Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn

Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn
September 18, 2005, 04:03:05 PM
Anyone hear what this guy did on guitar when he was a teenager? This is intense stuff. It's often very Death-y in regard to the backing tracks. It's too bad this guy ended up with ALS; he would have been top in the guitar world today.
I'm still blown away that he did this at age eighteen. Not to mention how he blew Marty Friedman off the cd on the Cacaphony releases.
I've heard many call this dud an Yngwie wanna be, but Becker was just Classical in his own, personal way.
Just my opinion, but this is a must have cd

Re: Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn
September 18, 2005, 04:49:47 PM
The ability to play, but with nothing to say.  (Rhyming is fun.)

September 18, 2005, 07:32:05 PM
The ability to play, but with nothing to say.  (Rhyming is fun.)

OTAY!

Sooo...humor me a bit: whom exactly has the ability to play with "something to say",grasshopper?

September 19, 2005, 04:03:52 PM
okay

robert fripp
trey azagthoth
kazuhito yamashita
andres segovia

shred is 95% retardation, 5% trivial amusement if you're a musician yourself.

September 21, 2005, 01:32:49 AM
Andres Segovia, even dead, makes every other guitarist look like an amateur.

September 21, 2005, 01:40:10 PM
okay

robert fripp
trey azagthoth
kazuhito yamashita
andres segovia

shred is 95% retardation, 5% trivial amusement if you're a musician yourself.

I will apologize in advance for what amounts to little more than my opinion, but only Segovia counts in your list...maybe a tiny bit of Robert Fripp. To compare the excessively distorted Azagtoth to Becker is ridiculous.
Trey is a very good guitar player (though I can't say he's even the best in his genre...certainly Schuldiner and Alex Skolnick did what Trey's done with far more melody and imagination).
Becker has it all over in terms of memorable songwriting, enduring melodicism, dexterity,tone. Then there are players like Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore and Michael Schenker whose overall output makes Trey and Fripp look pretty monotonous. Are they "no feeling" shred artists?
Finally, please wxplain how ANY musician can play with no feeling (talk about laughable!).

September 21, 2005, 11:23:38 PM

I will apologize in advance for what amounts to little more than my opinion, but only Segovia counts in your list...maybe a tiny bit of Robert Fripp. To compare the excessively distorted Azagtoth to Becker is ridiculous.
Trey is a very good guitar player (though I can't say he's even the best in his genre...certainly Schuldiner and Alex Skolnick did what Trey's done with far more melody and imagination).

You have got to be kidding.  Schuldinder is the one of the most overrated guitar players of all time, and Skilnick has embraced one of the most worthless types of music ever (jazz.)

Those two don't come even close to Trey.

September 22, 2005, 10:39:29 AM
Jason Becker better than Robert Fripp?

::)

What the hell were you thinking when you typed that?

September 22, 2005, 01:30:54 PM
Jason Becker better than Robert Fripp?

::)

What the hell were you thinking when you typed that?

Answer:

"Whom is more complex melodically, represents his passion more understandably, and is overall more dexterous?"
In some cases, like Iommi and Blackmore, it doesn't matter as much how dextrous they were. They had an individual style, and I would like to be fair and add that Fripp certainly had a distinctive style his own. Yet Fripp fought to be progressive, and compared to the other guitarists whom were reaching for a similarly progressive sound and playing mode (Ritchie Blackmore, with Schenker and Roth close behind) Fripp falls out of their league. His band was mostly forgettable drivel, and rarely seemed to come up with anything that could fit the definition "Rock". Compare that to Deep Purple, Blackmore's Rainbow, or the Scorpions. There is no comparison.

September 22, 2005, 01:58:09 PM
You know you're missing the point when:

You think Robert Fripp is supposed to "rock"

September 22, 2005, 02:32:18 PM
You know you're missing the point when:

You think Robert Fripp is supposed to "rock"

Honestly, you threw me with such an intelligent comeback. I guess I underestimate this board sometimes, especially after reading how one of the most recent topics on Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement ("failin") was utilizing an fmp666.com link to back up his argument.
You have an excellent point, and i feel foolish. I guess I should revise what I wrote to mean that I would rather hear Progreesive music which Rocks, rather than ElP types of stuff. Don't take that as an insult, Irecognize that both ElP and Fripp's band are terrific musicians.  I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

September 22, 2005, 11:58:42 PM
You know you don't have a valid argument when:

You close with "I guess it's just not my cup of tea."

But don't get me wrong; your contention that Jason Becker is some kind of musical genius for using a handful of techniques as an end has saved me a lot of time in being sure to ignore your posts.

"Finally, please wxplain how ANY musician can play with no feeling (talk about laughable!)."

More to the point: "Feeling" - a word that should probably be outlawed from musical discussions via the internet - is simply a byproduct of creating purposeful music.  If the final product (music, in this case) serves no purpose, then its parts and byproducts are the literary equivalent of a popup book.

October 03, 2005, 07:21:54 AM
Jason Becker was a good shredder, but nothing like the greatest musical genius of our time.

Comparing him with someone like Robert Fripp is utterly pointless.

October 11, 2005, 10:04:54 AM
Well, this topic looked promising at one point.

Au fond pour moi: Robert Fripp I find excruciatingly boring. Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Jason Becker I find consistently interesting and invigorating.  That's just me. I got even more bored  three replies after this topic,finding a bunch of semi-coherent people in love with their own opinions making sure to stress the importance of their completely subjective ruminations.
If you like something and wish to write about it, you come to a forum. I guess the main objective is to see how others think about subjects. But when it degenerates into an heated opinion fest, there are too many more fulfilling things to do with my life. For all those whom took the time to stay a little open and interesting, I sincerely thank you.
For the others, See ya when I'm really bored again.

October 16, 2005, 05:01:24 PM
Well, this topic looked promising at one point.

Au fond pour moi: Robert Fripp I find excruciatingly boring.

Which Fripp's works do you know exactly,  please?