áInfernal Majesty, Carrion(CHE), Juggernaut, Harter Attack, Sentinel Beast, Skull Crusher(HOL), Second Hell, Deathwish, Forced Entry, DBC, Bulldozer(ITA),áDarkness(ESSEN), á(old) Running Wild, Seventh Angel, Devastation, Nasty Savage, Atomkraft, Living Death, Onslaught, Watchtower, Annihilator, Coroner, Sacrilege(UK), Deathwish, Aggression, Iron Angel, Hallows Eve, Razor, E-X-E, Necrodeath, Holy Terror, Poison(GER), Dream Death (some call this band doom, I call them thrash)

AVERAGE;
Gammacide, Nuclear Assault, NME, Destruction, Possessed, Exodus, Forbidden, Heathen, Hirax, Vio-Lence, Anthrax, Overkill, Sadus, Rigor Mortis, Flotsam And Jetsam, Mandator, Indestroy, Kreator, Bloodlust, Viking, Dark Angel, The Haunted, Hobbs Angel Of Death, Violent Force, Slaughter Lord, Minotaur, Solstice, Voivod, Vulcano, Paradox, Abattoir, Assassin, Hades, Whiplash, Morbid Saint, At War

CRAP;
Megadeth, Tankard, Faith Or Fear, Messiah, Stormtroopers Of Death. Any Sodom after Obsessed By Cruelty is also worthless, IMHO.

In response to A Famine`s post; Coroner are from Switzerland, Artillery are from Denmark and Cyclone are from Belgium, assuming you were referring to the same bands.

October 02, 2006, 02:39:52 AM
you guys sure know your shit..whatta great bunch of lists................

alos chk out Rage, Morbid Saint, Suicidal Tendnencies (mid era), DRI, Cro-Mags, Rigor Mortis, Sadus, Metal Church., MOD..............

ueah some are mor etarditional , some more hardcorish but all can be viewed as ass-kicking examples of speed metal...

avoid latter day slayer (post seasons), mettalica (post justice), megadeth (post rust) and newer angel dust like the goddamn plague.....

October 02, 2006, 03:07:23 AM
Hahaha? Was putting The Haunted in a thrash list a joke? I find a lot of your folks taste in thrash metal disturbing to some degree. Bands like Assassin, S.O.D., and  Harter Attack (among others) are hardly worth mention.  That said, I'll mention a bunch of bands not worth your time...

Someone asked about German bands?
Well... I can list all that I'm familiar with.  The ones with all the <'s next to them, are essential, in my opinion. Sodom and Tankard, had thier moments, but praise for 3rd rate shit like Assassin and Living Death fuck that nonsense. Someone who is new to the genre, or subgenres of speed/thrash metal shouldn't start off with any of that.

Acessory (Death/Thrash)
Accuser/Accužer (Thrash, then later Groove bullshit)
Angel Dust (First album)
Archaic Torse (Death/Thrash)
Assorted Heap (Thrash metal)
Assassin
Baphomet (Death/Thrash) Excellent Hallow's Eve cover on thier 2nd album.
Blind Guardian (First two)
Brainless
Chronical Diarrhoea (Thrash/Crossover)
Darkness
Death In Action
Deathrow <<<<<<<<<<<
Despair
Destruction <<<<<<<<<<<
End Amen (Post-Deathrow)
Erosion <<<<<<<<<<<
Exorcist
Exumer (Slayer clone)
Grinder
Helloween (First album)
Headhunter (Power/Thrash)
Holy Moses
Howlin' Mad
Incubator
Iron Angel (Excellent first album)
Jumpin' Jesus (Death/Thrash)
Kreator <<<<<<<<<<<
Living Death
Mega Mosh
Mekong Delta
Minotaur
Mottek (HC Punk for 2 albums, then Fatal Violence was well done thrash metal)
Necronomicon
Paradox
Protector <<<<<<<<<<<
Rage (Early albums)
Rumble Militia
Sacred Chao (Post-Living Death)
Skullbreaker (nu-thrash, but decent)
S.D.I./Satan's Defloration Incorporated
Sodom
Tankard
Toxic Shock
Toxin
Vectom
Vendetta
Violent Force
Vomitory
Warpath

I rate Erosion higher than most, I think they incorporated thier hardcore influences better than most German bands.

As far as where to start with thrash/speed metal.
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Slayer - Hell Awaits/Haunting The Chapel
Exodus - Bonded By Blood

And a couple albums that got me digging around for all the thrash metal I could find:
Sabbat - History of a Time To Come
Razor - Violent Restitution
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare

Sorry if all the name dropping pisses anyone off.