Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Seeking opinions?

Re: Seeking opinions?
May 12, 2005, 05:26:05 PM
Macabre Omen are cool, epic BM from Greece. Somewhat similar to The Shadow Order and early Wolfnacht, though not as good as either. The last track on "The Ancient Returns" rules, I must say.

If you've been listening to early Wolfnacht and Shadow Order, you've been listening to some really excellent Metal. I actually put away my sacred Bathory cd for debut Wolfnacht once I read your post. thank you, Kamerad. Also, there is such raw, hateful Black Metal coming out by the band Xenophobia soon. You might want to look for  (heh) Recrucifier's cd.

May 12, 2005, 08:40:12 PM
Hmm, may well do. "Heidentum" is awesome, one of the most under-appreciated BM albums ever to grace my ears. The Shadow Order are also worthy, though a bit less so due to their more obviously derivative nature.

My reviews of the two:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=22874
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=25523

May 13, 2005, 09:36:47 AM
Hmm, may well do. "Heidentum" is awesome, one of the most under-appreciated BM albums ever to grace my ears. The Shadow Order are also worthy, though a bit less so due to their more obviously derivative nature.

My reviews of the two:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=22874
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=25523

Impressive reviews. Sahdow Order's lack of originality doesn't bother me much, because I love the bands that they love. I'm glad they're at least not pretentious about it.
Hey, if you're into really killer, Paul Baloff-era Exodus, Skolnick-era Testament, Dark Angel,et al then I reccomend both the Danish band Victimizer and the aforementioned Recrucifier, although the latter has some pretty damn lame recording and production, and has alot of guitar solos, which may turn you off.
I also heard that Peste Noire is a great band, with excellent guitar playing...?

May 14, 2005, 09:34:33 AM
How is Adramelech's EP, "Seven" in comparison to their other works?

Utopia_Kidnaped

May 15, 2005, 01:30:20 PM
Tearstained.
I was recommended them, but I'm pretty wary at the moment as their whole package seems to scream "Suicidal Black Metal". Have I misjudged?

May 15, 2005, 02:45:43 PM
Don't bother. Suicide is the primary theme of the band/project. It's mostly first wave BM worship with annoying King Diamond immitative vocals. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME.

Utopia_Kidnaped

May 15, 2005, 03:50:23 PM
Don't bother. Suicide is the primary theme of the band/project. It's mostly first wave BM worship with annoying King Diamond immitative vocals. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME.

Right. Thanks.

May 18, 2005, 10:17:21 PM
I would still appreciate feedback pertaining to these bands:

Withered Earth/Disgorge
Insision
Behemoth (black metal albums)
Centurian
Hate
Yattering
Totten Korps
Infernum

May 18, 2005, 11:47:24 PM
Seeking opinions on:

Liers in Wait (one of the bands formed from the Grotesque breakup)

I recommend From the Pagan Vastlands and The Forests Dream Eternally.  Both of these albums are fairly straight forward black metal with evident folk influences (which many of the early Polish bands reveled in).  From the Pagan Vastlands is more in the style of Immortal's first out put.  What Behemoth did real well on these first two albums was create an atmosphere by weaving in acoustic guitars with the main riffing (this worked exceptionally well for them).  Check out these two as they are the best.  Later albums, starting with Grom, began steps towards their newer style that they play today and I can't really recommend it much as a result.  I don't find it (in particular Grom) heavily original or interesting (there are some good parts in Grom, just not enough).  Grom plays more like a band with an identity crisis, unsure if they still want to play black metal and weave in folk elements to their music (which they still do pretty good on this album when they take the time to put them in); this album reflects a band lacking passion and ideas as it sounds like they are mimicing the style of Mayhem  and mixing it with a little early Satyricon and Dodheimsgard.  In short it is medicore compared to the two earlier works I mentioned.

May 19, 2005, 01:16:41 AM
I would still appreciate feedback pertaining to these bands:

Withered Earth/Disgorge
Insision
Centurian
Hate
Yattering
Totten Korps
Infernum

I agree with Phantasm about Behemoth, and also recommend "Sventevith" as their best full-length release.

What I've heard from Yattering sucks I recall, and I'd be wary of any of the 17 bands named Disgorge.

Infernum's "Taar-Nu-Fuin" is recommended quite highly, it's made by Mr. Fudali and Mr. Capricornus so its quality is a bit of a given. It's somewhat in the Graveland vein, but focuses less on being proud /rousing and more on the mystical side of things.

May 19, 2005, 01:22:44 AM
Liers in Wait (one of the bands formed from the Grotesque breakup)

"Spiritually Uncontrolled Art" is a rather deadly incarnation of chaos if I may say so. Technical and quite thrashy (not a combination that normally appeals to me), but there are so many shifting patterns and intense swirling passages (integrated effectively, I might add) that it immerses the listener with surprising ease.

May 19, 2005, 01:52:39 AM
"Von was an American joke band formed in the interim between black metal's first and second waves, playing music about as minimalistic as one could get. Clichés aside, the music is surprisingly tolerable and does provide an atmosphere formulated out of primitivism. Gutteral vocals can be found instead of the usual rasp used in black metal; supposedly an Autopsy member was part of the band."

Sorta sad that the best Black Metal to have ever come out of the U.S. was from a Joke Band.  :-[

May 19, 2005, 01:57:20 AM
By the way, what are your opinions on Darkthrones' "Goatlord"?

I think it's their fourth best album behind TH, UAFM, and SJ. The shitty production gives the album a very cold, sterile atmosphere.

May 19, 2005, 03:23:42 AM

I'd be wary of any of the 17 bands named Disgorge.

Actually I meant to type Disgorged, of whom Dave Culross from Suffocation and Malevolent Creation was a member. The band changed their name to Withered Earth once the original lineup was broken. They're a NYDM outfit.

May 19, 2005, 03:26:10 AM
Yattering actually isn't too bad, though they're somewhat inconsistent. They have improved over the years, from what I've gathered of my listening to them.  The same critique applies to Hate.