Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Seeking opinions?

Re: Seeking opinions?
March 25, 2005, 12:01:24 AM
"Useful" bickering tends to make a board stay active.

Is there a difference between debate and bickering?

Part of the reason this board exists is because the main board started, for awhile, to resemble back issues of Der Sturmer....

March 28, 2005, 11:25:25 PM
alright seeking oppinions on:
-Hypocrisy
-Macabre (just  curious what other people think of them)
-Absurd
yahweh, bring me to valhala

March 28, 2005, 11:53:39 PM
Hypocrisy and Macabre both suck. Absurd's older material is Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement/punk stuff and their newer stuff is boring. Get Werwolfthron, Facta Loquuntur, and maybe the ep, even though it's shit.

March 29, 2005, 12:33:32 AM
Hypocrisy and Macabre both suck.

Maybe you need more exposure to both?

Early HYPOCRISY (the first two) is very good period death metal.  They were never as innovative as some of their peers, nor are they as derivative as many say; they managed to make solid, heavy death metal and forged an identity through only two albums with the style.  Everything following "The Fourth Dimension" is absolute garbage, of course, but the first two stand completely alone from the disgusting remainder of their back catalog.

Early MACABRE was unique in many ways, as well, and ahead of their time in others.  It's essentially hyper-speed hardcore but managed to be surprisingly musical and (IMO) the earlier works survive novelty even with their outright humourus approach to lyrics and songwriting.  Much of the later stuff is quite boring but I still enjoy albums like "Sinister Slaughter" and "Gloom" on a certain level.

March 29, 2005, 12:41:09 AM
Hypocrisy in its earliest incarnations was examplary of Swedish death metal, albeit hybridized with the American styles, and touched with a remnant sliver of heavy metal. By no means extraordinary, it is still worthwhile music capturing the spirit of death metal which has since faded with time to a residual nostalgic afterglow.

http://www.anus.com/metal/hypocrisy.html
"Art remains in the artist and is the knowledge by which things are made. What is made according to the art is correct; what one makes as one likes may very well be awkward. We must not confuse taste with judgment, or loveliness with beauty, for as Augustine says, some people like deformities." -- A.K. Coomaraswamy

March 29, 2005, 01:47:29 AM
To be fair, I could stand to listen to Macabre more.

March 29, 2005, 10:26:32 AM
Hypocrisy and Macabre both suck. Absurd's older material is Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement/punk stuff and their newer stuff is boring. Get Werwolfthron, Facta Loquuntur, and maybe the ep, even though it's shit.

I agree with the comments on Absurd. I liked Sinister Slaughter by Macabre, it's MEANT to not be taken seriously.
The first two Hypocrisy full lengths are Classic Death Metal. I also don't think you've heard much of the earliest Hypocrisy. Anyone whom likes killer Satanic Black Death Metal like the Deicide debut will be very happy with Hypocrisy's early stuff.

March 29, 2005, 10:32:46 AM

Maybe you need more exposure to both?

Early HYPOCRISY (the first two) is very good period death metal.  They were never as innovative as some of their peers, nor are they as derivative as many say; they managed to make solid, heavy death metal and forged an identity through only two albums with the style.  Everything following "The Fourth Dimension" is absolute garbage, of course, but the first two stand completely alone from the disgusting remainder of their back catalog.

I agree with and am impressed with your writing, except for stating that stuff like the "Fourth Dimension" was good. It's entirely my opinion, but "Fourth..." and "Abducte" both mark the era where Tatgren started liking shit bands like Megadeth WAY too much. I was personally offended by "Abducted" with its revolting "Rust in Peace" worship (Mega-shit), and was even more repulsed by Tatgren taking over vocal duties...he SUCKS.
Then again, I was REALLY happy when the original singer for Hypocrisy went Black Metal and joined Dark Funeral for "Vobiscum Satanas", though they started eating shit shortly after that Classic release.

March 29, 2005, 10:39:16 AM
Hypocrisy in its earliest incarnations was examplary of Swedish death metal, albeit hybridized with the American styles, and touched with a remnant sliver of heavy metal. By no means extraordinary, it is still worthwhile music capturing the spirit of death metal which has since faded with time to a residual nostalgic afterglow.

http://www.anus.com/metal/hypocrisy.html

The above posts are examples of how a Metal Forum can include excellent writing and critique. I would have learned alot about these bands just by reading the above posts by Hate Edge and company. There are plenty of people with informed opinions on this Board whom don't expose themselves as Basic Posers by constantly throwing their "Kult Adherence" in the face of others. Great job, thank you.
The above posts make me more interested in what goes on here.
I again must ask: has anyone any familiarity with the '80's Thrash band ...I think they were called Exhumer or Exumer? One of their releases was called something like Possessed by Fire? What about the band Razor? Zoetrope?
I like really speedy Thrash with intense, ripping guitar solos. Tome, Thrash is exemplified in stuff like Kreator: Endless Pain, Morbid Angel: Abominations of Desolation and Testament: New Order, as weird and diverse as those citings may seem.

March 30, 2005, 01:16:03 AM
I agree with and am impressed with your writing, except for stating that stuff like the "Fourth Dimension" was good. It's entirely my opinion, but "Fourth..." and "Abducte" both mark the era where Tatgren started liking shit bands like Megadeth WAY too much. I was personally offended by "Abducted" with its revolting "Rust in Peace" worship (Mega-shit), and was even more repulsed by Tatgren taking over vocal duties...he SUCKS.
Then again, I was REALLY happy when the original singer for Hypocrisy went Black Metal and joined Dark Funeral for "Vobiscum Satanas", though they started eating shit shortly after that Classic release.

To be clear I wasn't implying "The Fourth Dimension" stands in the same realm as the first two as it is clearly more rock-influenced and inconsistent overall.  I think it floats somewhere in between those albums and everything following, the whole of which is more or less unlistenable.  For the record also I have no problem with MEGADETH, but taken in the context of death/black metal I agree that taking primary influence from them is problematic.

A final for the record goes to my thinking DARK FUNERAL is boring, one-dimensional shite.

March 30, 2005, 02:24:50 AM
actually out of absurds discography i really only find the facta loquuntur rerelease of any value. specifically the rerelease because of the bonus material. it adds a lot to the album imo.

March 30, 2005, 02:36:29 AM
Specific album: Infernum's Farewell - anybody heard it? If so, any good? And how does it stack up to previous releases?

I'm interested to hear it, particularly due to the issues regarding Karcharoth.

March 30, 2005, 02:49:00 AM
has it been released?? i heard some advance tracks...

March 30, 2005, 02:52:51 AM
I'm going by what I heard - which was a 2005 release.

March 30, 2005, 12:36:48 PM

To be clear I wasn't implying "The Fourth Dimension" stands in the same realm as the first two as it is clearly more rock-influenced and inconsistent overall.  I think it floats somewhere in between those albums and everything following, the whole of which is more or less unlistenable.  For the record also I have no problem with MEGADETH, but taken in the context of death/black metal I agree that taking primary influence from them is problematic.

A final for the record goes to my thinking DARK FUNERAL is boring, one-dimensional shite.

Your comments on Hypocrisy are pretty much agreed with, and again I hail your well thought out post.
As to Dark Funeral, I hear tht alot from people as to their 1 dimensional style. I guess I just LIKE the super speedy Swede sound. Just me.