Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Seeking opinions?

Re: Seeking opinions?
November 12, 2004, 12:17:13 PM
both of Frozen shadows's releases are highly recommended.

I can't agree there. I had great expectations when « Hantises » came out but it wasn't as good as the demo (who came in a special 2CD with the « Hantises » album, good thing for those who don't have it...).

The guitar sound is not the same. I tought it was extraordinary on « Dans les bras des immortels » but now it's cleaner and boring. The vocals are sung with less intensity. The drum is still intense but, the effect it made previously as an ambient element of the music is gone. Also, there's less dynamics in the music. Of course there's some great moments but I don't recommend it as much as « Dans les bras des immortels ».

This makes « Hantises » closer to a regular metal release than some great black metal.

Annihilaytorr

November 13, 2004, 09:44:31 PM
In Battle

Abigor

Limbonic Art

November 14, 2004, 12:04:58 AM
Abigor have yet to make a truly shitty album. However, their best work lies within Verwustung, Orkblut, Nachthymmn, and Opus IV.

November 14, 2004, 05:08:55 PM
Somethings u pplz mentioned:

Frozen Shadows - Dans Les Bras Des Immortels is great, will not leave you dissapointed. Released new album, Hantises. Total crap.

Sammath - Strijd is funtastic. Catchy synth lines over high speed drum machine (more like funmachine!). Later stuff is boring.

Wyrd - Excellent. Huldrafolk and Vargtimmen 1 are great. Looking forward to hearing first album, Heathen. Vargtimmen 2 is different, but still good.

Abigor - Gay. Have yet to make anything but shitty albums. Boring, uneventful, uncreative, uninspired.

Hate Forest - Poser metal, like Drudkh. Get ready for intense boredom when you spin these posers.

Moonblood - Must listen more. Always found to be caling me back for more. However they are laughable for a variety of reasons. Maybe that's why I never really listened much.

Now, here's what I want to hear about:

Seance - Saltrubbed Eyes
Lunar Aurora

Opinions?

November 14, 2004, 06:04:29 PM
Abigor are good, I have three of their albums but I've only properly got into Nachthymnen thusfar, which is really good and builds upon early Immortal, progressing it rather than being derivative of it, athough some might be put off by the female-vocals. If you like Summoning's "Lugburz" you should like it.

November 15, 2004, 09:04:59 PM
Abigor is genius, definately not for everyone though. 'Satanized' is the only album that has let me down to a certain extent and seems sub-par when compared to their other outputs. Supreme Immortal Art is criminally underrated; one of their best but rather more complex works.

I would suggest starting at their earliest releases, and working your way to their more recent. If anywhere in the process you do not like one of their albums, I would also suggest giving up and not wasting any more time on them.

November 16, 2004, 01:44:09 AM
Vlad Tepes, Belketre..

Actually, recommend and/or post thoughts on any Black Legions bands that are worthy.

November 16, 2004, 02:10:57 AM
Vlad Tepes, Belketre..

Actually, recommend and/or post thoughts on any Black Legions bands that are worthy.

Mütiilation is the only black legions band worth your time.

November 16, 2004, 08:45:02 AM
Mutiilation's "Vampires of Black Imperial Blood" is excellent, and "Remains..." is also worth getting. Belketre are the second best FBL band, very dark and violent stuff. Vlad Tepes....meh, don't bother with them, except their split with Belketre (for the Belketre). You may also like "Feasts" by Black Murder, and some of the ambient work from other FBL bands which I'm not so familiar with is supposed to rule.

November 16, 2004, 06:09:29 PM
Well, I know about Mutiilation.

I'd say Vlad Tepe's best work lies within the split with Belketre.  And not just because Belketre is on the cd as well, but Vlad Tepes did a nice job on this one.

November 16, 2004, 07:21:05 PM
Yeah, I should've put "mainly for the Belketre", Vlad Tepes aren't bad on that split.

November 17, 2004, 03:42:47 AM
A few I was recommended a while ago, but haven't checked out yet:

Kataklysm - Sorcery
Quo Vadis - Forever
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox
Magus - Ruminations of Debauchery
Deeds of Flesh - Reduced To Ashes
Pyrexia (I heard this band is essentially very similar to Suffocation, are they worth bothering with?)

November 17, 2004, 06:06:40 AM
I recommend "The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation" by Kataklysm. They got more and more boring as they went on after that release, though Sorcery is decent from what I've heard.

"Unorthodox" is Edge of Sanity's best work, it's interesting scan-death.

Falconsbane's review of the Kataklysm on M-A, which is accurate:
"Brutal death metal has never been a creatively fertile field. For the most part, it has been an artistic charnel house of bad ideas, bad cover art and awful jock rock. Kataklysm's debut mcd is an exception.

"The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation" significantly both from its brevity (21 minutes) and a wonderfully organic, bass soaked mix. The core of this work (like so much of the best death metal) is the struggle between alienation from a meaningless universe and the endless possibilities open to those with the courage to impose a new order in the midst of Chaos. Kataklysm display an easy fluency both in the language of violence and the symbolic world of the Will, embracing the paradox inherent in their struggle through the juxtaposition of relentlessly punishing rhythms and calculatedly articulate structures, pulverizing, scraping riffs and the roaring silence of atmospheric melodies. The result is an album seething with passion and rage, yet intelligently reflective. Highly recommended."

November 17, 2004, 08:26:21 AM
I agree 100% with the comment on Kataklysm. TMGR is their best output, although everything with Houde is worth getting. Also be sure to read the lyrics. Very powerful.

Annihilaytorr

November 18, 2004, 07:04:45 AM
Necrovore