Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sepultura?

Sepultura?
October 21, 2004, 09:48:41 PM
I have Beneath the Remains and I really like it, but I'm afraid to buy their newer stuff because I know they became shitty nu-metal at some point. Did they release any other albums with a similar speed/death metal sound?

Re: Sepultura?
October 21, 2004, 10:06:01 PM
Sepultura is my cross over band.  I owe them very much for influencing me when I was younger and just getting into metal.  It's because of them that I started to listen to metal of all different sorts I never did before, death, black etc.  They also made me see metal as being more serious rather than just a beer drinking fest for Priest and Maiden fans who want a good chorus to wail to (don't get me wrong that's cool from time to time but it gets old fast.  Anyway here are the other Sepultura albums you'd most likely enjoy, they are in order from most recommended to least:

1. Arise (the last speed/death album from them and their best in my opinion)

2. Morbid Visions (this album helped to kick start death metal and it sounds like it can be black metal too in my opinion.  It's raw and sloppy and reuses a lot of Venom and Celtic Frost riffs but it's got passion from these Brazilians when they were just teens)

3. Schizophrenia (released just after Morbid Visions and it's got a little more polish and thrashyness.  It's just a step away from that trademark sound they developed on Beneath and Arise)

4. Chaos A.D. (this started their shift out of speed death.  It was released after Arise and it's a setback but I still recommend it.  It's probably the newest of their albums I'd recommend.)

After Chaos A.D. they heard stuff from the guys from Korn and developed a more nu-metal/tribal sound on Roots then Max left the band to form Soulfly and the band finished off the transformation and turned from what once made them great.  The albums after that don't really sound nu-metal but they aren't really worth a listen besides the fact.  Sepultura is over in my opinion as they truly lack the passion they once had.  

October 21, 2004, 11:12:37 PM
I have to give credit for SEPULTURA, specifically "Chaos A.D." for aiding me in finding more extreme metal as well, but to recommend that album to someone in the original poster's position seems like a mistake to me.  It seems like that has been partially aknowledged already.  "Arise," while polished, "mature" and wholly "there," failed to achieve what the prior discography had accomplished IMO.  

Everything released before "Beneath the Remains" is a safe bet.  Phantasm's "Schizophrenia"/"Morbid Visions" remarks are very accurate; these albums are most likely exactly what you are seeking.

October 22, 2004, 12:10:08 AM
I have to give credit for SEPULTURA, specifically "Chaos A.D." for aiding me in finding more extreme metal as well, but to recommend that album to someone in the original poster's position seems like a mistake to me.  It seems like that has been partially aknowledged already.  "Arise," while polished, "mature" and wholly "there," failed to achieve what the prior discography had accomplished IMO.  

Everything released before "Beneath the Remains" is a safe bet.  Phantasm's "Schizophrenia"/"Morbid Visions" remarks are very accurate; these albums are most likely exactly what you are seeking.

Yeah I probably should have made it clearer that Chaos A.D. is not a speed metal album at all, which seems to be what Omni wants.  I felt compelled to put it down because it was the album that really introduced me to them.  I would say that the album is interesting for a listen or two but it's not a speed/death album so if that's all you are looking for  then go with every album beneath that one and you should be fine.  I do disagree a bit with the comments about Arise, but I can respect that position and it does bear a bit of truth.  Anything before Beneath and you can't go wrong, that I totally agree with.

October 22, 2004, 02:50:04 PM
If you like Sepultura you should also like Sodom.  "In The Sign Of Evil" and "Obsessed By Cruelty" are recommended if you like "Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation" by Sepultura and "Persecution Mania" and "Agent Orange" if you prefer "Beneath The Remains" and "Arise".  All are great albums though and are worthwhile checking out.

Also, DO NOT MISS Massacra! This great French band took the speed/death metal formations of the aforementioned bands to their logical extremes, and made some of the best music to ever be a part of the Death Metal genre. Their works are rather hard to find, but well worth it.

It is interesting to note that many hold "Chaos AD" to be their passport into the better side of the metal genre. This is possibly because mainstream critics for some reason drool over this album, and overrate it quite much. It is similar to the mainstream metal of the time (id est, Pantera) and is termed somewhat "progressive" by incorporating other musical genres, but consequently it loses the focus and quality of the earlier works.

Annihilaytorr

October 22, 2004, 03:14:35 PM
To simplify - All Sepultura albums from the 80s are classics and nothing from the 90s is very good.  They had started to lose focus at Arise.

October 22, 2004, 04:34:35 PM
Bestial Devastation is their best work.

October 22, 2004, 05:13:29 PM
Isn't it funny how much the band members resembled Sarcafago in their earliest days?

October 22, 2004, 05:16:19 PM
I swear I wrote a lower case "a" where that asterisk now resides...in any event, it's humorous...

October 22, 2004, 05:22:54 PM
Isn't it funny how much the band members resembled Sarcaf*go in their earliest days?

Yeah there were some very similar aesthetics going on there.  I don't even think either band had heard of the other during the time though.  I guess it makes sense that they were aesthetically similar though because they shared a lot of the same influences and such.  From what I've read the only other metal band Sepultura knew of at the time was Overdose.  

October 22, 2004, 06:16:17 PM

Yeah there were some very similar aesthetics going on there.  I don't even think either band had heard of the other during the time though.  I guess it makes sense that they were aesthetically similar though because they shared a lot of the same influences and such.  From what I've read the only other metal band Sepultura knew of at the time was Overdose.  

Wagner "Antichrist" of SARCO F A G O was in the first line-up of SEPULTURA, so that explains the similarity.  I think he formed SARCO F A G O shortly after leaving them.

October 23, 2004, 07:29:36 AM
Sarcófago, Bathory, Sodom, Possessed and early Sepultura all sound very brotherly in the way of a thrash derived black/death prototype. I find such music interesting on an evolutionary level (ideology, aesthetics) as present in later styles, yet similarly unevolved due to image-centric scene hogs and blastbeat technology.

sounds familiar

October 25, 2004, 07:02:44 PM
Sepultura did a great job until Beneath the Remains, after that they became so stupid nu-metal even the rappers liked it.
So go straight to their beginning and forget about new stuff.

November 02, 2004, 05:01:43 PM
They did in fact become mallcore later. You already have their best album but Schizophrenia and Bestial Devastation/Morbid Visions are also excellent. Arise is worth your money as well if you like the previous three albums.
Everything else is just wiggerfied jumpdafukkup mallcore.

November 10, 2004, 09:01:27 PM
Hello all...I am obviously new here.My goal is to hopefully find some dark metal/horror movie/morbid souls here. I love black metal/death metal and other forms of darkness. Especially in music.....some of my faves are dark throne,mayhem,emperor,burzum (which by the way I'm hoping someone here can help me find again on cd/vinyl cause my ex took all my shit) and tons of other music like Grateful Dead and other things for there dark pyschdelia.....I'm also a musician..who loves making art in music...