Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

It's un-metal to only criticize.

Re: It's un-metal to only criticize.
October 04, 2008, 09:43:23 PM
Have you people not ever opened up a history book!?! America has never been more godless than today. There was almost no separation of church and state before. In many areas the church was the state! The only difference is that there is now more open discussion over the separation of church and state and that's only true because there was no discussion over it before.

He's right.  America was founded because of religion.  In fact, a lot of the colonies (Rhode Island here, for example) were founded in order to practice religion in a certain way.  They did not want a government devoid of religion, they wanted a government that agreed with their religious views.  It seems very silly to try and separate church and state at all, and our nation was not founded with the intent of doing so.  How can you be governed by people you do not agree with?

I think this serves only to further illustrate the problem of people forcing their opinion on others.  I would guess that the removal of "God" from politics has lead to more problems than it has solved.  Take away the central point of your beliefs in favor of being politically correct and appealing to everyone, and you're left with a bunch of jumbled ideas with no apparent direction.  Maybe we don't all agree with the Christian perspective, but having a "God" as a mental construct was the entire point in founding America.  Now that the concepts have been completely abstracted, there is no reason for our country to exist.

October 05, 2008, 01:58:20 AM
Really? When was this exactly? Please, don't parrot all the overblown hype about Bush and all this alleged influence of the "religious right." Even the America I grew up in during the 1970's and 80's wore its religion on its sleeve and those lines you reference weren't so much "blurred" as often altogether non-existent. The idea that there is MORE religious influence in the public-sphere today as opposed to what "used to be" is just patently false.

Sadly,  America is still a land that in many ways - particularly in certain areas - is hopelessly trapped in the dark ages with regard to stubbornly clinging to that hoary, malignant Semtic mysticism so many know and love. But let's look at the past with a clear eye. Again, as mentioned in several posts above, it is the quasi-christian morality of the "progressives" of today with their loathsome egalitarianism, hyper-tolerance and reconstituted secularized slave-morality that are every bit the threat as any apparent church-state violation ever was. Or to sum up...they both suck enormously. 

im not parroting anything, theres no need to get snappy.

i would say that religion and state started getting more blurry in the 1950s with the whole commie scare. granted, i never said they were completely separate. the USA's founders were all religious men. but with the end of WWII and the perceived "Soviet Threat", there were so many changes which merged church and state (like the inclusion of Under God in the Pledge of Allegiance). im saying that compared to times before, the 1950s on has been a period of heightened religious propaganda.

i agree with your second statement, the USA is in a slump, and has been for some time. change is needed....even though thats been said dozens of times before, it is still true.

anyone up for a little firebombing?

Certainly didn't intend to get "snappy"(I think you mean snippy) with you. I just bristle when I hear this rather tired mantra of how Bush and the "religious right" have taken America back to the Victorian era in terms of church/state relations, etc. Now, Bush et al, may wish to do such things, but they certainly have not.
As for the Commie scare and an increased religiosity in the public sphere I do not disagree - but these peaks and valleys of a "spiritual" nature are common to US history from the outset. Remember also, while adding the God reference to "the pledge" is notable in the 50's, prior to that leading the classroom in openly Christian Prayeer was standard operating procedure in American schools - so that pledge addition wasn't exactly a radical move. 

October 07, 2008, 05:21:33 AM
Living outside of the American continent I often look at the united states and just wonder why it seems more religiously backward from the rest of the western world. I often notice how the citizens of the U.S.A almost hold the founding fathers as some pseudo-saints when in fact America as it is today seems to go against what they were which was part of the moral and political liberalization of the enlightenment. It seems like the only western country where empirical evidence is in a struggle against religion for mainstream acceptance outside of the scientific community. While I certainly cannot say if the U.S.A is becoming more or less religiously conservative I can say that America appears to have a real problem with religious bigotry in general society.

October 08, 2008, 06:05:28 PM
It seems like the only western country where empirical evidence is in a struggle against religion for mainstream acceptance outside of the scientific community. While I certainly cannot say if the U.S.A is becoming more or less religiously conservative I can say that America appears to have a real problem with religious bigotry in general society.

You are describing an official state religion that has resulted from Christianity progressing through its Reformation, into Enlightenment, into secular humanism and the existing lifecycle phase spreading like AIDS across the planet called postmodern Americanism. Trendy nu metal is a tiny side effect of the overall decay popularly called progress.

