Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal today SUCKS, kids

Re: Metal today SUCKS, kids
August 13, 2008, 08:11:05 PM
But the way I see it most notable changes in metal nowadays seem to be retrograde. A big amount of bands are trying to add the 80's sound to their music. This seems to be a trend, and not really what it's causing metal's decay. Just like at the beginning of the 90's, metal is in a slow period where new artists will eventually appear and force a change in a new direction.

August 13, 2008, 11:38:53 PM
But the way I see it most notable changes in metal nowadays seem to be retrograde. A big amount of bands are trying to add the 80's sound to their music. This seems to be a trend, and not really what it's causing metal's decay. Just like at the beginning of the 90's, metal is in a slow period where new artists will eventually appear and force a change in a new direction.

Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember the "retro-thrash" movement that started around 1996.  So, this has been going on for some time, which makes the real question why are the same things being emulated?

August 14, 2008, 01:28:46 AM
Ok you got me. I wrote my statement realizing that I didn't have an ironclad case in terms of examples. Also, it seems like most everyone's mind is made up around here- there's nothing new that's good. I still say that seeking out good metal (regardless of vintage) and focusing on enjoying it rather than bemoaning everything is still a better way to go. Like I said, we've got almost 30 years of good stuff- that should be sufficient for everyone. Hell, Hitler became immortal in less time than that.

August 14, 2008, 05:01:38 PM
But the way I see it most notable changes in metal nowadays seem to be retrograde.

When we run out of ideas there's always retro, the hipsters love it.

As the metal history section points out, metal always goes retro when it's out of ideas. Happened in late 1970s, late 1980s, and now, 00s, and it always precedes a radical change.

Metal needs to get less popular for that to happen. Kill the trend, be a crypto-metalhead.

August 14, 2008, 05:08:06 PM
I still say that seeking out good metal (regardless of vintage) and focusing on enjoying it rather than bemoaning everything is still a better way to go. Like I said, we've got almost 30 years of good stuff- that should be sufficient for everyone. Hell, Hitler became immortal in less time than that.

Sure, we could just say we had a good thirty years of Metal, seek out the classics and celebrate them, but why stop there? This is giving up. There could be so much more out there, surpassing even bands like BURZUM. The right people need to be inspired by the right music, and we could truly have a whole new era of brilliant Metal.

The problem is most Black Metal fans can't honestly tell why Burzum, Darkthrone and Immortal are better than Forgotten Tomb, Craft and Wolves In The Throne Room. Talented musicians who could be making interesting music are headed down the wrong path because they're stuck on trends [e.g. RAW KVLT GRIM, open-minded, indie rock-inspired, shoegaze Black Metal], rather than attempting to create something truly original.

August 14, 2008, 06:22:53 PM
I have long since stopped caring about originality. If a man today wrote a piece that note for note sounded if it were written by Schubert I would still enjoy it just as if it were Schubert. You can plainly see that in the baroque direct imitation of styles and other composers was extremely common but I certainly do not hold this against Bach who was well known for such things.

August 14, 2008, 08:21:39 PM
Style does not equal content.

Style and content must match, and then must match reality, to express something worthy...

But alone they are naked. (Agreed on Schubert clones however.)

August 19, 2008, 05:20:22 AM
WHAT!!!? I do favor some mainstream bands, like in flames or dimmu borgir, but most lack flavor and invigoration in their musical onplay.

August 21, 2008, 03:47:04 AM
i think we have another troll.

August 21, 2008, 06:26:31 AM
i think we have another troll.

The more seriously one takes oneself the more prone to trolling one is. What fun is it to insult a man that insults himself? If this is the case we are doomed to trolls.

August 21, 2008, 03:35:49 PM

August 21, 2008, 07:46:51 PM
www.counterorder.com

I actually thoroughly enjoy this website, I found it about the same time I did ANUS.

August 22, 2008, 12:21:02 AM
Sure, we could just say we had a good thirty years of Metal, seek out the classics and celebrate them, but why stop there? This is giving up. There could be so much more out there, surpassing even bands like BURZUM. The right people need to be inspired by the right music, and we could truly have a whole new era of brilliant Metal.

Do we give up when we stop wanting to cover ourselves in fecal matter? In that case I'm a 'giver-upper'. I'll keep listening to the classic metal albums amongst listening to other music but I'll keep an 'open mind' for Burzum, Summoning and Averse Sefira. So far those gents haven't thrown any shit.

The problem is most Black Metal fans can't honestly tell why Burzum, Darkthrone and Immortal are better than Forgotten Tomb, Craft and Wolves In The Throne Room. Talented musicians who could be making interesting music are headed down the wrong path because they're stuck on trends [e.g. RAW KVLT GRIM, open-minded, indie rock-inspired, shoegaze Black Metal], rather than attempting to create something truly original.

