Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pseudo-Intellectuals complain about Pseudo-Elitism

Christ, that post was just perfect.

Raise_the_Dead

@ CFM:

Can't art convey a knowledge of the laws of the universe, and have Romantic qualities as well?  Can someone explain to me why Romanticism (seemingly) has fallen out of favor around here?

@ CFM:

Can't art convey a knowledge of the laws of the universe, and have Romantic qualities as well?  Can someone explain to me why Romanticism (seemingly) has fallen out of favor around here?

I do not think that it has fallen out of favor so much as those who were always opposed to it realized they were not alone on this forum.  There are much less Wagners on this site then I first concluded and many more Bachs then I would have dared to imagine. It seems that it was only once the conservatory realized there was a conservatorium that we saw it prudent to share like minded ideas.

In response to your first question I would say yes. There was a strong movement in the Romantic period to keep with the classical (period) tradition of form over sentiment while at the same time still being dramatically effected by the contemporary style. For this there is Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Brahms and Schumann. Although I postulate that many composers outside of Romanticism had great reservoir of human feeling and emotion.

This site has always been pro-Romanticism. The forum? Well, anyone can register.

The thing to remember about Romanticism is that it is a recurring movement, formed of ideas, that shows up in all forms of art and thought.

It is not sentiment over form; it is about finding real experience in ultimate reality through looking at the world in terms of beauty and not Rationalist thought.

It is inherently structuralist, and while it uses the individual as its instrument, it is not individualist. In fact, its worship of death and the ancient denies the importance of the individual.

It is not a theory for beginners. But anyone can register.