Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Tips on singing black metal

Tips on singing black metal
September 27, 2005, 05:08:29 PM
Anyone have some tips on how to sing black metal and adjust your voice to that sound.

Re: Tips on singing black metal
September 27, 2005, 05:26:23 PM
Just scream at the top of your lungs...not like a girl, though.  ;D Your vocal cords will undergo some serious damage, and at first you'll barely be able to speak. But the scarring will allow for such vocals to become more natural, so to speak.
Just make sure you don't go about it half-assed-ly, because that's what does the most damage. Realize your range, straining past your limits can cause damage. Abbath did well within his limits, not everyone can scream as piercingly as Hat (from early Gorgoroth), for example. The power comes from within the torso--it is actually quite therapeutic, you'll come to find. Unfortunately, in college there aren't very many places where one can be alone...though I do some growls when I'm alone on the elevator! hahaha! 8)

TC

September 27, 2005, 05:27:34 PM
please, whatever you do, do NOT look to the band Silencer as an example of how to sing black metal.  great music but the vocals.....yikes.

September 28, 2005, 02:45:24 AM
please, whatever you do, do NOT look to the band Silencer as an example of how to sing black metal.  great music but the vocals.....yikes.

Silencer vocals are awesome. It's nice to see someone do something a bit different then the boring Darkthrone growls.

TC

September 28, 2005, 11:22:26 AM
Silencer vocals are awesome. It's nice to see someone do something a bit different then the boring Darkthrone growls.

well, i hear you and agree with trying different things, but man - these vocals are just grating.  nails on a chalkboard.  i'm trying to get used to them though, as i do like the music.

September 28, 2005, 11:16:45 PM
A lot of people seem to dog him, but Maniac of Mayhem has excellent vocals.

And then there's Burzum. No one can match him.

October 03, 2005, 10:12:06 AM
A lot of people seem to dog him, but Maniac of Mayhem has excellent vocals.

And then there's Burzum. No one can match him.

Maniac's vocals were good on Deathcrush [EP].
"Death the ultimate reality death the ultimate reason to live."

October 03, 2005, 10:58:07 PM
Maniac's vocals were good on Deathcrush [EP].

They were even better on Wolfs Lair Abyss.  (That bands best work, by the way).

October 07, 2005, 11:56:13 AM
It takes years of sucking cock to sound like...er..a cock.
KICK THE African-Americans OUT OF ENGLAND

October 08, 2005, 03:25:46 PM
not everyone can scream as piercingly as Hat (from early Gorgoroth), for example.

the harshest vocals i've ever heard on record! i wonder what happened to him after he did a few bits on 'antichrist', the release after 'pentagram', i even asked Infernus and he doesn't know!!!
:'(
http://www.rawnervepromotions.co.uk - Massive forums, reviews, band promotions, flyer distribution and tons more. Check the latest sales as well.

October 08, 2005, 06:19:07 PM
It takes years of sucking cock to sound like...er..a cock.

Can you tell the reason why you're always talking about cocks, dicks, cocksukers, sucking cocks...in every post you write?

October 08, 2005, 07:28:28 PM
Something tells me Blitz from Overkill would have been quite good at shrieking black metal vocals...
"Art remains in the artist and is the knowledge by which things are made. What is made according to the art is correct; what one makes as one likes may very well be awkward. We must not confuse taste with judgment, or loveliness with beauty, for as Augustine says, some people like deformities." -- A.K. Coomaraswamy

October 10, 2005, 06:26:54 AM

Can you tell the reason why you're always talking about cocks, dicks, cocksukers, sucking cocks...in every post you write?

It's hard not to when one is refering to black metal.
KICK THE African-Americans OUT OF ENGLAND

October 19, 2005, 04:38:03 PM
It comes from deeper down than the normal scream, but as it has already been mentioned it does take time. Emperor and Darkthrone vocals I would recomend as something to aim for though.
And about the cock thing, cock is always relavent to metal, because your cock is as metal as it gets, its why there are so few women in metal.
In a state of permanent Abyss