Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Classic Swedish death metal list

Classic Swedish death metal list
October 21, 2008, 01:37:40 AM
From another board -- modified to leave out crap and inaccuracies:

Carbonized - For The Security. Swedish death mixed with grind. Very interesting.

Carnage - Dark Recollections. A total must-have for anyone who likes early Entombed and Dismember. This is basically the 3rd best album after "Left Hand Path" and "Ever-Flowing Stream."

Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey. This debut is very cool, melodic and atmospheric but still clearly death metal. Afterward they started to suck.

Desultory - Into Eternity. Good 2nd tier Stockholm death metal. Riffing is about as much thrash as death but the vocals are first class and the melodies are good. Their demos are also good.

Dismember - basically everything. Their greatest album is "Like an Ever-Flowing Stream," which to me is the best thing on this list and maybe the best death metal album ever.

Entombed - Left Hand Path, Clandestine, Crawl. You know at least one of these. "Left Hand Path" is a monument. "Crawl" is a great little EP with a different vocalist.

Evocation - Evocation. Demo comp from a Stockholm also-ran band. They recently reformed and did an album, which pales in comparison to these well-produced demos.  -- never heard

God Macabre - The Winterlong. Super heavy, tremendous album.

Goddefied - Abysmal Grief. Soon to be reissued by Blood Harvest, this sounds a lot like early Dismember. The band's also together again and working on an album to follow up this EP. -- does this suck?

Gorement - Darkness of The Dead. Somewhere between Darkified and God Macabre.

Grave - Into The Grave, You'll Never See. The ugly monster in the basement of Swedeath. These albums are both so nasty and brutal, they're must-haves.  -- always thought these were boring

Grotesque - In The Embrace of Evil. A black/death standard setting band. You can get this on CD with At the Gates's "Gardens of Grief."

Interment - Conjuration of The Sepulchral. Part of a split with the Finnish-sounding band Funebrarum. Great split in all, but Interment's half is the best part: total old school sound. They're reunited and working on a new album too.  -- never heard

Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence. Blackened death similar to Bloodstone - or imagine Dismember mixed with Dissection, maybe. Very good.

Nihilist - demos. Available on CD. These demos basically created the Swedish death sound.

Paganizer - No Divine Rapture. The frontman for this is involved in Ribspreader and Demiurg also. All these bands are kind of samey to me, so this is just a representative selection. If you like it, check out his other projects.

Seance - ForNever Laid To Rest. Atypical sound for a Swedish band (closer to some US styles really), but very very good and strongly recommended. Some swear by their second album too, but I don't.

Therion - Of Darkness, Beyond Sanctorum, and Ho Drakon Ho Megas. Like a melodic Mercyful Fate taking on heavy Celtic Frost death metal.

Unanimated - In The Forest of The Dreaming Dead, Ancient God of Evil. Dismember meets Dissection.

Uncanny - Splenium For Nyktophobia. This is edging into tech death territory but the album is so great (and so woefully obscure) that I have to recommend it at every opportunity.

Unleashed - Shadows In The Deep, Where No Life Dwells. Meat-and-potatoes death metal with catchy, basic song structures and riffs.

Utumno - Across The Horizon. Now HERE is the best EP in Swedish history, to me at least. It's 2/3 standard Swedish death, and 1/3 something else entirely... big, atmospheric riffs; interesting and kind of philosophical lyrics. The really unusual cover art says it all. Vic Records is supposed to be preparing a reissue.

Don't forget Sacramentum.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Re: Classic Swedish death meta list
October 21, 2008, 02:56:51 AM
What is the general opinion on post-LAEFS Dismember? Do any of their other albums match the quality of the debut?

Re: Classic Swedish death metal list
October 22, 2008, 04:53:04 AM
It's pretty clear to me that Therion produced the best Swedish metal album period in Beyond Sanctorum and are overall the best metal band to come from that country (Yes, I am aware that Bathory is from Sweden). Even though it isn't their best, Symphony Masses is my favorite of theirs.

