Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn

Re: Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn
October 24, 2005, 04:57:47 PM
Okay, now I DO feel a bit uninformed/ignorant. I grew up hearing my parents play ALL the King Crimson albums. What am I missing? Thanks for any enlightening suggestions (no sarcasm intended).

October 24, 2005, 05:20:17 PM
By the way, Becker is a fantastic guitar player, most probably anyone that impugns him has experienced failure as a guitar player him or herself. I can't say he's as good as some of the other neo-classical players like Joe Stump or Malmsteen, but very few men ARE.
The ones whom are most dismissive of technically advanced guitar players are the ones whom are most transparent in their agenda.
Succinctly put: jealousy.

euronymous

October 30, 2005, 07:03:06 AM
I grew up hearing my parents play ALL the King Crimson albums. What am I missing? Thanks for any enlightening suggestions (no sarcasm intended).

May be the problem is your paents played them while you were growing up?

In my case  it was myself who bought all the LP's up to Discipline and I can assure you're missing something. Even if you find the music of King Crimson to be old and boring you should admit Fripp is a monster playing guitar. I've seen K.C. live and it's impressive to see him playing. Just pick any KC DVD and take a look, considering you're not impressed through your ears.

October 30, 2005, 11:44:09 AM

May be the problem is your paents played them while you were growing up?

In my case  it was myself who bought all the LP's up to Discipline and I can assure you're missing something. Even if you find the music of King Crimson to be old and boring you should admit Fripp is a monster playing guitar. I've seen K.C. live and it's impressive to see him playing. Just pick any KC DVD and take a look, considering you're not impressed through your ears.

Your post is very mature, and helps me forget about the kiddie attitudes that tend to proliferate on Metal forums in general. Thank you.
Your post alos made me think, and I am really grateful for that.
It wasn't my parents (t hey'r the ones that turned me WAY off of Santana...a perspective I later found entirely valid later in life) . The people that  used to play KC around me in college were mainly
disgusting, hippie-dippie-hug-a-tree-and-suck-off-your-nearest-negro-types.
I ended up turned off to the idea of checking Fripp out
in any way objectively, I have found the way to open my mind more and give him another try. It's a bit much to ask once again for your opinion, as you have already helped me a great deal, but could you
reccomend a sopecific video of Fripp that is your own favorite (i.e., showcases the lead guitar playing in particular?).
Again, your patience, help,and
maturity is greatly appreciated. It can be rare to experience such on this type of forum. Or perhaps I am still experiencng Full Moon Productions kiddie fallout.

euronymous

October 30, 2005, 05:56:29 PM

Your post is very mature, and helps me forget about the kiddie attitudes that tend to proliferate on Metal forums in general. Thank you.
Your post alos made me think, and I am really grateful for that.
It wasn't my parents (t hey'r the ones that turned me WAY off of Santana...a perspective I later found entirely valid later in life) . The people that  used to play KC around me in college were mainly
 disgusting, hippie-dippie-hug-a-tree-and-suck-off-your-nearest-negro-types.
 I ended up turned off to the idea of checking Fripp out
in any way objectively, I have found the way to open my mind more and give him another try. It's a bit much to ask once again for your opinion, as you have already helped me a great deal, but could you
reccomend a sopecific video of Fripp that is your own favorite (i.e., showcases the lead guitar playing in particular?).
Again, your patience, help,and
maturity is greatly appreciated. It can be rare to experience such on this type of forum. Or perhaps I am still experiencng Full Moon Productions kiddie fallout.

Very pleased to help you so much. Couldn't imagine that a single advice about a great guitar player would give you such an experience. Anything you want, please don't doubt it and pm me.

November 05, 2005, 03:02:18 PM
To really witness Fripp's mastery of the guitar, you need to listen to his solo work, or his work with Eno. It's not about shredding, (although if he wanted to, he could shred with the best), it's beautiful melodies,adept compositions and an imagination that few guitarplayers are capable of.

November 06, 2005, 01:54:27 AM
Anyone hear what this guy did on guitar when he was a teenager? This is intense stuff. It's often very Death-y in regard to the backing tracks. It's too bad this guy ended up with ALS; he would have been top in the guitar world today.
I'm still blown away that he did this at age eighteen. Not to mention how he blew Marty Friedman off the cd on the Cacaphony releases.
I've heard many call this dud an Yngwie wanna be, but Becker was just Classical in his own, personal way.
Just my opinion, but this is a must have cd

a must-have?  ill have to hear it first then ill get it.