I agree with this. Most can't tell you why Burzum et al are greater than the others listed but fewer still make an attempt to even understand such a concept. I hold no grudge towards people that lack knowledge/experience if they show a willingness to learn and understand; we all start with zero experience but some people just don't progress in understanding at all: "gimme moar beercoar!11"

August 22, 2008, 03:03:36 PM
Here's what kills me

It's exactly the way hardcore was about 1985, when it died, and death metal in 1994, when it died

The overblown review laden with superlatives that everyone accepts because they're used to it. Every album they get is the best one on earth and yet they need more. Can you say "hollow"? "Unsatisfying"? "Addictive"? It's a viral addiction that can only come from wanting to be part of something yet not caring really what it is.

This is how hipsters pretend to be journalists/writers:

Amazing black metal from Germany, this is some top notch shit right here, incredible production / composition and some truly tormented vocals, it doesen't feel like a new band at all; expect some major stuff from these guys in the future; A must for fans of Lyrinx, Silencer, Shining and the like!

Excellent underground black metal from Italy, mid-paced black metal with some amazing composition that emanates a true feeling of despair, unlike many mediocre demo bands this is some excellent stuff! A must for fans of bands like Hypothermia, Austere etc.

Amazing split album between these two great artists, both perform some excellent doom laden black metal; Austere creates some mind shattering atmospheres, some riffs even remind me of Alcest; Lyrinx is just pure quality, they sure changed from their demos, absolutely incredible stuff on their two songs. Highly recommended!!

Excellent split album, Lascowiec performs some amazing atmospheric black metal in the vein of Blazbirthall bands (think early Branikald); Marblebog plays the usually amazing mid-paced atmospheric black metal we have come to expect from them & Vérzivatar picks the pace a bit with some slightly faster black metal. This is the first release I heard from Lascowiec and Vérzivatar and they really impress, definitely two bands to keep an eye out for. Great release!!

One of my all time favorite "war metal" bands, Cobalt is quite a unique presence, from the very strange cover to the very avant-gardish booklet you'd expect some experimental shit, instead Cobalt treats us with some unrelenting riffage and brutal vocal attack that is just spot-on, this one doesen't have the progressive touches of the new album but is nevertheless highly recommended!!!

Excellent compilation of pre-Salvation material, features the Devilry EP (with the Hellspell II song) and the Havoc demo. Unrelentless satanic black metal, can't go wrong here!

It shows us that urban dumb cosmopolitan college-educated dumb hipsters are as dumb as blue collar dumb brutal dumb death metal dumb fans

It reminds me of used car sales:

This baby has never really been driven! You'd expect a pokey old two-stroke in a car this elegant, but instead you get this V8 that will tear your face off! Also comes with plush carpets and a ruling stereo.

You never know what comes in to a lot like this. This car, however, is full of win. With an engine made by the best engineers of Yokahoma, Japan, and four-wheel-drive in addition to the supersonic paint job, you know you'll feel like a king driving this down the streets.

With the custom mods given to it by its last three owners, this car is the most unique vehicle we have. It melds the best of Toyota utility with the most powerful American muscle car tradition. What you get is both practical and powerful.

Our society has consumed itself with marketing. This corresponds to:

DEATH METAL
Coming from former members of Regurgulence, Homovore, Dessicated Scrotum and Ketosic Diarrhea, this new slab of crushing brutality will pummel you into unconsciousness. Macro-violent riffs, battering drums, and vocals that sound like a ghost being let out of hell through a scramjet engine, this CD is the most extreme thing ever fucking unleashed. It'll tear your fucking head off!

PUNK HARDCORE
While no one has ever quite managed to do a Vulcan mind-meld between the east coast and the west coast, Aphasic Taser Victim have put together the best of these styles. A little melody in the leading riff, a sense of dance to the chorus, and you have something entirely new that could be the future of punk rock, at least the best thing since Discharge went metal and started making lounge tunes for hearing-impaired wards of the juvenile court.

People always criticize the ANUS for "big words" but...

Combining random terms, cultural references, trends and ironies is NOT good writing!

Describing each CD as how it affects the personality of a reviewer is NOT good writing!

Focusing more on the trends than what's actually going on on the CD is NOT good writing!

People, don't let it happen to you. Read critically. Ignore trends.

August 30, 2008, 02:06:15 PM
Have any of you actually listened to Lamb of God in depth? I bet most of you have just heard 2 or 3 of their most recent songs. Prove me wrong.

i dont need to prove myself to you, but since youre asking, i might as well.

i had "New American Gospel" and "As The Palaces Burn" in my library up until around a year ago (all throughout high school). while the former was slightly better than the latter, they both shared the same aspects. Pantera-like groove centered music, occasionally lapsing into bursts of speed metal, with some of the worst guitar distortion i have ever heard. Songs generally followed a verse-chorus-verse-blahblahblah pattern. Every time they would come across something which resembled a decent metal riff, they would play it for maybe 10 seconds and then delve back into the same groove garbage. It was almost as if they were afraid to thrash, or to be metal. Not to mention the music is mostly one dimensional (barring some terrible experimental ideas like Blood Junkie).

a "MODERN" metal band in their entirety. You keep on listening if you want, but i prefer the sound of an air conditioner.