October 09, 2008, 11:44:48 AM
While I certainly cannot say if the U.S.A is becoming more or less religiously conservative I can say that America appears to have a real problem with religious bigotry in general society.
That's because America's thirst for wealth is insatiable. Jesus' dad, Allah, Yahweh, HaMeforash  don;t hold a candle to the power of MONEY.

October 10, 2008, 12:07:25 AM
That's because America's thirst for wealth is insatiable. Jesus' dad, Allah, Yahweh, HaMeforash  don;t hold a candle to the power of MONEY.

Well after watching all those American christian TV shows it seems that they believe God rewards financial devotion and donation to specific organizations with financial gain. When has the bible ever preached that one must be rewarded in this life?

October 10, 2008, 01:22:47 AM

Well after watching all those American christian TV shows it seems that they believe God rewards financial devotion and donation to specific organizations with financial gain. When has the bible ever preached that one must be rewarded in this life?

I believe the Old Testament actually referred to gaining rewards in the current life somewhat.

October 10, 2008, 04:32:39 AM
I wonder how many people have read Max Weber's "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism". It basically says that puritan ethics of hard work and enterprise mixed with western rationalism produced the advent of Capitalism. I don;t know how relevant that is in today's America, but to put it simply, money signifies materialism whereas religion points towards the other-world, the immaterial. I don't know how people can mix those two up without being corrupted.

October 10, 2008, 05:17:51 AM
The world around me is ugly, so Iet's drink lots of beer and bang our heads to loud, ugly music.

Everyone is looking for an excuse to give up.

Inside the self, all is safe (narcissism/solipsism)

Challenging yourself with the world... that's not safe.

So they make up excuses, and sit around smoking bowls, playing video games, drinking beer, listening to Necrophagist and doing other nonchallenging things.

This is the essence of liberalism: I don't want to leave myself, so I'm a failure, so it must be someone else's fault, so they owe me what they have. Liberalism is not a political view. It's a social fashion and mental dysfunction.

It's also the essence of all the loser behavior we see in metal.

October 10, 2008, 10:12:28 PM
There can be many reasons for all this loudness and ugliness, but I must say that as a long time reader of ANUS reviews it seems to be perfectly consistent and logical how the site promoted death and black metal in the 90's and how today it is rather negative and even hostile to nowadays metal.

The site always favored logic over things such as personal opinion, which makes it closer to a scientific/research oriented site. It's about observation, not promotion.

October 14, 2008, 11:44:42 PM
You know, the more I think about it, I don't know that only criticizing is necessarily a bad thing.  I suppose it depends on what you mean by criticizing and what, exactly, is being "criticized."  Let's take Nietzsche.  Nietzsche was a destroyer and the most scathing critic of all time.  In fact, he called himself the "annihilator par excellence."  Nietzsche criticized the shit out of Christianity, among other things, and essentially destroyed it.  Should he have held his tongue because he had nothing to replace it with?  I say no.  What he did was monumental enough and worth his time and energy.  It would be too much to ask of one man that he also come up with something to fill the void now left.  Don't get me wrong, it would be IDEAL and preferrable to destroy and then create something to fill in the void.  But it would have been worse had Nietzsche not said anything at all.  Evolution moves slowly, philosophers build off of each other.  Nietzsche destroyed so that someone after him will be able to create.

Cigno

October 15, 2008, 12:03:00 AM
What about Master Morality? It surprises me how best metal clearly seems aristocratic.

Metalheads should learn how to articulate to make the genre a communication and a process. Metal should also build from metal (heavy motivations), but Metal got un-metal.

October 15, 2008, 01:50:04 PM
he had nothing to replace it with

What about Zarathustra? Aren't he show different ways there?

October 15, 2008, 03:19:19 PM
I suppose I'm generalizing Nietzsche to some extent.  But let's face it:  he was a "destroyer" much more than he was a "creator."  The point is, Nietzsche couldn't "create" untill he "destroyed," FIRST.  I would hate for some bright young man to feel guilty or unworthy about his thoughts or ideas because they "only criticize" and as a result he just holds his tongue his entire life because he hasn't figured out some grand, ultimate solution to all of the world's problems.  "Criticizing" gets the brain moving, it would be PREFERRABLE to then come up with solutions, but criticizing is preferrable to holding one's tongue/feeling unworthy/saying nothing at all.

October 15, 2008, 10:13:48 PM
the first target for criticism should always be oneself