Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Angel Corpse

Angel Corpse
August 15, 2008, 05:41:42 PM
The early works Angel Corpse (up and till Exterminate) has to some of the most straight forward yet transcendental Death Metal ever created. The combination of primitive aggression and complex ideas makes for an unforgettable ride. I always like Order From Chaos but it seemed that the crude punk-fused music of OFC never really went that well hand in hand with Pete's lyrics and concepts. That all changed with the Corpse.

I used to hear alot of people accusing them of being a Morbid Angel clone band. In my eyes they are so much more than that. They come off as a sterile and well calculated killing machine where Morbid Angel aound the time of Heretic's release seemed like a band at war with itself. Did anyone say Robbins?

Anyway, This is a thread about Angel Corpse. How do you people feel about them?

Ps. I have been trying to browse this forum for a topic on Angel Corpse without luck. So if there already is one then please forgive me.

Re: Angel Corpse
August 17, 2008, 01:29:44 AM
Did you mean up and including Exterminate? I'd hope so as it's an excellent album. I think the band melded rudimentary death metal with black metal very well. I would compare them to Averse Sefira as they seem to be drawing upon the same influences just going in slightly different directions. Angelcorpse definitely shows a heavy Morbid Angel influence and is more rooted in death metal compared to Averse Sefira.

Pete Helmkamp writes excellent lyrics as well. The poetic language riddled with religious metaphors, grotesque anatomical descriptions, allusions to feral creatures, and military imagery add well to the warlike atmosphere of the music. I've also read a few interviews with the man, and admire many points of his personal philosophy (for instance his Nietzschean Ubermensch concept he calls Homodeus).

August 17, 2008, 11:36:12 AM
Overall I think Exterminate was where they peaked. The Inorexable wasn't a bad album at all. But it wasn't as good as the album before. The new album was just a huge miss for me. That sadly didn't live up to my expectations at all. I agree with you about Pete's lyrics and concepts. Not since Cro Mags "Best Wishes" have I heard something as convincing and clear in message. It's funny that you name-drop Averse Sefira. I never came around to check them out but a friend of mine put out an album called "Tetragrammatical Astygmata" on his label. I was kinda surprised to se you compare them to Angel Corpse. I thought they where more like a proggy black metal band.

August 17, 2008, 11:39:58 AM
On a second note, I never saw Angel Corpse as a Black Metal band AT ALL. Neither do I look upon Order From Chaos as a Black Metal band. I always found Pete's Metal endeavors to come off as stricktly Death Metal.

August 17, 2008, 08:17:15 PM
On a second note, I never saw Angel Corpse as a Black Metal band AT ALL. Neither do I look upon Order From Chaos as a Black Metal band. I always found Pete's Metal endeavors to come off as stricktly Death Metal.

I always saw them as a hybrid. OFC was strictly Death Metal, but Angel Corpse always had more of a Black Metal aesthetic and melodic development.

August 18, 2008, 10:50:06 AM

I always saw them as a hybrid. OFC was strictly Death Metal, but Angel Corpse always had more of a Black Metal aesthetic and melodic development.

Melodic development? Do you mean the Morbid Angel-ish tremolo picking? That still sounds very Death Metal to me. Not that it's important anyway.

August 18, 2008, 03:35:14 PM
I have never been able to get into this band. I first started with "Hammer Of Gods", and before i realized it i was halfway through the album. I couldn't remember anything i had just heard. So i deleted it and tried "Of Lucifer and Lightning". Again, i didn't get it. The whole package just comes off as very bland. Not for me thank you.

August 19, 2008, 01:57:39 PM
I have never been able to get into this band. I first started with "Hammer Of Gods", and before i realized it i was halfway through the album. I couldn't remember anything i had just heard. So i deleted it and tried "Of Lucifer and Lightning". Again, i didn't get it. The whole package just comes off as very bland. Not for me thank you.

That would be the 2 wrong albums to start out with. Check Exterminate. Read the lyrics while you hear the music and ill promise you that you'll never forget.

September 28, 2008, 12:01:05 AM
Angel Corpse caught me with the song: When Abyss Winds Return.