Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

asdfm

asdfm
July 24, 2008, 01:18:05 AM

Re: Your Metal Experience.
July 24, 2008, 03:35:15 AM
In stark contrast when I listen to music I do not enjoy painting a picture of the events the will of the music portrays. I much prefer to simply let the sounding qualities of the music enact a will within myself. Personally this kind of appreciation stems heavily from Schopenhauer's theory of the will and representation. Music he states is the heights form of art for it needs to intermediate between and preceptor and the art, where say visual art requires the visual elements to excite thought which then create will, if they create a will in the viewer. Thus I consider the act of imagining a locale and characters to put a mediator between you and the music, rather then experiencing the music directly. Such is the way I enjoy music.

July 24, 2008, 10:44:40 AM
I would agree with that, particularly when i'm listenning to death metal and some more abstract black metal such as ildjarn. I enjoy the unpredictability of death metal in the same way i would classical, the verse chorus structure has simply become boring since listenning to more complex strucutres. I let the riffs and tempo changes flow over me, it sort of carries me along, but that feeling is far more abstract than fantasy worlds created by the listenning. When i listen to say, burzum or Summoning, the best way is to go for a walk, in woodlands or the countryside, instead of imagining the world in my head, i rather enjoy nature listenning to music that worships nature. It gives the most authentic experience. Solitude is also very important for me to get the most out of it. Most of my friends do not enjoy metal, so when i'm socializing rock music is normally in the background, it doesn't require the same amount of attention and it does not get it.

I think its similar to reading a book. When you read a novel, particularly a fantasy novel, its cool to think that countless different interpretations of said world exist in the many different minds who have read the book. The same goes for music, not just the interpretation, but also the feelings it stirs up in you.

July 24, 2008, 10:53:45 AM
Most of the time (ie when not doing the nature music / nature walk thing which I really like) I just get into a type of meditative trance and just let the music overwhelm me. Simple as that I just get out of context with reality nearly like a dead meatbag with headphones on.

July 24, 2008, 06:51:57 PM
I would agree with that, particularly when i'm listenning to death metal and some more abstract black metal such as ildjarn. I enjoy the unpredictability of death metal in the same way i would classical, the verse chorus structure has simply become boring since listenning to more complex strucutres. I let the riffs and tempo changes flow over me, it sort of carries me along, but that feeling is far more abstract than fantasy worlds created by the listenning. When i listen to say, burzum or Summoning, the best way is to go for a walk, in woodlands or the countryside, instead of imagining the world in my head, i rather enjoy nature listenning to music that worships nature. It gives the most authentic experience. Solitude is also very important for me to get the most out of it. Most of my friends do not enjoy metal, so when i'm socializing rock music is normally in the background, it doesn't require the same amount of attention and it does not get it.

I think its similar to reading a book. When you read a novel, particularly a fantasy novel, its cool to think that countless different interpretations of said world exist in the many different minds who have read the book. The same goes for music, not just the interpretation, but also the feelings it stirs up in you.

You should make sure you do not become a slave to the complexities of music, it is the strength of character that is important, musical devices simply achieve this end. There is after all classical music does utilize the verse chorus song structure and many classical pieces far exceeding rock music in simplicity, with such forms as the prelude and recitative.

Raise_the_Dead

July 24, 2008, 08:27:27 PM
It's understandable that you don't know how to put all of your experience of music into words.  That is often the nature of inner experience: it's unquantifiable, meaning it doesn't reduce down to words and symbols easily.  Is there any wonder why the masses fear metal?  Metal is genuine emotion, and emotions don't come with a price tag, and don't fit well into their good / evil duality.  It's not something you can talk about the same way you talk about jobs, food, money, politics, etc.

Personally, I like the connection between music and imaginary worlds.  Being a primarily visual thinker and an artist, I do the same myself.  I also find it rewarding to gaze at the album art while I'm listening.  [See Kvist for a great example of cover art that fits the music well.]  Some it seems, take the view that music is best in a completely abstract form; I disagree.  Personally, I never saw music as a math problem.  Not that I have a problem with math, of course, but music as art is more than that.  As well, some say such listening puts a mediator between the listener and the music; I find it adds to the experience.  It is the same with the poetic aspect of metal - who didn't get chills the first time you read the lyrics to, say, Angel of Death while hearing it playing?  That is one of the great aspects of metal: it utilizes aesthetic the same way that Romantic music did - to add to the experience.  No one would care about Darkthrone if their albums were recorded on MIDI instruments, with no cover art, no lyrics, etc.  I will be quiet now, as I'm probably causing more than a few dead philosophers to roll in their graves, and our [self-appointed] intellectual elite is probably scoffing at me.

Oh, and don't worry about not getting the reviews.  I get the feeling few of us do, but they're great nonetheless.  ;)

Lastly, I have found that walking with music on headphones is rarely enjoyable.  I much prefer to sit still.