Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Wolves in the Throne Room

Re: Wolves in the Throne Room
December 15, 2008, 03:34:34 PM
I agree. The band actually did rework the song in the LP version of their album - they made it 6 minutes longer! I have yet to listen to the reworked song.

You have that version for download in the audio section.

December 15, 2008, 04:38:00 PM
Six minutes LONGER? the only good part of that 3rd song is Jessica Kenney's vocal parts at the beginning (of which, im normally not a fan of female singers in her style, but she has an excellent voice).

I really think WITTR should do an album of just ambient/electronic type music. Theyre a lot better at composing that kind of stuff.

December 15, 2008, 10:31:09 PM
I don't see why this is such a hot topic. WITTR,while being better musically,are in the same vein as Velvet Cacoon,Lifelover and every shitty "black noise" project/one man band debuting on myspace. It's mostly non-metal hipster douchebag individuals playing somewhat in the style of black metal. Either using it as a vehicle to appear interesting,eclectic,dark or to just get famous and fuck chicks.  When I say 'non-metal', think individuals with no interest in the spirit of heavy metal who don't "get it" but like the harshness and outsider aura of Burzum and Ildjarn and etc. I don't find this particular band to be so lazy that they just wander around the fretboard while screaming,but they aren't saying anything that I can't find on an older classic album. At the same time I realize that the whole "keep it tr00" scene is mind numbingly predictable and boring...thus some type of hybrid black metal/rock thing,packaged nicely,with esoteric symbol dabbling is going to be somewhat attractive. But c'mon hasn't anyone seen the clip on Youtube of these guys giving their speech before they play? It's as if they don't want anyone to associate them too closely with the unpopular,anti-social aspects of black metal so they've got to make sure everyone knows they're PC with roots in the punk scene. The whole thing doesn't sit right with me.

December 15, 2008, 10:45:35 PM
Having listened to two of their albums, I can hear good ideas, but they need to cut the fat and know when to conclude on a good heavy riff when they find one. There also needs to be better organization in the vocal phrasing and its placing within the song. Presentationwise, they're give off an overly tree-hugging mentality that doesn't really jive with the sound of black metal, atleast to my ears anyways.

December 15, 2008, 11:48:13 PM
Quote from: anthropoid sarcophagus
But c'mon hasn't anyone seen the clip on Youtube of these guys giving their speech before they play?

Faggots in the Bath Room don't like teh evul fashists!

December 16, 2008, 03:57:43 AM
It's hardly necessary for a review. I think we're all fairly sure it'll turn out to be negative. The conclusion based on what I've read is that they aren't as good as built up to be by their fans. My two cents is that musically, they're decent. They manage to stand above the mediocrity of recent black metal, but they could have taken their music in a better direction. Their latest, Two Hunters, has excellent production and many mildly entertaining riffs. Cream of the black metal crop? No. But worth a listen if you're looking for more music.

At least we would finally see the band rebuked in an intelligent manner.

December 16, 2008, 05:06:37 AM
You mean let down in a softer way?   There are tons other black metal bands I would rather listen too, should be the same for anyone.  Don't waist your time on them.

December 16, 2008, 12:04:09 PM
Why, you have the review of the whole band right here. anthropoid sarcophagus wrote it for you (thanks).

December 16, 2008, 08:10:36 PM
I would prefer not to waste my time paying attention to social trends, high school politics, reading gossip, and other adolescent bullshit while letting if affect my choice in music.

NHA

December 26, 2008, 04:11:41 AM
Quote from: anthropoid sarcophagus
But c'mon hasn't anyone seen the clip on Youtube of these guys giving their speech before they play?

Faggots in the Bath Room don't like teh evul fashists!

it sounds like hes apologizing for a premature ejaculation.

"this sorta thing doesn't usually happen to me i swear."

December 26, 2008, 05:59:38 PM
Gents,

Wolves in the Throne Room interview

There's our interview with WITTR.

While at first you may be put off by how hard they stress liberalism, think about it: liberalism is the one ideology that won't get you torn apart by a mob. They're trying to keep their jobs, promote their band, and not get destroyed by idiots with a grudge.

It's just like in Bolshevik Russia during the revolution, or France during their revolution. Anyone who appeared to side with the ancien regime was a troublemaker, and that gave the crowd license to loot their homes, rape their daughters, etc.

So the elites made a big show of being liberal. It's no different in America today.

I identify myself as a liberal, in that I believe in justice, but I'm also a historical literate, and I view the results of history as scientific knowledge. So I am anti-liberal in that liberal methods will lead to tyranny by failing and creating third-world disorder.

I have lived in third world places and, while their are good people there, the society at large is dysfunctional and it penalizes and isolates smart people. If humanity wants to reach great heights, we need to nurture and support smart people, and beat down idiots and corrupt people. Simple truth, but it requires work.

As a result of their fear, I think people like WITTR make a big show of being liberal. They know as well as I do that it's going to require actual work to avoid ecocide. But they're doing a good job of at least getting the meme out there. That's one step, and others need to build on it. I'd love to see a band who summarized their politics as "ecofascism" and refused to elaborate. Why? Because until we force people to stop breeding idiots, buying SUVs and large houses (new homes are 5,000 sq. ft in much of the USA) and taking over new open land, they're going to do it.

So read the interview with an open mind. If you still don't like the music, fine. It's clear that Skepticism is better. But give them some honest consideration and think about what it is to tell someone you like WITTR and Burzum for their green viewpoints.

December 27, 2008, 01:03:15 AM
As admirable(if hardly revolutionary) as their eco-consciousness may be, I remain largely unimpressed by the rest of the rambling neo-liberal gobbeldygook.

As for the music...still doesn't move me.

To each their own...

December 27, 2008, 09:13:18 AM
If one takes the long view, how "admirable" does that "eco-consciousness" look when they've sold their 'brand' to a corporation to help put more cars on the road?

I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again: Wolves in the Throne Room aren't advocating for genuine change, they're marketing themselves as yet another lifestyle accessory for wealthy liberals.  They're clearly intelligent, articulate fellows.  They're also hipster hucksters who add nothing of value to metal or the world.

December 27, 2008, 12:02:14 PM
I'm placing bets on when will discuss turn again to: "what have you done to help..."

I may be superficial but I would like WITTR a lot more if they knew when to wrap things up with a nice old SIEG HEIL.

December 27, 2008, 02:40:56 PM
If one takes the long view, how "admirable" does that "eco-consciousness" look when they've sold their 'brand' to a corporation to help put more cars on the road?

I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again: Wolves in the Throne Room aren't advocating for genuine change, they're marketing themselves as yet another lifestyle accessory for wealthy liberals.  They're clearly intelligent, articulate fellows.  They're also hipster hucksters who add nothing of value to metal or the world.

realistically, there will always be more cars on the road. id rather them be more fuel conservative and efficient than SUVs, which Scions are.

still, doesnt mask the fact that its a massive sellout on their part. metal is not advertising music.