Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Seeking opinions?

TC

Re: Seeking opinions?
June 15, 2005, 04:55:03 PM
thesyre is probably my favorite band.  new album is great, first album is great, split is great.  great band.

June 15, 2005, 05:45:01 PM
Branikald - "Stormheit" is an interesting CD, it's one of few epics with very harsh production. Very obvious vibe of Russian nationalism.

Thallium - I recall them being a bit Veles-esque. Pretty good stuff. Not that I've heard them in a year at least.

Venedae - Ah, there's another name I haven't heard in fucking ages. Cool NWOBHM-influenced BM, if my memory serves me correctly.

June 15, 2005, 07:16:39 PM
Better than "Into the Autumn Shade"?

I have this feeling I have stated this here before, heh, but I personally think "No Longer Silent" is a little better.  It should be noted that the two albums are stylistically different, as much of the "death/doom" of the first disc doesn't shine through in the same way on the second.

June 21, 2005, 01:19:42 AM
Apparently, some guy suddenly sold a small portion of his metal collection, for as I walked into my favorite used record shop this afternoon I was overwhelmed by the quantity of quality metal releases that I found.

Here’s what I’ve already picked up as a result of extensive prior listening experience:

Vomit Remnants “Supreme Entity”
Mithras “Worlds Beyond the Veil”
Suidakra “Lays From Afar/Lupine Essence”

And here are the CDs that I carefully wrote down and chose to leave behind, because even with some general knowledge of these bands below, a limited amount of financial funds leaves me hesitant when purchasing records with which I have had zero prior listening experience. Unless otherwise noted, all these items are either priced at $5.99 or $6.99:

Star One “Space Metal: limited edition” ($9.99)
Spock’s Beard “Snow” ($9.99)
The Fucking Champs “V”
Ensiferum “Ensiferum,” “Iron”
Deeds of Flesh “Inbreeding the Anthropophagi”
Axis of Advance “Strike”
Falconer “Falconer”
Bathory “Nordland I” ($9.99)
Neuraxis “Imagery,” “Truth Beyond,” “A Passage into Forlorn”
Vomit Remnants “Indefensible Vehemence”
Forest of Impaled “Mortis Dei,” “Forward the Spears”
Darkthrone “Panzerfaust”
Fate of Icarus “Cut Your Throat Before They Do”
Lord Belial “Angelgrinder”
Mortuary (Mex) “Blackened Images”
Severed Savior “Forced to Bleed”

Right now I am leaning towards taking the following titles to my home when I leave the store tomorrow, but any opinions written here and elsewhere will be carefully evaluated and properly weighted when it comes time to make said purchase:

Star One “Space Metal: limited edition”
Ensiferum “Ensiferum”
Darkthrone “Panzerfaust”

Please feel free to highlight any albums from my master list that should be considered essential, given their fleeting availability and impressively low price. Thanks in advance.

And now I’m off to go read some more reviews while continuing my current frenzy of P2P downloading on Soulseek. Cheers.

June 21, 2005, 07:57:00 AM
The Mortuary is the best there.

June 21, 2005, 02:44:24 PM
The Mortuary is the best there.

I agree. If you like either Sepultura or Massacra you must get that one, as it's almost like a hybrid of the two.

June 23, 2005, 08:46:37 AM
perhaps we should start an international network of secondhand cd buying and mailing to each other.

i can offer Deteriorate's "The Senectuous Entrance" from my local... it's going for AUD$15 plus my postage costs... which i've realised will probably mean only serious fans will be interested as cds in australia are comparatively expensive.

Anybody?

TC

June 23, 2005, 10:11:01 AM
hey, anyone that buys the new Harkonin CD gets a free padded envelope.... ;)

June 23, 2005, 08:09:56 PM
Forest of Impaled “Mortis Dei,”
Darkthrone “Panzerfaust”
Mortuary (Mex) “Blackened Images”

I'd get these. The Mortuary has been posted here before.

June 23, 2005, 08:11:36 PM
perhaps we should start an international network of secondhand cd buying and mailing to each other.

A few thoughts:

1) I wanted to start a metal collective for this reason. No metalheads could get their shit together - big surprise.

2) Sharing the MP3s is a good start. The hub is the best place, as it's not just a metal fetus central; there's classical, ambient, folk etc.

3) Nothing wrong with CD trading.

4) Also remember to send any rare, OOP recordings in dub form to:

http://www.hessian.org/sites/gaychristrecords

June 24, 2005, 12:51:01 AM
fieldmouse, i'd be interested in that cd, but i can't afford it now. would you hold it for me?

June 24, 2005, 09:04:00 AM
4) Also remember to send any rare, OOP recordings in dub form to:

http://www.hessian.org/sites/gaychristrecords

Just want to reiterate that I am still trading for anyone interested.

June 24, 2005, 01:39:35 PM
fieldmouse, i'd be interested in that cd, but i can't afford it now. would you hold it for me?

it's sitting in a secondhand cd store near to where i live. if you'll buy it. i'll buy it.

June 27, 2005, 12:31:26 PM
Can anyone offer an opinion on the best material from the progressive thrash band Mekong Delta?

Also, what's the general consensus on Pestilence's "Malleus Maleficarum." Basically, is it worth paying attention to in light of their later, more interesting releases?

June 27, 2005, 05:54:52 PM
Also, what's the general consensus on Pestilence's "Malleus Maleficarum." Basically, is it worth paying attention to in light of their later, more interesting releases?

It's a more primitive, thrashy effort. If you like that sort of thing, this is a strong example of it.