Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Judas Priest - Nostradamus
August 01, 2008, 11:39:50 PM
I'm surprised that no one has started this topic yet. I thought this was a good sign for metal. Judas Priest is actually trying something new(that isn't a gimmick) and they're actually famous and they're getting good reviews! Perhaps this is a sign of things to come.

Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus
August 11, 2008, 03:26:06 AM
I found Priest's Notradamus to be quite boring even though I usually enjoy their music. I think the critics are being too generous with them because of their age, a bit like the Rolling Stones of heavy metal.

August 11, 2008, 05:08:16 AM
Well I wasn't saying that their album was particularly good, especially by this forums standards, but it is definitely a huge step up from most music today. Now I'm not celebrating them for being less bad. I'm celebrating them because they actually did something different that wasn't a gimmick and made something that was intended to be listened to intently, not something that you listen to for 30 seconds and change to another song on your ipod. However their album was a big let down because they really got my hopes up when they described it. But I still have hopes. In their interviews they said multiple times that they limited how creative they would be on this album because they didn't want to alienate their fans. I believe they said something along the lines of, "Our fans expect Judas Priest music, so that's what we have to give them." That's why the songs are centered around old metal style melodies and structures etc. I hope that they might just be taking baby steps to something better. Play something a little creative, then some thing better, and then have what they truly intended so that their fans can adjust since most of their fans like bands like Whitesnake.

August 11, 2008, 07:09:42 AM
I'm surprised that no one has started this topic yet. I thought this was a good sign for metal. Judas Priest is actually trying something new(that isn't a gimmick) and they're actually famous and they're getting good reviews! Perhaps this is a sign of things to come.

Stop. That whole album is the very embodiment of gimmickry! First-off the whole Nostradomus idea in and of itself is as hackneyed and boring as the day is long - combine that with an accompanyment of stale rock cliches, ballads and half-baked metal for the ever-so-safe masses...it would seem safe to say there isn't much "new" there at all. 

August 11, 2008, 10:42:41 AM
Some of the songs seem to hint at the true compositional ability of Tipton and Downing that was evident in 70's Judas Priest, before they peaked commercially and started emphasizing crowd-friendly rockers. The problem with this album seems to be that it's an overblown rock opera, which as Heydrich remarked was a gimmick since day one. And moreover, it's not insanely enough overblown so that it would manage to break to flight from under the "half-baked" material... sorry to say this, but so far it seems I prefer the previous album which was the opposite of trying something new.

August 12, 2008, 07:29:07 PM
The problem with this album seems to be that it's an overblown rock opera.

How can that possibly ever be considered a gimmick?

August 15, 2008, 02:32:42 PM
I just saw Priest live, with Voivod as the opening act. All I can say is it was a fucking killer show, perfect in every way, but the Nostradamus material didn't impress me much. Some of it seemed to just drag on, even. It sounded like some kind of Broadway metal with riffs so obvious and simple that even I could have written that album.

I was there and Priest proved to be still good at playing its older songs. Were in the mosh pit at some point? I may have stepped over you.

September 07, 2008, 01:23:01 AM
how did you see voivod?  piggy's dead...did i miss something?

September 07, 2008, 04:04:10 AM
how did you see voivod?  piggy's dead...did i miss something?
Dan Mongrain of Martyr is helping them out with shows. They're still great live, I enjoyed them a lot more than Priest personally.

They'll be using riffs that piggy composed shortly before his death (that's what he wanted) on the upcoming albums it seems.

September 08, 2008, 03:45:06 AM
Yes that was indeed a good show for Voivod. They're really doing great.

Did you saw it in Montreal ?

September 08, 2008, 07:54:02 PM
wow.  now i think voivod is fucking insane, even if that is what piggy wanted.

September 09, 2008, 12:41:40 AM
Yes that was indeed a good show for Voivod. They're really doing great.

Did you saw it in Montreal ?
I did. Seems like there's quite a few people from the Montreal area around here.

September 09, 2008, 01:56:52 AM
I suggest you to visit the Quebec Nihilist Underground Society (Société Nihiliste du Québec) at www.anus.com/tribes/qnus

We have a section with metal albums and reviews.

+

You can help the Quebec community, be it artistic (Metal) or other forms.

Jay

February 11, 2009, 12:51:14 PM
I think for the first time Judas Priest failed its attempt to sound modern. Appaling album.

February 28, 2009, 10:55:40 PM
The lyrics ruin it for me, although the music is a close second in ruining it.

It is a step away from the metalocalypse band, Dethklok, in comic parody metal territory.

Also, Rob forgot to write interesting vocal melodies.