Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

SMN Forum Woes

SMN Forum Woes
September 04, 2008, 05:31:33 AM
I think I just got banned for telling a bunch of morons that Converge was crap music.....

Real bang-up site they have there.

I tried discussing LaVeyan Satanism on there, and they would just rather speak of titties and such instead of intellectual things of that nature....

Kinda sad how the "br00tal" death metal community is turning out, eh?

Re: SMN Forum Woes
September 04, 2008, 06:41:00 AM
I guess what I also mean to say is it's nice to see such intelligent individuals on this particular board that see metal as true "art" and not just a bunch of noise/slam death metal slobbering idiots getting together "drankin beer" and living a pretty much empty and meaningless existence.

September 04, 2008, 07:05:52 PM
see metal as "art" and not just a bunch of noise/slam death metal slobbering idiots getting together "drankin beer" and living a pretty much empty and meaningless existence.

Metal should be art, not "entertainment," and it's hard to find a more condescending word than the latter.

That was the attitude of metal during its greatest periods: an intense striving for becoming part of the cultural canon of those who recognize modern society for what it is.

Striving, although not easy, sure produces good results.

Beer/wank/empty does not.

September 05, 2008, 08:32:46 PM
I agree, I signed up a few days ago, and started reading what people had to say here, and its what Ive been looking for. The smnnews forums kinda suck but theyre ok at times. I can go on about why I dont like it over there, but whats the point. Im just glad I found a more intellectual place to talk about music

13X

September 05, 2008, 09:33:25 PM
I guess what I also mean to say is it's nice to see such intelligent individuals on this particular board that see metal as true "art" and not just a bunch of noise/slam death metal slobbering idiots getting together "drankin beer" and living a pretty much empty and meaningless existence.

Everyone leads a meaningless existence. I thought we were nihilists here?

September 05, 2008, 10:11:21 PM

Everyone leads a meaningless existence. I thought we were nihilists here?

That's more of a fatalist sentiment. I've gathered that Prozakian Nihilism includes a step of reconnection with more realistic, constructive goals after the disconnection from meaningless and unfruitful goals (i.e. the goals of mainstream consumers).

13X

September 06, 2008, 12:11:19 AM
That's more of a fatalist sentiment. I've gathered that Prozakian Nihilism includes a step of reconnection with more realistic, constructive goals after the disconnection from meaningless and unfruitful goals (i.e. the goals of mainstream consumers).

"These values suck, y'all, try these ones!" ≠ nihilism. Closer to Occam's razor.

Nonbelief in inherent meaning isn't a fatalist sentiment. I just don't think that we're here for a reason. I think that the truth is too boring to accept, so we make up shit about cosmic Jewish zombies who were their own fathers and... THE FUCK IS THIS?!!?! SHIT!!!!!!!

September 06, 2008, 02:35:05 AM
Nonbelief in inherent meaning isn't a fatalist sentiment. I just don't think that we're here for a reason. I think that the truth is too boring to accept, so we make up shit about cosmic Jewish zombies who were their own fathers and... THE FUCK IS THIS?!!?! SHIT!!!!!!!

Haha, that image is amusing.  It is, however, one way of going about what we're trying to do: express universal truths without tying ourselves down to the nonsense by making sure people can understand/ digest them.  I always enjoy religious/ spiritual images like that even if I don't completely understand the symbolism.  Somehow it seems like it helps me connect on a deeper level.

Anyway, it seems like what we have on ANUS/ this forum is a reaction to what is traditionally considered nihilism.  We've we've accepted nihilism's principles as truth, we've overcome it's shortcomings, and now we must ask ourselves:
What do we do in the wake of such a reality?

September 06, 2008, 03:12:28 AM
"These values suck, y'all, try these ones!" ≠ nihilism.

Another one of these, who hasn't read the articles on the site.

Nihilism denies inherent value. Nihilism however is a belief -- in nothingness. We deny inherent value, but accept that the world bestows onto us values that are apparent to those willing to think in terms of reality, not human projections.

What you want is fatalism.

September 06, 2008, 10:17:13 PM
Nihilism denies inherent value. Nihilism however is a belief -- in nothingness. We deny inherent value, but accept that the world bestows onto us values that are apparent to those willing to think in terms of reality, not human projections.

What you want is fatalism.

What is it for the world to bestow onto us values?

13X

September 07, 2008, 03:54:28 AM
Another one of these, who hasn't read the articles on the site.

I have read a few.

this like readin' wittgenstein upside down ... i don't understand what you be tryin' to convey ...

apples do not exist

besides apples that come from trees

IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING OR AM I SORELY MISTAKEN?

apples = WOrst thing in the WORLD ... AND SMN FORUM TOO converge suck.

nigga drop acid - red and blue scarves suddenly sound the same; a new purposeful existence ??

September 07, 2008, 07:52:46 PM
What ASBO means is that even so the universe lacks empirical values men can still choose values that are positive to their strength of character. So while the hedonist may become fat, suffer from many STD's and have an extremely questionable character the realist will attempt to find meaning for ones self regardless of whether the universe provides such meaning or not.

September 08, 2008, 07:23:30 PM
Any forum of people believing  that theym without a doubt, have the universal truth are nothing but pseudo IMO.

September 08, 2008, 07:53:49 PM
Any forum of people believing  that theym without a doubt, have the universal truth are nothing but pseudo IMO.

Whoa, nigga. You're confusing truth with "universal truth."

Your statement translates to: anyone who believes in truth is my enemy.

If you observe life, it's obvious what is valuable in life: survival, excellence, struggle.

We don't need moral values. We need realistic ones.

Nihilism is a rejection of morality, commerce, etc. and other surrogate values. We prefer simply... reality.

13X

September 08, 2008, 08:57:26 PM
Quote from: More Celt Than Sassenach
What ASBO means is that even so the universe lacks empirical values men can still choose values that are positive to their strength of character. So while the hedonist may become fat, suffer from many STD's and have an extremely questionable character the realist will attempt to find meaning for ones self regardless of whether the universe provides such meaning or not.

what's wrong with being fat and suffering from STDs, what if the realist finds that his meaning is to fuck BITCHES and eat PASTRIES, is the man of virtue some how SUPERIOR to the HEROIN ADDICT? if so, this dude wants to know WHY he is superior, because, dawg, i just ain't seein' it!