Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

I have given up on metalhead behavior

I have given up on metalhead behavior
October 07, 2008, 10:28:55 PM
I used to post here a lot more. It's one of the last metal forums I can read.

But lately, the behavior of metalheads has turned me off. There's a tendency to be witty, defensive, narcissistic, and above all, to shit on anything anyone else recommends while talking a good game for whatever little geegaw you've found. And none of it really matters. We're not talking about the great bands here, or an active movement. We're picking through the remains, and the worst aspects of human nature have come out.

I don't enjoy conversing with people who destroy everything good in order to justify their own lifestyles of sitting on their asses except to promote their bands, their friends' bands, their friend's stupid zine, their own blog, and so on. It's disorganized and ineffective behavior, and it explains exactly why metal totally sucks of late.

Those who attempt nothing can never be defeated, and you all have confused nihilism -- a belief in nothing -- with a lack of attempting anything, and you're looking for reasons to keep sitting on your fat, self-pleased asses. Some of the stupidity I've seen here recently is too much to bear. It's the behavior I've seen in indie rock hipsters, old punkers, green activitists and other failures-at-life who want to be a really big deal.

I can continue to promote and post news items, but as the past weeks have shown, my appetite for the "conversation" is justifiably lessened. All metal forums reek of people who have nothing trying to one-up one another so they feel as if they've accomplished something in life. It's like a PhD in thumb up ass.

I think the best thing a real metalhead can do now is to escape metal, and to go on to do things that uphold the spirit of metal, if not the appearance and methods.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Re: I have given up on metalhead behavior
October 08, 2008, 03:44:39 AM
What you just said has been said a thousand times before, but I do agree, and have been feeling especially that way as of late.  The false elitism here makes me sick, not to mention the way every discussion seems to have been done a hundred times already (this one is a good example as a matter of fact).  The metal underground (this place included) is like a fatass rich guy, staying inside all day watching tv, getting more and more bloated and disgusting until it finally dies.

October 08, 2008, 05:47:18 AM
I always thought that the purpose of these forums was to discuss metal as art that describes life in a profound fashion, and I find it hard to believe that life can be profound when it lacks experience. This is exactly why my posting has been rather sparse; I am far too busy living to argue over scraps of meat with scavengers every minute of every day.

October 08, 2008, 10:28:26 AM
Take heart ASBO, the world, according to media outlets left, right and center anyway, is effectively collapsing around us. This chaos may become a breeding ground for something new, fresh, energized in Metal(musically and ideologically) - and beyond. Besides, we here can for a moment revel in a little, "we told you so" and know that we aren't all completely misguided, full-of-shit keyboard elitists and newly college-charged philosophers.   

I see the very charachteristics you described in virtually all intelligent younger people today(witty, narcissitic, and ready to ruthlessly, if arbitrarily condemn anything at a moments notice). It's a generational thing I'm afraid. I've missed your posts - it kept the old Corrupt-spirit alive here...which does seem sorely lacking of late.     

October 10, 2008, 05:19:32 AM
I see the very charachteristics you described in virtually all intelligent younger people today(witty, narcissitic, and ready to ruthlessly, if arbitrarily condemn anything at a moments notice).

I wonder if it's not a generational thing, but a "time in the civilization life-cycle" thing. Dying societies breed people ready to give up as quickly as possible. In prison, we call them "punks."

I think every generation has had this, but it's increasing. The path of least resistance is to give up, find a comfy sofa and a comfy excuse, and space out staring into eternity but not seeing.

Thanks for the kind words. I should participate in this forum more, but I don't want to be an asshole troll.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

October 11, 2008, 03:56:51 AM
I always thought that the purpose of these forums was to discuss metal as art that describes life in a profound fashion, and I find it hard to believe that life can be profound when it lacks experience. This is exactly why my posting has been rather sparse; I am far too busy living to argue over scraps of meat with scavengers every minute of every day.

That is also one of the reasons why I don't post as much on this forum as well. I think it's great that there are people here who take the time to provide their thoughts, but then I find that this forum, (and all forums in general) tend to keep people in front of their laptops and distract/take time away from doing things in the real world, which I am guilty of as well.

October 11, 2008, 05:46:31 AM

That is also one of the reasons why I don't post as much on this forum as well. I think it's great that there are people here who take the time to provide their thoughts, but then I find that this forum, (and all forums in general) tend to keep people in front of their laptops and distract/take time away from doing things in the real world, which I am guilty of as well.

Although to be fair sites like this saved me from a life of meaningless computer surfing and a general meaningless in life altogether.

October 11, 2008, 06:58:53 AM

Although to be fair sites like this saved me from a life of meaningless computer surfing and a general meaningless in life altogether.

Sure - if one successfully navigates a lot of the pedantic bullshit and sanctimony common to all (even decent)fora, there is something to be learned, to be at least considered in many a discussion. If one doesn't get at least that out of any of this, then by all means, unplug that laptop for good and go for a walk in the woods, plant a garden, plan a coup, etc. 

October 15, 2008, 08:07:38 PM

I think this site is a good idea.

I think there are intelligent people here.

I think many mistake elitism for ego-stroking. Like all human errors, the confusion of individual perspective with reality is fatal to truth.

I think many mistake "being metal" for listening uncritically, or following trends. Even here.

I think we the users need to live up to the ideology of the site and of metal.

That means:

* Realism, not liberalism.
* Epiphany, not dogma.
* Romanticism, not deconstructism.
* Holism, not individualism.

How hard can it be?

I'd also like to see people on this forum actively promoting this site and its reviews more. If you want to take over the world, you have to get out there and fight, and that's the only way you expose more smart kids to this material.
ASBO

October 17, 2008, 08:18:26 AM
Good points, ASBO. I've been away from ANUS a while myself, but it has been beacuse of a need to create a more balanced life for myself. It is a good thing, as it preserves the quality of the forum experience. The point is to live Metal and not just listen to it.