Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Early Vader

Early Vader
August 15, 2005, 07:14:51 AM
I've heard that Darkthrone was influenced by Vader's demos, which date back to around 1986. This came as a huge surprise to me, especially considering that they consider them an influence on their post-Soulside Journey, black metal output. I've always thought of Vader as a late-comer Death Metal band who released a couple decent albums then became mediocre. I figured they must have formed in the early 90's at the earliest, but apparently they have demos from the 80's. Has anyone heard these, and if so, what do they sound like?

Re: Early Vader
August 15, 2005, 09:00:41 AM
They released "Reborn in Chaos" years ago which compiled the "Necrolust" and "Morbid Reich" demos from 1989 and 1990. One of the demos sold a ridiculous amount of copies, especially for a band in Eastern Europe at the time (10.000+ if I recall correctly).  They also apparently released a demo dating to 1986 which I have not heard, but I imagine it sounds like most of the primitive stuff at that time.  The two later demos are mostly brutal sounding versions of songs that made it to the debut CD.

August 19, 2005, 10:46:46 PM
Vader's demos are good. For those too young to remember, one of the reasons their demo sold so well is that it was one of the few (4) death metal bands active behind the Iron Curtain at that time.

Study Questions:

1. What was the Iron Curtain?

2. Where were Vader from?

3. What events after WWII might have shaped that country at the time?

August 20, 2005, 11:16:44 PM
Vader's demos are good. For those too young to remember, one of the reasons their demo sold so well is that it was one of the few (4) death metal bands active behind the Iron Curtain at that time.

Study Questions:

1. What was the Iron Curtain?

2. Where were Vader from?

3. What events after WWII might have shaped that country at the time?

I didn't think of them as an older band really, because they sound fairly youthful on De Profundis, which is the album by them I listen to usually. So my hypothesis, is that they existed as a mature band for a long time, but didn't release anything except demos in order to avoid detection by the commies running the country? I'm impressed by their dedication. I know quite a few people of Polish descent, and in my experience they tend to be chauvinistic Catholics who hate thought and love popular culture, with a few disporportionately great exceptions. I guess this might just be the way that Poles who specifically decide to leave their homeland for monetary reasons are. Avoiding a government based on the most idiotic ideas of the modern era along with a populace who are intent on following the most idiotic religion so far devised is indeed an awesome feat. That's downright inspiring, actually.

Thanks for the replies.