Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Seeking opinions?

Re: Seeking opinions?
May 19, 2005, 03:27:35 AM
By the way, what are your opinions on Darkthrones' "Goatlord"?

I think it's their fourth best album behind TH, UAFM, and SJ. The shitty production gives the album a very cold, sterile atmosphere.

It's interesting that you'd rank it above "A Blaze In The Northern Sky."

May 19, 2005, 03:55:30 AM
Throne of Ahaz - On Twilight Enthroned
Golem - Second Moon

May 19, 2005, 06:29:00 AM
Thou Shalt Suffer?

May 19, 2005, 12:02:26 PM
Golem - Second Moon

If you've heard the other two, it'll suffice to say that it's pretty much what you'd expect from a stepping stone between them. Probably their weakest, but still worthwhile listening methinks.

May 19, 2005, 12:04:01 PM
Sorta sad that the best Black Metal to have ever come out of the U.S. was from a Joke Band.  :-[

Demoncy are a joke band? Well I never.

May 19, 2005, 08:34:22 PM

Demoncy are a joke band? Well I never.

Stranger was referring to Von. But I'd agree with you and say that Demoncy at one point was the premier US black metal act; that position now belongs to Averse Sefira.

May 19, 2005, 09:18:19 PM
That's right. It's not to say that other U.S. Black Metal bands aren't good, I just don't think they've been any better than what Von was doing back in the late 80's.

Demoncy are an excellent band, as is Averse Sefira. But I think the latter band is way overrated. Their good, for sure, but I think because one of their members is good friends with Prozak (at least it seems that way), they tend to become overhyped by this website.

May 19, 2005, 09:41:51 PM

Stranger was referring to Von. But I'd agree with you and say that Demoncy at one point was the premier US black metal act; that position now belongs to Averse Sefira.

I know, and I agree. I consider "Joined in Darkness" the best BM release ever to come out of the USA, though.

May 19, 2005, 09:42:41 PM
I also agree that Averse Sefira are a little bit overrated around these parts.

May 19, 2005, 10:38:20 PM
I wouldn't say they're overhyped. They're mentioned quite frequently around these parts, sure, but for good reason. Their promotion is encouraged as they are far more deserving of notice than many other bands whose fame is widespread.

May 22, 2005, 11:07:57 PM
Thou Shalt Suffer?

Cool, spooky vein of death metal, some pre-black metal elements but mostly death with eerie keyboard lines.  At least that's what it is for the early pre-Emperor stuff back when ildjarn played with them.

May 24, 2005, 07:02:42 PM
Pan-Thy-Monium
Opthalamia
Pyrexia
Rise
Deteriorate
Revenant
Swordmaster
Merciless
Gehenna
Heidenreich
Isengard
Watchtower
Dodheimsgard

May 24, 2005, 07:21:28 PM
Pyrexia

Very much in the vain of the NYDM bands such as Morpheus Descends and Suffocation, though don't expect anything out of the ordinary from "Sermon of Mockery".

May 24, 2005, 11:24:42 PM
Deteriorate

I have the The Senectuous Entrance which is really good, vocalist can scream forever.

May 24, 2005, 11:51:32 PM
Pan-Thy-Monium
Opthalamia
Pyrexia
Rise
Deteriorate
Swordmaster
Merciless
Isengard
Dodheimsgard

Some short remarks about the above:
PAN-THY-MONIUM: despite the gimmicky aura (saxophones, random timings, and general weirdness) some of the material is really strong.  The best of it is melodically rock-tinged but very convincing heavy Swedish style death metal with the above-mentioned quirky additions.  The demo and third album I probably enjoy the most, but I haven't heard a lot of the debut.

OPHTHALAMIA: rock-based "black" doom.  Perhaps a hybrid of "classic" doom (the SABBATH vein) with some newer influences.  Too predicitable for me.

PYREXIA: as mentioned, nothing mind-blowing but pretty decent "Effigy" apeing on the demo and first album.  Avoid the later material which is almost exclusively hardcore.

RISE: the album I have ("Shadows of Ruin") is memorably written American death metal with perhaps a touch of European class.  Better than anything you will hear today heh.

DETERIORATE: the first album is very heavy, moderately complex death metal, similar to what you would expect from that time period stylistically but better than average in songwriting and execution.

SWORDMASTER: first EP is a very short, straight-ahead DISSECTION rip-off, while the remaineder is retro-thrash through and through.  Avoid completely.

MERCILESS: first album and demos are pounding, merciless (heh) speed/death metal, excellent stuff.  The riffing style is quite unique.  I haven't heard the second album but believe it to be in a similar vein.  By the third ("Unbound") they had simplified and hopped the melodic Swedeath/black trend a bit.  Surprisingly though you can hear a natrual progression and it does not sound terribly forced.  A catchy listen if anything.

ISENGARD: the material varies from pure folk anthems to dark death metal (the first demo, included on the "Vinterskugge" CD) to DARKTHONE style black metal (but even better in places!) to ambientish pieces.  Pure genius; obtain both albums as soon as possible, you will not be disappointed.

DODHEIMSGARD: the first disc is great Norwegian black metal.  Unique vocals, style, delivery, andinteresting haunting riffing along with Fenriz's fantastic bass quitar work.  I would be cautious about anything later which lapsed first into retro black/thrash ("Monumental Possession") and then pretentious Moonfag style post-black metal industrial tinged garbage.