Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk
October 22, 2008, 09:01:52 PM
Kraftwerk

Like any who explore modern or postmodern ideas, the music implies a narrative "from below" by not being overtly serious, yet introduces with sleight of hand the interconnections within its topics to create context, which it then probes with music that evolves in layers like classical over the pulsing beat of techno and rock, fusing the ancient and the modern into one narrative that emerges instead of being explicitly stated in these simple -- yet on second look, complex -- works.

Kraftwerk reviews and mp3 samples

Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks full album mp3s
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Septicemia

Re: Kraftwerk
October 22, 2008, 09:45:07 PM
I find this music to be very profound, moreso than most of the better metal endorsed here. The simplicity and unity of their art, I think, epitomize what metal should have been and what it can move towards. It transcends time, and merits little explanation.

October 25, 2008, 08:51:09 PM
Yes indeed: their music is a classic example of less being more. Although I thought that while the Tour de France soundtracks held up as a dance music album, they did not hold up as a Kraftwerk album. Listen to it: it's all pretty good (apart from Elektro Kardiogram and Vitamin which are merely okay); but then you get to track 12, the old version of Tour de France and you realise better they used to be; then you put Trans-Europe Express on, and you realise that even the old Tour de France cannot compare to their prime.

October 26, 2008, 11:23:23 AM
Eh, I've got to disagree.

I think it fits perfectly into the Kraftwerk mold. If you listen to it as a whole, as you've always had to with Kraftwerk albums, it's a complete idea in a slightly new style.

Stuff like La Forme holds up toe to toe with the best of their older material

Aerodynamik, Vitamin, Electrokardiogramm -- I'd prefer these to Pocket Calculator.

The production is colder and there's less singing; melodies are often shorter but with more layers; otherwise, same band. The years will take their toll on anyone but here it is minimized if visible at all.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh