Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Death metal with good bass

Death metal with good bass
August 04, 2008, 03:49:54 AM
Well I'm looking at getting back into bass, but my problem is that there is next to no good death metal with bass, that I have heard. Death and Black metal are my passion. No other form of metal can really appeal to me besides the two (little thrash, some doom). Only responses I have heard from people is Cannibal Corpse (hate them personally), Atheist (ok, but the bass in it isn't my thing), and Death (Human and ITP, yet again not my thing, doesn't break through the mix very well). Bass for the most part seems to be a worthless instrument in this genre. Bass I do like would be Acid Bath, deep and powerful.

I'm hoping some of you in here could recommend something to me.

Thank you.

Re: Death metal with good bass
August 04, 2008, 04:13:47 AM
I would choose bands of the New York death metal school. While the bass may not come as forward as the guitars many of the songs require similar levels of skill for the guitarists and bassists. I would also mention Obscura by Gorguts as being an album that the bass is not only more prominent aurally but also more important to the actual composition of the piece. Sweet Silence is a song particularly reliant on the bass.

Raise_the_Dead

August 04, 2008, 05:33:34 AM
Necromass - Abyss Calls Life
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path; Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins (split w/ Varathron)

Not really death metal, but you should be able to appreciate both bands.

August 04, 2008, 08:00:29 AM
I would recommend Demilich as well, but you'll be doing that by ear, since there aren't many tabs around for their material.

Gorguts songs, as recommended above, are great to learn on bass, but they will really try your skill.

Morbid Angel and Deicide have some solid bass parts as well.

August 04, 2008, 09:39:58 AM
Sinister
Baphomet
Barathrum
Autopsy
Cryptopsy

As for bass being "worthless" in this genre, couldn't be farther from the truth. Even if the bassist is mirroring the guitar riffs, it gives a thickness to the sound that can't be matched by simply the guitar alone. Beyond that, the main problem is studio engineers and the bassists themselves not knowing how to cut through the mix (first hint: don't scoop the mids).
://

August 04, 2008, 05:29:44 PM
Umm... Atheist and Pestilence?
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

chrstphrbnntt

August 05, 2008, 05:43:26 AM
Pavor - Furioso

You probably won't find more technically impressive bass playing (without being tasteless wank) in death metal.

August 06, 2008, 03:03:43 AM
A great album with some relatively technical but also quite interesting bass work is Symphony Masses from Therion.

It was one of the first death metal albums that gave the bass its rightful spotlight.

August 06, 2008, 11:28:52 AM
How about:

BOLT THROWER
CELTIC FROST
SADUS

The first two are maybe not technical-oriented bass exercises but I find it enjoyable how bass plays a great part in the construction of songs of these bands. SUFFOCATION had some cool bass parts, right? I have an impression they had but it's been too long since I listened to any of it.

August 08, 2008, 01:28:15 AM
Pavor - Furioso

You probably won't find more technically impressive bass playing (without being tasteless wank) in death metal.

Yeah these guys baffled me too.

August 08, 2008, 01:37:13 AM
Pavor - Furioso

Yeah these guys baffled me too.

The bass on A Pale Debilitating Autumn comes awfully close to tasteless wank.  The added texture is enough to forgive some of the more flamboyant soloing.

Anyway, death metal bass is defined aesthetically by AUTOPSY Severed Survival.  This far surpasses what all but the best of actual bass musicians, writing bass parts and pushing themselves to the forefront, were able to provide for it as an instrument.

August 08, 2008, 08:06:48 AM
Quo Vadis' bassist Forest utilizes bass textures like few can, he fuses technique and melody much better than most and i haven't heard anything better -  try the track Dead Mans Diary or Silence Calls The Storm.

13X

August 28, 2008, 01:36:44 AM
If you want some black metal with good bass, try out Farsot - IIII. And don't sleep on Strid.

August 28, 2008, 10:47:48 AM
Desultory, especially on Into Eternity.