Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal band names.

Metal band names.
September 16, 2005, 06:07:54 AM
I've noticed that there are very few metal bands (any?) with names that refer to the members as an object, as is so common in performance based music. (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones). The most recognizably metal band name seem to be based on two things that traditionally wouldn't go together (Black Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Judas Priest). There do not seem to be as many black metal bands that follow this tradition. Why might this be?

Nouns that describe acts, concepts, or events are common (Deicide, Pestilence, Burzum, Demoncy, Suffocation) Verbs or adjectives are common (Dismember, Possessed, Enslaved). Place-names real or fictional are as common as in other music (Gorgoroth, Hades, Treblinka,). The names of any mythological or historic figures that ooze darkness are of course popular (Beherit, Antaeus, Adramelech, Bathory). Objects are pretty common (Darkthrone, Thorns, Pentagram).

One of the most common types of names is the descriptive singular noun (Slayer, Terrorizer, Emperor, Infester, Atheist). The band names describe not the members doing or being something, but some other, unspecified person whom the band is presumably celebrating. This seems to be one of the most typically "metal", along with the whole "inversion" thing I first mentioned. Anyone have any idea why this might be or anything to add?

Re: Metal band names.
September 16, 2005, 01:27:04 PM
Any band that pays any mind to conceptual aesthetic will select a band name that fits the music and image. Unless you are on Relapse, calling your death metal band "The White Stripes" would not fit.  

Re: Metal band names.
September 23, 2005, 04:40:51 AM
over all i chose the band name opium because it sounded cool and it fits in with our band style, i never realised that bands can find a name that way
My entire life has sucked