Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Arvo Pärt

Arvo Pärt
August 02, 2008, 06:39:57 AM
A man who looked back to see forward. A modern man and very much alive, he takes all that church music has ever had to offer whether baroque or renaissance and combines it with the musical freedoms granted in the 20th and 21st centuries. His music cuts aside the cancers of popular sentiment and emotion that arose as a reaction against Bach and Handel and takes a holistic approach to art by emulating the qualities shown by the baroque greats. We celebrate Burzum, Dead can Dance, we celebrate the modern artists that capture some sort of sense of vir as it were in the human character. We should make it a habit to praise this man whenever the possibility arises.

Re: Arvo Pärt
August 03, 2008, 12:58:05 AM
i have heard much of this composer. is his work anywhere in the audio section? im interested in hearing his work.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

August 03, 2008, 02:03:31 AM
Actually now that you mention it he is not. I shall upload his Berlin Mass immediately.

EDIT: Done

August 03, 2008, 03:16:03 AM
thank you Celt. i will listen to this and tell you what i think in due time.

EDIT: Celt...that link just leads back to this thread.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

August 04, 2008, 02:22:49 AM
im listening right now, and im about halfway through my second listen of the album.

this music is joyous, very moving and uplifting, though not in the "everythins gonna be allriiight man" way. highly inspiring work. i must admit that my classical experience is still quite limited, but i am really appreciating the intricacies of his work. it has a real beauty in the way it is arranged. i find it hard to believe that this man is still around today and is not widely recognized as being quite talented.

kudos for the upload, and thanks a lot.
No.

August 04, 2008, 04:16:09 AM
I shall upload a set of organ works by him later on today. Although it should be noted that while half the album is Arvo Pärt, there are several other (living) eastern European composers as well.

EDIT: Uploaded.

BachIsDead

August 05, 2008, 06:31:19 AM
I can only say that I went through a short Arvo Part phase since his stuff was fairly hard to find when I got into it. That being said, I enjoyed those few works I heard immensely. Simple but expressive music.

Tabula Rasa, Orient & Occident and Spiegel Im Spiegel are recommended.

August 05, 2008, 09:59:20 AM
Enjoyable as an aesthetic experience, but overrated as art.

August 05, 2008, 10:50:43 AM
I would say that is true depending on what era of his work you look at. Not surprisingly his stint with the 12 tone system should be avoided, yet works like his saint John passion should be welcomed with open arms. If his music is only aesthetically pleasing, I fail to see a single black metal act worth anything but a frivolous and lighthearted pursuit, even Burzum. 

August 05, 2008, 02:38:32 PM
I enjoy works by Part and John Taverner in a soundtrack-y sort of way, but they make pretend ancient music without the fire or the earthiness of the real thing.  It's very much of a piece with the social positioning of the contemporary Orthodox faith, to which both men adhere: a veneer of pleasing ancient ritual plastered over modern convenience.  The problem I have with it is that it takes on a very narrow range of medieval aesthetic elements (specifically, the ones most familiar to us from film scores and occult bookstore muzak) and crams them together into a pleasant but directionless collage that makes for great sonic wallpaper, but not much else.  It's better than 99% of what's out there, but Burzum comes a lot closer to the actual spirit of the ancients than this sort of commercial necromancy ever could. 

There are so many high quality recordings of actual ancient music that it makes Part seem a little unnecessary.  I'd certainly rather listen to Tabula Rasa than most modern academic music, but I'd rather listen to Dead Can Dance, or better yet, performance troupes specializing in medieval and Renaissance music performing actual period pieces than either.

August 05, 2008, 09:49:44 PM
Let's tone it down a bit gents. We don't need to get pejorative.

Personally, I don't like Arvo Part either -- he seems very surface. Oh well. I also detest Mendelssohn, Schoenberg and Mahler, which makes people assume I'm either anti-Semitic or uncultured. I'm only fond of about half of the Mozart I've heard, which must mean I'm anti-Austrian or something.

If we keep our critique to the art itself, we don't end up becoming pompous elitist bores who shout each other down to compare metaphorical organs of insemination.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

August 07, 2008, 11:18:36 PM
Arvo Part has some nice stuff but most of his output isn't overwhelmingly brilliant, I really enjoy Spiegel im Spiegel and I rate it as his best. However, there is not enough consistency in all of his works to really praise this gent as I would with many other musicians. Just as many mediocre metal bands have the odd 'good' song or interesting set of concepts/lyrics, generally they lack consistency in a single album (nevermind their entire catalogue) and hence are forgettable. To echo ASBO's post, I find Schoenberg and Mahler to be incredibly boring and don't see why many people rate them so highly. They are two people that I really struggle to see why praise is given. However I found Mendelssohn to be better but still not fantastic. Mozart is better still, some of his music IS great but still lacking behind Beethoven and several others. This hierarchy of musicians is present in all genres, so I don't see a problem giving credit where it is due: eg. listen to the one good song by a mediocre musician but disgard the rest.

August 08, 2008, 06:11:08 AM
Arvo Part has some nice stuff but most of his output isn't overwhelmingly brilliant, I really enjoy Spiegel im Spiegel and I rate it as his best. However, there is not enough consistency in all of his works to really praise this gent as I would with many other musicians. Just as many mediocre metal bands have the odd 'good' song or interesting set of concepts/lyrics, generally they lack consistency in a single album (nevermind their entire catalogue) and hence are forgettable. To echo ASBO's post, I find Schoenberg and Mahler to be incredibly boring and don't see why many people rate them so highly. They are two people that I really struggle to see why praise is given. However I found Mendelssohn to be better but still not fantastic. Mozart is better still, some of his music IS great but still lacking behind Beethoven and several others. This hierarchy of musicians is present in all genres, so I don't see a problem giving credit where it is due: eg. listen to the one good song by a mediocre musician but disgard the rest.

With this I can heartily agree. Many of his compositions are what has already been described as directionless and lacks substance and I only choose to listen to a select part of his output. Although I do think when he is in the right it can be very good.

Let's tone it down a bit gents. We don't need to get pejorative.

Personally, I don't like Arvo Part either -- he seems very surface. Oh well. I also detest Mendelssohn, Schoenberg and Mahler, which makes people assume I'm either anti-Semitic or uncultured. I'm only fond of about half of the Mozart I've heard, which must mean I'm anti-Austrian or something.

If we keep our critique to the art itself, we don't end up becoming pompous elitist bores who shout each other down to compare metaphorical organs of insemination.

To this I can sympathize, People seem to think that because I enjoy classical music I enjoy all classical music. While my tastes differ from yours I am just as selective with what I listen to. I do not enjoy the Romantic period with the only exceptions being Schubert, Brahms and several composers of the Russian tradition (also continuing into the 20th century). My heart however is in the Baorque. It may be Bach, his sons or cousins, Handel, Vivaldi and almost any German composer of the era.

Cigno

August 08, 2008, 11:23:49 PM
Why people here overreact their dislikes? I really enjoy just a few works from Pärt, Schöenberg and Mahler, anything else from them, anyway, is much closer to art than to simple entertainment.
Not everyone in classical is a genius, of course.