October 22, 2008, 05:31:41 AM
It's pretty clear to me that Therion produced the best Swedish metal album period in Beyond Sanctorum and are overall the best metal band to come from that country (Yes, I am aware that Bathory is from Sweden). Even though it isn't their best, Symphony Masses is my favorite of theirs.

I would go with Far Away from the Sun for that title myself but Beyond Sanctorum would be a very close runner's up.

October 22, 2008, 05:58:33 AM
trying to find the "best" swedish DM release from this period is like trying to pick the brightest, shiniest piece of jewlery.

in the end, its all gold.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

October 22, 2008, 06:28:18 AM
It seems At the Gates' - The Red in the Sky Is Ours was forgotten.  While this album does not always have the "classic" Swedish sound, the unique formula of classical inspired melodies in fusion with heavier pan-tonal passages sets it apart from the rest of their fellow countryman. 

I have also noticed that the album review was taken off the DLA, yet their 95' atrocity still stands.  http://www.anus.com/metal/at_the_gates/

Re: Classic Swedish death meta list
October 22, 2008, 02:15:32 PM
What is the general opinion on post-LAEFS Dismember? Do any of their other albums match the quality of the debut?

No. Not even close.

The Pieces EP and Indecent and Obscene were close in raw quality, but with none of the beauty or epic scale, so most people found them kind of a let-down.

Ever since then it has been Motorhead worship, which is what happens to every Swedish band.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

October 22, 2008, 05:52:27 PM
It seems At the Gates' - The Red in the Sky Is Ours was forgotten.  While this album does not always have the "classic" Swedish sound, the unique formula of classical inspired melodies in fusion with heavier pan-tonal passages sets it apart from the rest of their fellow countryman. 

I have also noticed that the album review was taken off the DLA, yet their 95' atrocity still stands.  http://www.anus.com/metal/at_the_gates/

The first three At The Gates releases (Gardens of Grief, The Red In The Sky Is Ours, and With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness) outclass anything on the list above, I agree, but then again, early At The Gates was at the very rare pinnacle of metal that very little can stand up against.    To my knowledge there never was a DLA review of The Red In The Sky Is Ours, and if you noticed, the review for Slaughter of the Soul isn't particularly flattering there, which is well, but you do raise an interesting question there, especially as to why it was chosen to review a subpar album, even if only to point out it's selling out and negative qualities, as opposed to reviewing one of the most amazingly written death metal albums.  I'm sure there are reasons behind this.

October 23, 2008, 12:58:36 AM
Morpheus - Stockholm scene death metal from back in the day. Pretty intense stuff, most underrated swedish death metal band in my opinion. Check out their full length album.

October 28, 2008, 11:53:30 PM
Merciless - The Awakening. Classic death metal. Not as evolved as most of the bands that made it onto the list but very influential.

October 31, 2008, 04:34:24 AM
I've been curious about "Unbound" by Merciless. Their 1994 album which is apparently a melodic death metal type of album..oh and it's supposed to be good. I haven't read a really in depth review for it yet. I would have to champion Utumno which is already mentioned in the list. One of the lesser known Swedish death metal bands that surprised me in terms of originality and quality.

November 06, 2008, 12:12:21 AM
Paganizer - No Divine Rapture. The frontman for this is involved in Ribspreader and Demiurg also. All these bands are kind of samey to me, so this is just a representative selection. If you like it, check out his other projects.
Formed in 1998 - how classic could this possibly be? :P

November 22, 2008, 04:15:21 AM
whoever asked about merciless- unbound.. i have the CD and its really good. i suggest  you find it.. dont worry about reviews.. the music is good

I second this. It's speed metal/melodic black-death hybrid, and it's slower paced like old Cemetary at times, but it rips.
ASBO

November 22, 2008, 01:58:04 PM
Thanks for the opinions on "Unbound." It was me who asked and these comments have reinvigorated my interest so I'll have to check it out.

November 30, 2008, 08:40:21 AM
Why isnt Nirvana 2002 on this list? Despite having a limited output in their time, what they did put out was quality.
Firmly entrenched in Chucks butt!