Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

New Deeds of Flesh song posted

New Deeds of Flesh song posted
August 29, 2008, 10:57:24 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2332650

Seems like Deeds of Flesh is hopping on the spazzcore bandwagon...

Re: New Deeds of Flesh song posted
August 30, 2008, 02:18:59 AM
I heard this yesterday and was very disappointed. It seems to display little more than the currently trendy habit of combining a riffing style that serves a largely percussive function a la Suffocation and a Malmsteen-like sensibility with respect to instrumental wankery, with the result being total boredom, failure, and vacuity. Basically it's everything that's wrong with modern technical death metal.

Septicemia

August 30, 2008, 12:44:43 PM
I believe they lost original guitarist-songwriter after Crown of Souls, maybe because he sensed this new "direction". Unfortunate that they were overcome by a trend, but I don't sense that they've lost ALL of their composing know-how because this sounds loads better than all the other bands in this genre - Spawn of Possession, Disavowed, Decrepit Birth...(less uselessly spontaneous, more seemingly purposeful recursion of themes).

August 30, 2008, 02:11:09 PM
I was digging the first 30 seconds of riffs.

This seems to have lost the embedded momentum that previous Deeds of Flesh releases had, including Crown of Souls. As far as I can tell, the inclusion of "new school" elements like the guitar lead and start-stop Meshugah break downs is to blame.

However, this band has been pushing towards a more cohesive ideological framework with the last 4 albums, and I feel that this is a step in that same direction (album title: Of What's To Come). As far as subject matter goes, this does a hell of a lot better than screaming about raping and killing a woman on an album with a black metal cover (Path of the Weakening). This band has always been conceptually confused, but that was improving with the last albums. Here it seems they've completed the conceptual improvement, while taking a giant step backward in songwriting.

Erik Lindmark, the main guitarist from the beginning, is still in the band, as is the main drummer. The original bassist did leave, but I don't know to what extent he influenced the band's direction.

September 01, 2008, 12:03:50 AM
Technical death metal, and to a degree, death metal in general, has become a tired genre.

Too much effort towards br00tality, and not towards musicianship.

September 01, 2008, 04:11:14 AM
I think what you mean is:

too much emphasis on brutality and musicianship--i.e, "technicality"

Compositional skill and artistic direction are what most bands are lacking.

And that's because you can't succeed in those two areas simply by practicing scales, sweep-picking, shredding, blast-beating, etc. for 8 hours a day; those two talents require a deft mind, not deft hands.

September 01, 2008, 12:42:32 PM

And that's because you can't succeed in those two areas simply by practicing scales, sweep-picking, shredding, blast-beating, etc. for 8 hours a day; those two talents require a deft mind, not deft hands.

The two are invariably linked. You will not find a great compositional mind that neglects mastery of both their instrument and fundamental materials. Deft minds of course practice all of the things you mentioned, many upwards of 8 hours a day, because they realize that "compositional skill" and "artistic direction" take deft hands AND a deft mind.

September 01, 2008, 11:45:08 PM
I'm not so sure it takes both, especially with regards to metal music.

There are plenty of death and black metal bands who had, at best, a basic command of their instruments. Yet, in spite of those technical limitations, they still managed to create great music because they had a keen sense of how to arrange what little they could play.

Burzum, Darkthrone, Massacra, Sepultura, Slayer, Obituary, et al. come to mind as great examples of bands with superior songwriting ability that is unhindered by its limited technical ability.

Even outside of metal music, I'm sure that there are plenty of professional, classical composers who would have a good deal of trouble attempting to play the music that they write.

September 03, 2008, 02:15:02 AM
A good example of writing music beyond one's technical abilities would be Absurd's pre-Werwolfthron work.  The melodies are beautiful, the only hindrance is the technical incompetence, one imagines them hardly able to finger the chords properly or keep in time  (for a direct example, "Requiem" the one recorded in prison).  The point is though that they were clearly working on some projection of the music that was inside their minds, and the result was that although they were hardly able to play it, the melodies are visible, simply in a sputtering signal hampered by inept instrumental training.  To really listen to music, one has to disregard technical skill, disregard production, disregard everything except the music.  Obviously, the non-critical elements can be beneficial to better expressing the music's ideal form, but it's not necessary.  In fact, even disregard the instruments.  To quote Joseph Haydn "If you want to know whether a melody is really beautiful, sing it without accompaniment".  If a melody does not sound beautiful on the human voice, why would the instrument change anything?  If the melody itself is the most important part, one's ability to play it is a good thing, but playing a boring melody well is worse than playing a beautiful melody poorly.

September 03, 2008, 02:43:41 AM
I'm not so sure it takes both, especially with regards to metal music.

There are plenty of death and black metal bands who had, at best, a basic command of their instruments. Yet, in spite of those technical limitations, they still managed to create great music because they had a keen sense of how to arrange what little they could play.

Burzum, Darkthrone, Massacra, Sepultura, Slayer, Obituary, et al. come to mind as great examples of bands with superior songwriting ability that is unhindered by its limited technical ability.

Even outside of metal music, I'm sure that there are plenty of professional, classical composers who would have a good deal of trouble attempting to play the music that they write.

Indeed, this is more the rule than the exception with regard to "extreme" metal. Virtually all the "classic" influential bands, Hellhammer, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator,  Bathory, Venom, VioVod(only Piggy had any command of his instrument by their own recollection), and any number of others had at best limited skills in the beginning, at least on the part of most, if not all, band-members.   

October 27, 2008, 01:23:32 AM